Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Trivia & Other Games
 Googler's?? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  10:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else find it very annoying to have people google the right answer to a trivia question as a first try?? Why not take a guess using your hockey knowledge rather than going to the books or google right away. I am not saying that I don't do that, but never on the first guess and I give a chance to have other people guess. If there have been more than 5 guesses and no one got it, then go look it up. Before that, use a guess. It sure doesn’t impress me. Anyone can type in a search in google.

Anyone else agree??

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  10:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not here to impress people...

After all tomorrow is another day...
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  10:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
honestly doesn't make a difference to me. i want to know the answer, so if someone googles and puts in the right answer then i get answers faster. good times.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  11:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I know that when I asked trivia, I asked that people be respectful and not share their answers if they had to research it on the internet. Most often, the point of trivia is to test people's knowledge, not their researching capabilities. But the point also is to ask reasonable questions, and not ones that require someone to dig into hockey's dusty archives to find the answer. PuckNuts' questions are kind of like that and I have no problem with him doing it but I'm just saying it defeats the purpose of the meaning I have of trivia.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  12:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the point of asking trivia questions if everyone just looks up the answers? As babs said, that defeats the purpose. It just becomes a race as to who can find it on Google the fastest; takes the fun out of trying to guess the answers. After 5 or so wrong guesses or if it's a real hard question, THEN people could look it up, but otherwise what's the point?
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  12:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When someone gives an answer how do you know how they came across the information ?

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  12:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You don't, but if they repeatedly get the correct answers on the first try, you know something's fishy....
Go to Top of Page

Buick92
Top Prospect

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  12:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People that say they don't google, do it the most...
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  12:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did it ever occur to anyone that some people are smarter than others...

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...
Go to Top of Page

Buick92
Top Prospect

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  12:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was that a shot at me ?
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  12:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, certainly some people are smarter than others. But smart enough to answer every single question right every single time? I dunno....But if you are, that's great. But that's not the point. The point is, if you don't know the answer, don't look it up and then post it before other people have had a chance to answer. Just guess or stay out of it.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/05/2007 12:59:53
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  13:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are my questions to hard for you ?

Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  13:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to think people respect the honour system and that when we ask people to guess without looking it up, or if they look it up not to share the answer, that they respect my wish. If you don't want to that's your problem (not directed at anyone in particular), but it just takes the whole point out of asking these questions.

And PuckNuts, of course some people know more than others and theres no way to prove whether or not someone looked up an answer. Your questions were very difficult ones though, where you pretty much HAVE to look up the answer. Even for the relatively easier ones I didn't know, I sure did look them up - I won't deny it. I was courteous enough to not share my answer afterwards though and I would hope all would do the same.

I think the point here is that people who want to answer the trivia questions should respect the conditions of the person asking the question. I didn't want anyone researching the answers to my questions because they weren't EXTREMELY hard, but PuckNuts said that he didn't mind people using Google for his because they were harder questions, so Google away.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  13:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PuckNuts--On several of them I could've taken wild guesses but they would've been wrong, since the answers were not players I would've guessed. I did notice that on every single question it took tons of incorrect guesses to finally get it right, and whoever did get it right said it "took some digging" or something like that. So in general I'd say your questions are harder than the rest of ours. Googling on hard ones is different than googling on the average-level ones.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/05/2007 13:07:51
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  13:10:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you, no problem. By the way I don't even use google, but if you like I could give you a list of books I have read...The best ones are Total Hockey (second addition) its more than 2 inches thick with all kinds of Hockey Information, and Weird facts about hockey, not as big but full of interesting hockey stories...

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  13:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, I'll have to go to Barnes & Noble tonight, LOL
(That's a bookstore chain...I know they've got Chapters in Canada, dunno about B&N )
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  21:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did you make out at the book store, there are hundreds of good books to read about hockey...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page