Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 NHL's Uglyiest Hits - Brad may brashear and more Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vintage
Top Prospect

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  13:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check this out an dwatch for at the end when bertuzzi says later that it was a disgusting hit just how he displayed it on the ice a couple years later.

Brad MAy
MCcarthy .... and much more

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TQEu67EuNac

vintage
Top Prospect

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  13:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tell me your thoughts on this ........and aswell as what u might think vancouver looks at bertuzzi now a days.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  14:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting video. I will say that Bertuzzi admits his own guilt and made immediate and passionate public apologies, in addition to several attempts to reach Steve Moore personally (all of which were refused by Moore).

He has shown a tremendous amount of remorse and was a good example of how a person SHOULD respond when they do something wrong...that is to be accountable. I didn't see Moore trying to apologize for concussing Naslund on a very dangerous and dirty hit. An inch to the left and Naslund's career could have been over too.

I know my opinion is not a popular one but I feel strongly about it. Domi's hit on Niedermeyer was much worse (the action, not the end result) and so was McSorely's on Brashear. Bertuzzi's sentence was just and fair and we need to get over it. I personally hope Bertuzzi recovers from his back injury soon and rips up the league.
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  15:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Bertuzzi made a mistake, so do many NHL players, but Bertuzzi is a good guy. He used to be one of the most loved players in the league, until that mistake. I say every one should get over it, life goes on.

Go Preds Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  16:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch the video again. The hit that Moore did on Naslund was not that dirty. Moore had him lined up and when Naslund reached for the puck, Moore stuck out his elbow. This was as much Naslund's fault as it was Moore's.

That being said, anything that is a stick to the head should be an automatic lifetime suspension in hockey. Not just the NHL, any hockey at all. Period. No questions asked.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  19:51:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Watch the video again. The hit that Moore did on Naslund was not that dirty. Moore had him lined up and when Naslund reached for the puck, Moore stuck out his elbow. This was as much Naslund's fault as it was Moore's.

I 100% agree.

Don't get me started on Bertuzzi's revenge. I don't feel sorry for the guy one bit. Of course everyone can move on, except Moore. I know it's over and can't be undone, but how would you feel if you were a young defenseman who just started what was going to be a great career in the NHL, something that had probably been your dream since you could talk and in a matter of seconds it was gone. I think Moore should at least give Bertuzzi the chance to talk to him, but regardless I will back Moore up whatever he chooses to do. This one is as much about the end result as the intention and in both cases the outcome is disgraceful.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  05:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I couldn't disagree MORE....so does that mean if a guy has me lined up, and I make a move to get out of the way and save my head, I can expect an elbow to the chops? Surely you don't really think that way....?

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche

Edited by - Novie on 02/01/2007 05:00:30
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  08:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Novie, watch the video!! Naslund was not moving to avoid the check, he reached out for the puck! If he would have had his head up(like all you hockey players are taught to do) he would have braced himself for the hit and it would have been fine. I've watched this video hundreds of times. To me, it looks like Moore had him lined up, and when Naslund reached, Moore reached with his elbow. This happens in almost every hockey game I have every watched. Maybe not to this degree and definitely not with this result, but it ALWAYS happens.

Babs, I agree with you, partially. I agree that this kids career was taken away from him, and that he has lost a lot from the incident. However, he is suing for $19 million?? I compare that to a 10 year career making $1.9/year. He was not a good player in the league and would not have made that kind of money. It's not like he can't go out and get a job today, he just can't play hockey. When it comes to a lawsuit, it's about fair compensation. And the fact that he won't even talk to Bertuzzi shows me he's all about getting as much money as he can. And why weren't Konowalchuk and Nickolishin named in the lawsuit?? Them jumping on Bertuzzi definitely didn't help the situation, it made it worse. Why are they not help at least partially accountable for the injury?? That makes it revenge. And just like your Mama always said, "Two wrongs don't make a right!"
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  11:32:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
u guys are calling the more hit on naslund clean, but u keep saying he stuck out his ELBOW, now isnt elbowing a penalty (Looks up rule book) YES so there for it was a dirty if he went outside the rules of the game, like u do when u ELBOW someone

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  14:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moore on Naslund WAS a dirty hit. And I've watched the video a thousand times. Naslund was fully extended and vulnerable and Moore took the opportunity to check his skull. Moore had ample time to let up or turn away, but rather he leaned even further into it. It was no less disgusting than Bertuzzi's hit. What's the difference? Almost nothing! 1) Both hits are allowed within the confines of the game 2) both were ethically wrong and 3) both didn't see it coming. The only difference is that a concussion is acceptable in the NHL and a broken neck is not. If Naslund had a broken neck on that play then the tables could easily have been turned and we'd all consider Moore's hit to the head repulsive.

I'm not disputing that Bertuzzi's was wrong. It was horrible. But he has acknowledged his wrong-doing, accepted his punishment and continues to attempt to make ammends. We should encourage this in society rather than continue to foster a letigious environment that breeds denial of accountability.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  15:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh give me a break, Moore's hit was your typical 2 min. elbowing penalty. It happens ample times in hockey but in this one, Naslund smashed his face on the ice, which most likely caused more damage than the hit itself. Plus, the hit was like 75% arm, 25% elbow. If it was Taylor Pyatt who got hit no one would have thought anything of it.

Leigh, you want a difference? Bertuzzi's hit was pre-meditated. That's first degree intent to injure. Moore was simply trying to hit Naslund and after a combination of events, some elbow connected and Naslund got hurt. This happens ALL the time. Why hasn't anyone sucker-punched Patrick Eaves for his clear elbowing in the head of Marc Savard? Cause it's part of the game. Usually players move on but apparently Todd Bertuzzi had the maturity of a hormone-raged 16 year old.

Beans, Steve Moore was actually a bright young player that certainly had the possibility of earning $1.9 million a year, even under the new CBA. Too bad we'll never know...

I may have exaggerated a little when it comes to my support for him. Moore certainly has the right to ignore Bertuzzi, even though he should let him get into contact with him. But Beans you did bring up a good point that he seems to be quite money-driven and while when you think about how much he could have made over his lifetime, he is being very narrow-minded. But to say that he can just go out and get another job, well I know that wouldn't console me much if my lifelong dream was to play in the NHL and I did make it. But... Steve Moore doesn't need to forget what happened, but he should at least TRY to forgive and slowly move on.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  17:03:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Babs, i think your digging a hole for yourself, your saying its not dirty but deserved a penalty, clean hits doont deserve penaltys so that was dirty according to your logic

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4040
( )

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  18:06:31  Reply with Quote
if u watch the bertuzzi hit when, when moore falls he falls on his head right?..... then once he and bertuzzi fall like four avs come piling down on the two making the injury worse.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  18:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Naslund/Moore hit was definitely deserving of a penalty. It was an elbow. However, I don't care what anyone says, I will never be convinced that Moore intended on elbowing him. Naslund was lined up and Moore was ready to hit him with what would have been a huge open ice hit. Naslund reached for the puck which took him out of Moore's direct path, and Moore then stuck out his elbow. It was a penalty no question. But Naslund put himself in the vulnerable situation.

Babs, Moore may have been said to have potential, but 12 points in 69 NHL games is not worth $1.9/year. Not before the CBA, not after it. He did ok before he got drafted, but after that, he didn’t do much in the NHL or AHL.

Couple of things I find odd. Firstly, it's been how long and this topic still brings up huge conversations?? And secondly, I am surprised that IHC has not added in his wisdom to this topic.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  19:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

Babs, i think your digging a hole for yourself, your saying its not dirty but deserved a penalty, clean hits doont deserve penaltys so that was dirty according to your logic

I never said it was a "clean" hit. It was deserving of an elbowing penalty, but it certainly was not Moore's intention to knock Naslund out for any length of time. And it MOST CERTAINLY was not any blatant, pre-meditated intent to injure. These hits happen all the time, you move on cause it's part of the game. This couldn't have been the first time one of Bertuzzi's teammates got elbowed in the head... Why did he lash out like this now?

Jay Bouwmeester only got 16 points in his first 82 games, did he not turn out to be worthy of at least $1.9 million? You can't judge what he was going to be like by a player's first season's worth of games, or even less for that matter. Especially when they're not offensive-minded D-men.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  21:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

....Leigh, you want a difference? Bertuzzi's hit was pre-meditated. That's first degree intent to injure. Moore was simply trying to hit Naslund and after a combination of events, some elbow connected and Naslund got hurt. This happens ALL the time. ....

Well I'll explain it again for all the slow learners. by definition that was SECOND degree...ie: a crime of passion. First degree involves planning AHEAD of time. Bertuzzi was momentarily pissed at him and went after him. He then challenged him FACE TO FACE and Moore chickens***ted out. He didn't lay in bed and plan out his vicious sucker punch weeks, days or even hours in advance. he decided in that very moment. Don't tell me it was planned. And another thing, I never claimed that it was an elbow. I just said it was a dirty hit (Naslund was fully exposed and Moore knew he was hitting him in the head) I do believe that both you and Beans think hits to the head are reprehensable and should be automatic suspensions. Now you're changing your story? Have a little consistency here guys!
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  01:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh give me a break, Moore's hit was your typical 2 min. elbowing penalty. It happens ample times in hockey but in this one, Naslund smashed his face on the ice, which most likely caused more damage than the hit itself. Plus, the hit was like 75% arm, 25% elbow. If it was Taylor Pyatt who got hit no one would have thought anything of it.

Babs for the record, Taylor Pyatts been great all year for the nucks, espeically now and if it was him who got elbowed i would have thought something of it

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  11:20:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seriously, watch the video again and follow it through.

1)Naslund as skating to the middle of the ice from the boards.
2) Moore was coming from the opposite side and preparing to hit Naslund, who was not in a vulnerable position at that time.
3) Naslund seen Moore coming and rather than brace for the hit, he lunged out to hit the puck.
4) After Naslund hit the puck he leaned back to try to avoid the hit.
5) Moore realized he wasn't going to hit him clean and stuck out his elbow.

That is it. If you see anything other than that, clean your glasses. There was not intent to injure on Moore's part; it was a reaction to missing the check and definitely deserving of the penalty. If Naslund would have not reached for the puck, putting himself in a vulnerable position, it would have been a great open ice hit. My point is that Naslund didn’t protect himself at all.

And 1st degree, 2nd degree?? Is there a legal system in the league now?? I don't even know why I spent the time to write this. Leigh seems to not want to see any other point of view.

I ask you one question Leigh, did Moore's actions on Naslund warrant him losing his entire hockey career at the hands of another player??

Edited by - Beans15 on 02/02/2007 11:29:01
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  17:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...And 1st degree, 2nd degree?? Is there a legal system in the league now?? I don't even know why I spent the time to write this. Leigh seems to not want to see any other point of view.

I ask you one question Leigh, did Moore's actions on Naslund warrant him losing his entire hockey career at the hands of another player??

Beans I'm listening. There was ample time for Moore to let up. but regardless I think we're both saying it was dirty. I'm saying he could have let up and you're saying it was an elbow. Either way = bad.

There is no system of "degrees of intent" that I am aware of in hockey, I was just likening it to the actual legal system for comparison, as others were making reference to it being premeditated when it was actually textbook "reactive". If there was a true system then the sucker punch that Scott Nichol pulled on Jaroslav Spacek should have merited a bigger suspension. Obviously, for better or for worse, the outcome clearly has an impact on the ruling.

Your question about Moore losing his career is rediculous. The answer is "Of course not" and if you read my posts you'll see that i clearly don't think that. I'm actually not sure why you even asked me that. I guess you didn't read my posts and just need a target. Whatever, fire away.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  19:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right, we both agree that the hit was dirty. I in no way need a target. I think what set me off what your comment that the Moore on Naslund hit was not less disgusting than Bertuzzi on Moore. You questioned "What is the difference?" My point is that there was a huge difference. Moorre's was reactive to Naslund lifting up. Bertuzzi's was chasing Moore around the ice and sucker punching him from behind. To me, that is a huge difference.

And I agree with you on the Nichol on Spacek hit. That should have been a bigger suspension. Plays like that give the NHL a bad rap in the States, as well as Canada. There is no room in My NHL for that!!

Peace Hommie!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  18:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll agree that Bertuzzi chased him down after challenging him, but it was in the heat of the moment. And yes, Moore's hit was an instant decision, but it was his decision none-the-less. In that respect I will agree that they are marginally different (in that Bertuzzi had more time to change his mind) Again, If Naslund was laying broken on the ice and his career ended we'd all be disgusted at Moore. It leads me to believe that most people base their level of disgust on the "end-result" and not the "act".

Not to be argumentative beans but I actually think the suspension on Nichol was about right. I think they handled it perfectly in fact, and it should be used as the measuring stick for the future.

I believe that as super-elite athletes (being paid more money in 1 year than most of us will make in a lifetime) that they have accepted a higher level of risk. Sports are inherently dangerous, hockey is at the top end of the dangerous scale, and at the NHL level that risk grows exponentially (with the inclusion of fighting and other accepted acts of violence) Don't get me wrong. I hope no one ever gets hurt, but that is not reality, so when they do both parties need to be accountable for their actions. I think Bertuzzi has lived up to that, whereas Moore has not.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  21:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

Again, If Naslund was laying broken on the ice and his career ended we'd all be disgusted at Moore. It leads me to believe that most people base their level of disgust on the "end-result" and not the "act".

I won't say much more cause this discussion is pretty much dead but I just wanted to address this point. I know most people judge their reaction by the end result, it's true. But in this case, for me, it could not be further from the truth. I honestly don't believe Moore's hit was all that bad. It was a 2-minute penalty, that's all there is to it, regardless of what happens to Naslund. If it was Marleau getting hit, I'd probably say the same.

As far as the Bertuzzi hit, I'm judging my reaction solely on the intent because the worst of the damage done to Moore would have been once all the players started piling onto him, rendering more severe his neck injury. The thing that disgusts me about the whole situation is that Bertuzzi WANTED to hurt him and he even publicly admitted after the Moore hit that he was going to get revenge on Moore (using different words). It's just like what Nichol did to Spacek (right?). I believe it was almost as bad (Nichol's was truly heat of the moment) because the intent was almost the same but Bertuzzi getting revenge on Moore, however it was going to occur was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, pre-meditated.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 02/05/2007 21:14:10
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  21:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree somewhat with leigh, most ppl base there opions on end result. The NHL always bases suspensions on end results

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  10:27:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right we've discussed this one a few times over the last 18 months. It is a good debate though. We can agree to disagree. Like I said, I don't think my opinion is a popular one but I'm ok with that.

Consider this, what if Moore didn't get hurt the way he did, and Bertuzzi's punch worked like it was planned and Moore turned around a they fought and got 5 minutes each with an extra 2 to Bertuzzi for instigating? What then? This is a forgotten, non-issue is what. Because that is exactly what happened in the Naslund incident. The concussion was acceptable by everyone outside of the Vancouver.

The one thing that grabs my attention about what you are saying babs is that you think the hit on Naslund was ok, but yet in other threads you go off quite adamantly about how hits to the head should be automatic severe suspensions regardless of whether it was intentional or not. I'm confident that you can't dispute that this was a hit to the head. (For the record I on the other hand think that ONLY if the hit was intentional should it be looked at by the league - which I believe this one was). I bring this up because i'm not sure where you stand on this now, maybe you could clarify.

But my original point that I attempted to debate is that Bertuzzi is making himself accountable. It's no excuse but at least he's a man about it.

Did anyone consider that the reason Moore is not playing right now is because it is bad for his court case? I don't necessarily believe it, I'm just posing the thought.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  11:12:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying not to beat a dead horse, but I agree with Leigh's last comment. I think that Moore is milking this for as much money as possible, and that is why he is not playing right now.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  11:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leigh I see how you think I may be inconsistent and maybe you can help me out...

I searched a few of my posts on the subject and noticed that I actually don't sway too much. When we were talking about Torres's hit on Michalek from last year's playoffs, I was clear that I thought it was dirty because the intent to hurt Michalek was clearly there and the hit was very late. I also searched through the knee on knee hits thread where I was adamant about that type of hit being punished because I do believe most of these occurences are intentional. I didn't find any other serious discussion about hits to the head on my part, but if you do find some that may be contradicting other things I've said, post them and I could address them appropriately.

This hit was no doubt a hit to the head, but I can't be convinced it was Moore's intention. He had Naslund lined up for the hit, and at the last second Naslund made himself very vulnerable by reaching for the puck, thus exposing his head. I find that very different from skating around with your elbow up (Torres, Exelby - remember that sick hit on Paul Ranger last year? - Armstrong, and many other dirty players) and hitting players long after they've gotten rid of the puck.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  13:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool babs, we've been chatting for a long time on this site so it would be a challenge to find it I'm sure (especailly after over 1000 posts! ) It was what I recalled. I'll concede for lack of evidence. Wouldn't a search function be nice in these forums though?

I am, however, confident that Moore took advantage of a dangerously exposed Naslund and CHOSE not to let up when he could have and used his head as a target. That makes it a dirty hit to me. I guess we differ on opinions. But having said that, I'm not all that appauled by "dirty" hits, I think they are a part of the professional game and players live under a different set of rules on the ice. Let the league police it and keep the legal system out of it, but that is another discussion all together.

And lke I said in my initial post on this subject. I believe that the Domi elbow on Neidermeyer was MUCH, MUCH worse than both the Bertuzzi and Moore hits. okeedokee.

hey cool...450 posts. woohoo!

Edited by - leigh on 02/06/2007 13:13:33
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  13:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair enough, let's make it an even concession...

By the way, there is a search, that's what I used haha. It's right above the Forum hierarchy links on the top left, under the PickupHockey logo.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  14:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fair enough, let's make it an even concession...

By the way, there is a search, that's what I used haha. It's right above the Forum hierarchy links on the top left, under the PickupHockey logo.

Sweet! Thanks Babs!
Go to Top of Page

portman21
Top Prospect

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  17:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
k how about another dirty hit... claude lemiux on kris draper.. the hit from behind into the lip of the boards head first...
whats peoples view on that hit and was the punishment of 2 game?!?
also wanted to add that, draper suffered a broken nose, jaw, cheekbone, and suffered a concussion and also had to have reconstructive surgery on his face...

Take care comb your hair
Go to Top of Page

vintage
Top Prospect

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  09:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you no it was a cheap shot but comon when lawsuits get involved in that thats going to far and i mean what about fighting if someone broke there neck fighting would they sue or be able to still?
Go to Top of Page

the hockey guy
Rookie

Canada
135 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  19:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it funny how Bertuzzi said 5 years ago that the league should do something about the ugly hits and he goes and does one himself.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  09:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone see Bertuzzi getting harrassed by the Detroit media about the Moore incident yesterday? He looked like he wanted to decapitate everyone around him. Just when you thought he answered the question and they'd move on, the reporter kept prying about how he can live with knowing what he did, LOL. Boy oh boy...
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  11:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyone see Bertuzzi getting harrassed by the Detroit media about the Moore incident yesterday? He looked like he wanted to decapitate everyone around him. Just when you thought he answered the question and they'd move on, the reporter kept prying about how he can live with knowing what he did, LOL. Boy oh boy...

I vote Big Bert "Next PLayer to Snap on the Media"

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

guinman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  23:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Novie

quote:

I vote Big Bert "Next PLayer to Snap on the Media"

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche

The "intent" discussion regarding Bert's hit on Moore is retardely over blown. what we have clearly here is another famous "punishment by injury" as oppossed to the true intent and severity of the attack. Just like minor hockey. The NHL again ridiculously over reacted again based on media hype which originated from the local Vancouver retardo's covering the team and the fact that in Canada - hockey is always the lead sports story.

Look at Matt Johnson ending Beukaboom's career on a quiet warm night in LA. Talk about intent! Talk about finishing a guy's career! The knee jerk reaction never occured on this much more blatant intentful episode than
Bertuzzi ever inflicted on Moore because Hockey has no media attention in the States. The National Sports media in the U.S. combs the affiliates for stories. The local highlite shows that night in LA never even mentioned the episode between Johnson and Beukaboom - thus no national attention in the U.S. In Vancouver, local wing-nut Don Taylor when off his rocker freaking out about Bert's hit on Moore and led the show at 11 completely lamb-baisting Todd. That's why it was picked up Nationally in the States - because it appeared to be a huge local story, after all, The incident was first story on the sports page(tv show). This started the frenzy. Like I said, National news combs the affiliates for stories. So Todd can also thank our local nut-bars for getting their panties in a knot based on Moore's terrible injury instead of putting into perspective as it should have been. Johnson would have got the same treatment if the local media gave him the same lead story attention, only more deservedly so.

Frankly, Moore got what was coming to him. Not in the sense of his injury, but the retribution attack by Todd or anybody else for what he did to Naslund, which should have occured in Colorado to begin with. Let's examine intent. Again I will say that all of the reaction about what Bert's intent was and how serious the attack was is totally off-base and nothing more than a product of Moore's serious injury. Todd called Moore out repeatedly, thus announcing his presence. Then Todd chased Moore half way accross the ice from behind then punched Moore on the side of the head WITH HIS GLOVE ON. Based on intent and severity of the attack, I would ask why on earth has nobody gotten their panties in a bunch over about a dozen way more serious episodes in the last 15 yrs? I can tell you why, because nobody got seriously hurt!

One that stands out in particular was the 98 or 99 playoff series between the leafs and the penguins. The reason I mention it because it is almost EXACTLY the same as what Bert did but way worse. The only difference was the severity of the injury. Tie Domi approached Kasparitus from behind like Todd, except completely unannounced, dropped his right glove and absolutely cold cocked Darius on his right temple exactly where Moore was punched. Darius went down in a simular fashion. Fortunately for Domi and Darius, Kaspar had a mild concusion and I believe only missed 1 game. I think Domi was suspended for 1-2 games? One thing for sure, when I saw the attack on Moore it totally reminded me of the exact thing that Tie did. Tell me stone throwers, who had more intent? Domi who came from behind unannounced and who dropped his glove to punch Darius bare handed or Todd who chased the coward Moore halfway across the rink announcing his presence and punching him in the head with his glove on? Obviously a critical thinking, rational person would think that domi had more intent to injure than Todd. What was said off the ice is irrelevant. What is done on the ice is. Why all the attacking of Bert's character over intent? That play could, and has happened 100 times in pro hockey with no serious injury. Let's cut the crap here and acknowledge that what Bert did was wrong but only the severity of Moore's injury is the basis for the punishment and the knee-jerk reaction of how bad Todd's "intent" was. Hell if it happened in the U.S. it wouldn't have even been news down there - it wouldn't have even been on the local sports highlites that night. Thus no national story. Then of course the Gutless NHL brass throws the book at Bert to save it's face over the Media fury instead of calling it for what it was and defending the game and players. Based on Todd's suspension, I'd say that about 6 other incidents in the past should of had double the suspension Todd recieved. What a joke. Berts incident has morons across N.A. who don't really give a $hit about hockey and who have no basis of knowledge of past incidents in hockey talking smack about how bad Todd is and how bad the game is. "he should be suspended for life" - you get the idea. What a friggen joke.

It's truly amazing that after the fact, people can get so emotional over the severity of the injury and hate the perpetraitor when moments before they we're cheering for the attack! I would submit that Todd had no more intent to injure Moore than the fans did in their minds. It's part of the game and it just got out of hand when somebody's seriously hurt. Aren't you all glad that you can wash your hands of it and Todd gets to face the music?

Shame on the stone throwers!

By the way, Moore was a fringe player who was running at other players trying to make a name for himself besides Naslund. He never had a very promising career.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  00:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

yeah i saw that i thought those guys in the media were being d***s, the one guy asked him about moore he said he didnt want to talk about it and what does the next guy f***in do, asks him the same f***ing question pardon my french but its getting f***ing retarted the incident happend like three years ago and ppl still only wanna talk to bert about that

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

dummy101
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  06:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Frankly, Moore got what was coming to him. Not in the sense of his injury, but the retribution attack by Todd or anybody else for what he did to Naslund"-You are right.I watched Moore cut 2 Calgary guys and another player,with high sticks, in games the week prior to Bert trying to fight with him.Moore was nothing more than a "dirty" Sean Avery.As for his hit on Naslund ,Naslund was on his way down,off balance,when Moore went down after his head with an elbow.If that ain't dirty, and intending to injure,I don't know what is!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  09:01:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guinman, welcome to the forum.

I would really like to reply to your lengthy post about the Bertuzzi incident, but before I do that, can you please answer me a few questions.

1) Is your profile correct?? Are you from Langley??

2) If you feel this situation was blown out of proportion, what do you think a just punishment should have been??

Once you reply, I would love to make a rebuttal to your post.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  12:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott Steven's Top Ten Hits http://youtube.com/watch?v=7U7jUbKQYdw&mode=related&search=
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page