Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Who would you pick? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

b-dizzle
Top Prospect

17 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  01:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Trailing pretty bad in my pool and Taylor Hall is one of the reasons why. Which free agent would you pick up in his place?

Point structure;
1 point for goals
1 point for assists
+3 points for hat trick - so 6 points for 3 goals
+1 point for SHG - one short handed goal = 2 points

Choices:

Tomas Kopecky
Todd Bertuzzi
Teemu Selanne
Clarke MacArthur
P.A. Parenteau
Mark Letestu
Matt Moulson
Blake Comeau
Brendan Morrison
Steve Downie
Brenden Morrow
Josh Bailey
Milan Lucic
Andrew Ladd
Keep him he''ll pick it up.

Edited by - b-dizzle on 10/22/2010 02:15:47

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  09:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patience. Unless your pool dictates to drop the player before the end of October or you do pick up all the players points for the season I would say wait. It's far too early to give up on a guy, regardless of who it is. For example, Hall had 11 shots on goal last night and looked dangerous for the entire game. That kid could snap out with a 2 goal, 1 assist kind of game any time.

And Lucic??? Really?? Under your strucutre, he does not play any PK time( that I am aware of) and his top performance to date was 17 goals and 42 points?? There are other guys that are more productive, play more minutes, and play on the PK.

Lucic is a solid hockey player and a great team player but he is a goat for hockey pools. He is the kind of pick that will lose a pool for you.

Edited by - Beans15 on 10/22/2010 09:47:53
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  10:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
taking a rookie in any year is a gamble (unless your pool specifically calls for a rookie) - anything can happen even with a blue-chip like Hall.

The list of available players that you have has a few that should get more points than Hall this year. I would consider:

- Lucic (despite what Beans says, I think he'll end up with more points than Hall this year)
- Morrow
- Downie
- Bailey

If they were all gone, I might consider Kopecky - he's getting first-group PP time in CHI with Toews/Kane. Even though you don't have a PP multiplier he'll probably get some points by default. Also Ladd - he's getting more minutes in ATL and more opportunities to score.

After that, I'd keep Hall. I don't know how many he'll get, but he's probably good for 40 points this year.
Go to Top of Page

b-dizzle
Top Prospect

17 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  21:50:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After Rene Bourque's great game tonight I'm considering adding him to this list. If you had to narrow it down to 3 or 4 guys who would they be?

Thanks for the in depth reply guys it's much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2010 :  22:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, you didn't mention Bourque was available at all - if you had he would be neck and neck with Lucic as my #1 pickup. He gets goals, and gets quite a few SHG as well (certainly SH opportunities). I hold him in as many yahoo-based pools as I can get him in, and would certainly trade Hall for him if given the opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

b-dizzle
Top Prospect

17 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  22:13:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow another 0-fer from Hall, how much longer can I keep this guy. Versteeg is another guy that's holding me down.
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2010 :  23:09:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The season hasn't come to a start displaying a players best performance. Don't loot up players until you are certain you need them.
If I had to pick one on that list it would be Bailey.
Despite Lucic's size, potential, and great start to the year; Savard is injured Boston is not in a great condition. Picking up Lucic would be unwise he will tally up 40 points? If 40 points is all you need then he is fine. Lucic's upside is that he will play Short handed, so he will get you maybe 2 short handed goals. Lucic is a consistent point getter 1 every 2 games, so I wouldn
t count on Hat-tricks.

Bailey's up sides
Is on the NY Islanders so he will get a lot of ice time. he is a Hot and Cold player so he is going to tally up Hat-Tricks.
He is currently injured so it may not be the best pick though

The Monkey is me
Go to Top of Page

Guest5806
( )

Posted - 10/24/2010 :  08:24:39  Reply with Quote
in his rookie season stamkos took like 10 games to score, then he did constistantly well, then took off the second half of the season, hall looks good
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2010 :  10:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep hall he looks like a player ready to take off

Go OILERS Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2010 :  12:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don`t forget Barry Melrose only gave Stamkos 6 - 8 mins. per game when he started out, in fact he didn`t even want him there if i remember correctly. Anyway we all know how that ended,
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2010 :  12:49:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When some of the oiler fowards struggle into a long season Hall will probally be given more ice time and should end up being a constant on their 1st power play unit, he should put up numbers.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  16:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha, how is Lucic going to get more points then Hall

Go OILERS Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  20:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1st: Mark Letestu????? P.A. Parenteau???? Surely there must be better free agents then that!

2nd: Is this a franchise pool (you keep the same players yearly)? If so, you're crazy!

3rd: As Duke pointed out, Stamkos only got 6-8 minutes a game in his 1st year, so patience.

Keep Hall.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".

Edited by - Awesome One on 11/01/2010 20:45:21
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  22:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hall and versteeg...this pool keeps going down

Awesome One raises a good point - if this is a keeper pool that would raise the value of Hall. Although, that would also raise the values of Lucic, Moulson, Ladd, perhaps Morrow, so again I'm not sure which way to go.

Beans - in all fairness to Lucic, his best season to date was also only his second season in the NHL, and he was playing on the second line and second PP unit at the time. He's now playing top line in BOS, is a very capable power forward that can score - and I might add Utemin, he's going at PPG without Savard in the lineup so far in this early season, one might wonder what he was capable of with Savard as his centre...

I think that Lucic is capable of 30g/60-70pts this year if he stays on the top line and top PP unit.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  02:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Go OILERS Go!!!

You're kidding right?
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  07:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Go OILERS Go!!!

You're kidding right?

ToXXiK, take it from a fellow Bruins fan, LUCIC IS A SIDEKICK!That is to say that he will be over shadowed by Horton's goal scoring, and Seguin's pure skill. Lucic's strength is in being a good all-around player, not being a big scorer.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".

Edited by - Awesome One on 11/02/2010 07:01:52
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  07:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
irrelevant, I just don't think Hall will total more this season.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  09:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do i sense another wager???
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  10:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

I'll bet on that!!

Hall, playing first line minutes all season, first line PP time vs Lucic playing behind a number of other players in Boston and a play who's career high is 42 points. Plus, Lucic plays a style that lends itself to more injuries than others.

Sure, I'd take Hall for more points straight up.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  12:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you do know that Lucic is playing on the first line and first PP line in BOS, right? He plays on a line with Horton and Krejci, and I believe they form the first PP unit (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't see that changing until Savard and Sturm come back from injury.

And even if they do come back, they may still keep that line together, it has been highly productive for the Bruins this year, so far.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  14:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want any part of this bet, only because imo, it's a coin toss! I prefer to bet on things that are more likely to see me win, like St. Louis making the playoffs .

Lucic is the top line left winger if i'm not mistaken? That surely won't change when Savard comes back unless they play one of their centers on the left? They will have a ridiculously rich pool of centers at that point and one has to assume there'll be a trade involving one of them? Will Marco Sturm take over top line duties? I doubt it. Either way, Lucic would have a pretty good center to play with.

Hall on the other hand, has far more upside of course, but as a rookie, is much more difficult to predict. Heck, just a week ago, there was talk he might be sent back to junior!

Anyway, fairly even bet in my book, Tox, you up for Beans' challenge?
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  15:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

you do know that Lucic is playing on the first line and first PP line in BOS, right? He plays on a line with Horton and Krejci, and I believe they form the first PP unit (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't see that changing until Savard and Sturm come back from injury.

And even if they do come back, they may still keep that line together, it has been highly productive for the Bruins this year, so far.

Actually I believe it's Lucic-Seguin-Horton.
Just for the record.

Edited by - Awesome One on 11/02/2010 15:01:41
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  15:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
according to this site: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2010/11/work_week_begin.html, you are incorrect. Unless they practice differently than they line up.

I have Lucic in 2 of my hockey pools, so I watch the Bruins boxscores. I have yet to see Seguin and Lucic get a point on the same goal, and I see an awful lot of Lucic/Horton/Krejci goals that are not on the PP. Have a look through some of the boxscores from Oct if you like. Seguin is currently lining up with Ryder and Wheeler or Recchi - which is supported by this site and boxscores.

After Lucic, BOS is pretty weak on LW - Sturm, and then Paille and Thornton. When Sturm and Savard come back from injury its hard to figure where they'll all end up, but if I were coaching the Bruins, I'd like what I've seen so far from that first line. Lucic is guaranteed to be LW on one of the top 2 lines in BOS, and will likely see top PP unit time because of his size.

Edited by - nuxfan on 11/02/2010 15:17:31
Go to Top of Page

Guest9207
( )

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  15:56:46  Reply with Quote
Boston's first line has been Horton, Lucic centered by Krecji all season. May change when Savard comes back but Lucic will for sure have a top quality centerman. Hell he could play on the third line and still have Bergeron as his set up man. Also Boston has another good looking rookie left winger in Jordon Caron. Has scored 3 times so far this year.
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  17:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

according to this site: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2010/11/work_week_begin.html, you are incorrect. Unless they practice differently than they line up.

I have Lucic in 2 of my hockey pools, so I watch the Bruins boxscores. I have yet to see Seguin and Lucic get a point on the same goal, and I see an awful lot of Lucic/Horton/Krejci goals that are not on the PP. Have a look through some of the boxscores from Oct if you like. Seguin is currently lining up with Ryder and Wheeler or Recchi - which is supported by this site and boxscores.

After Lucic, BOS is pretty weak on LW - Sturm, and then Paille and Thornton. When Sturm and Savard come back from injury its hard to figure where they'll all end up, but if I were coaching the Bruins, I'd like what I've seen so far from that first line. Lucic is guaranteed to be LW on one of the top 2 lines in BOS, and will likely see top PP unit time because of his size.

Okay then, you being the pro, i'll take your word over mine.

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  22:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

I'll bet on that!!

Hall, playing first line minutes all season, first line PP time vs Lucic playing behind a number of other players in Boston and a play who's career high is 42 points. Plus, Lucic plays a style that lends itself to more injuries than others.

Sure, I'd take Hall for more points straight up.

beans just wondering have you seen Lucic's stats so far this season 8points 8 games played.. 4 goals 4 assist... that puts him on pas for 41 goals and 41 assist... now i doubt sincerly he will end the season a point per game but i would not be surprised to see him hit the 60 point plateau without a major injury... last year was his softmore slump he is a very good offensive player,, Hall will most likly be in the 40 to 50 point range and break out next season a la Stamkos.... i think you would be the underdog in this bet by far

Pasty
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page