Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Oilers - Who's time is up? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  12:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is for all oil fans out there.
Who do you think will be gone?
And of course why.
Also lets try to put our self in KLowe place and do what is best for the team and not what we would like to see happen.

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  21:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say Jason Smith & Steve Staios for the Defence. Possibly M.A Bergeron. Smith & Staios are our veterans on the blue line but you wouldn't know it by watching them play. I know that Green & Bergeron arn't the greatest, but they're still young and have a lot to learn. They only learn how to Block shots from Smith. Right now Hejda & Smid are the best on the team right now. We need a talented veteran defenceman. Smith & Staios are gunna get any better so send them somewhere else.

For forwards I would ship Lupul, Sykora & Torres. I like Sykora & Torres, but they could most likely pick up some good players for those guys. Sykora hasn't done much as of late & needs someone to do all the work for him, so he can wire a shot from the slot. Lupul has just had a bad season & should go. I would say Horcoff but there is no denying the chemistry between him & Smyth.

Also It's time for Roloson to go. We should be looking for a younger goalie with lots of potential such as Ray Emery. If they keep him they should play him & Markkanen like San Jose does. Swith every night. He's not capable of play 50+ games a season. Save him for the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  22:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are my thoughts on the team:

Forwards

1) Ryan Smyth- KEEPER -if Lowe can not sign him, he should be burned at the stake

2)Hemsky-KEEPER-he would demand one of the top young players in the league or an elite goalie to move. He will stay. Would be a top 10 player in the league with better decisions at the blue lines and 10-15 more goals a year.
3) Horcoff - KEEPER - I don't like him, but he clicks with Smyth and Hemsky
4) Stoll -KEEPER - Works hard, kills penalties, scores big goals. Does the intangibles. Can't get rid of him.
5) Pisani - KEEPER - one of the best penalty killers in the league. Gave him a big raise, gotta give him a chance.
6)Torres - TIME'S UP - Too streaky, too hot headed. Package him up for a D-Man.
7) Lupul - KEEPER - he needs a set up man to shine. Too much of a spotlight on him. He's only 23 and this is just his 2nd full season. Too early to give up him.
8)Sykora - TIME'S UP - Getting old, not producing without a set up man. Hemsky can only play with so many guys. Package with Torres.
9)Nedved - TIME'S UP - He will finsih the season here with limited ice. Not worth anything in a trade. He is done after this year.
10)Reasoner - KEEPER - Solid two way player. Knows his role, and is great on the PK.
11)Moreau - KEEPER - 2nd to Smyth as team leader. Injured, but another solid 3rd or 4th line 2 way player.
12) Peterson -ON THE FENCE - if someone wants him and the deal is right, it might be worth it to move him. He can play both forward and Defense and he is fast and responsible. Will never have a permanent home on a team filled with great two way role players.

Defense

1)J.Smith - TIME'S UP - for no other reason but it's time to put the C on the chest of the right Smyth, and he is have a very poor year. Still the best shot blocker in the league and a good shut down D-Man. They won’t take the C off his chest, but it should go to Smyth so he has to go.
2)Staios - TIME'S UP - Not sure if he is worth much on the market, but he could go in a package for a much more responsible D Man and a younger player.
3)Bergeron - TIME'S UP - He is easily the most unreliable D-Man in the system. He speed and fast (but very inaccurate) shot can not take him any further
4)Greene - KEEPER -young and aggressive stay at home defensemen. Mark my words. In the next 3-5 years he will be a highly regarded shut down d-man in this league
5)Smid - KEEPER - young and arguably the Oilers best D this year. He will only get better and he already has some serious skills.
6)Roy - KEEPER - could be an amazing offensive defenseman and he is also pretty responsible with the puck.

Goalies

Both Time is up. Roloson is not a starting goalie. Never has been, never will be. Lowe signing him to a 3 year contract when he is 37 was a very bad move. Jussi is not bad, but not good either. Time for a new team in the pipes.

There are a number of players left of the list. Winchester, Thorenson, etc. The Oilers have serious depth in 3rd and 4th line forwards, but then need more 1st and 2nd line players, puck moving D-Men, and a new goalie squad. If the Oilers are not reasonably in the playoff race in the next two weeks, I think there needs to be a fire sale in Edmonton.

Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  23:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can agree with all that. We could get a pretty good package in return if we gave up Sykora, Torres & Smith.
Oil Guy, I wanna hear what you think.
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  17:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds good to me too, except for the Horcoff thing. Yes, he does blend with Smyth and Hemsky, mostly because he gets out of their way so they can score. WE NEED A NEW FIRST LINE CENTER also!!!!.

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  18:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think It's time for Pisani to hit the road, he may be good PKer but he just Isn't playing well at all

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  19:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But he's the home town hero!
Go to Top of Page

oil guy
Rookie

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  08:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i think ..
smyth keeper at any price
hemsky keeper- will develop in his 5 remaining years to become an elite player
horcoff- trade him- paid too much for him and not worth the money
pisani- trade him same as horcoff
lupol- keep him- i think he will be a good player once he settles in -maybe not this year but for sure next
torres- keep him- very streaky but when he is on he can change the game be it a huge hit or a timely do it yourself type goal- mact just needs to channel him better
sykora- keep him if the price is right if not let him go no one else was really interested and i dont think that will change
reasoner- keep him hard working 4th liner
stoll- keep him another up and coming elite
nedved- again keep him if the price is right- low- not woth anything in a trade and given an actual chance is a good 2- 3 liner
moreau - definate keeper when healthy is second to smyth in work ethic and teamleadership
the rest of the front line is trade available imo

smith - needs C taken and give to the true leader - not for poor performance as a C but just not a true C - could be traded if the deal is right - the team already has bought into the block the shot mentality thanks to his lead but thats is all he does anymore the team needs more on the backside
staios - keeper - like the way he jumps up into the play- needs a stay at home partner to keep any screw ups in check, a watered down p. coffey
bergeron- needs to go- package him up to carry the other players stick to the next rink or straight out trade him for a bag of pucks and two jocks but send him packing
smid - keeper great young dman
greene - keeeper unless the deal is right - will develop into a great dman-but needs the time- not sure if the oilers have that luxury
the rest of the back end is tradable

rolosen- a good goalie but only a good goalie and needs to be more to be a starter - what would it be like if the oilers did not block as many shots as they do? -to pricey for a back up but that is what he should be so he needs to go for a legitimate #1
markanen - good back up- could live with out but if we keep him then play him more could develop into a stellar back or a good #1 on another team- not a #1 for the oilers, their style dictates the need for a real #1

klowe - doing ok but has a gretz mentality on hiring old friends
mact - doing ok but would be better if he busted few heads more often to motivate - too soft spoken in dealing with a group of young guys, needs to crack the whip
any one else?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page