Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Brad Richards trade rumors Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  15:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
There has been rumors from thn that Brad Richards will get traded. I've heard maybe to the Leafs. Will he get traded? Tell me why he won't/will get traded and which team will offer for him.(if thats what the stars want)

Choices:

Yes
Maybe
What? Why trade him?

Edited by - Beans15 on 11/28/2010 15:13:13

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  15:46:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dallas can't afford him, and I agree with Bob Mackenzie saying that after July 1st Richards has a real good chance of becoming a New York Ranger.

As to an actual trade? Maybe to LA as a rental? He'd be gone by July 1.

My money is on the Rangers, but only out of Free Agency.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  16:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Joe said that brad loves playing Here and he has no intent to move him THIS year.
Next year anything can go.
I would nothing will happen to my boy brad, but for the time bieng, I am sure he
is staying put.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  17:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless the Stars get new ownership, he is gone at or before the deadline. I don't know the details of his deal (NMC, NTC) but the Stars will not let him go in July for nothing at all. They will get something for him if they know they can't sign him in the off-season. The other thing people have to consider is that at the trade deadline, the contract value is far less and teams can accept that portion of the salary under their cap. They don't need the full $7 million or whatever he is worth. It opens the door for many other teams.

LA not a bad choice, but who does he displace?? The Kings are solid up the middle with Kopitar, Handzus, Stoll, and Richardson. Richard's doesn't make sense there to me.

Personally, after looking at a numbers of teams I think Montreal is a good fit if they could find a way to off load Gomez. Even without dropping Gomez as a rental he would fit well there. Could play #1 centre and give them a huge upside going into the playoffs. As Gomez continues to float, Richards is a great replacement for what Gomez should be doing offensively and would make Montreal even more of a legitimate player for the Cup in the East.

Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  18:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that trading him to New York could work well.

Him, Gaborik, and Callahan would be lethal on the same unit!

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  18:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If DAL trades Richards, it is ONLY because they cannot sign him next year because they don't want to spend the (likely) 7.5M per that he'll command. So if they trade him, they'll not be taking on salary in return.

NYR are only 1.5M away from the cap this year, so they could theoretically get him as a rental in the spring and that is all. But next year they have 17M in cap space to sign 13 players. After signing Richards, 10M for 12 players, yikes! Its very difficult to build a winner when you have 3 forwards @ 7+M and a goalie @ 6.9M. Thats 4 players making half your cap.

Semin - if DAL is not in the playoff hunt come March, he will be dealt for sure. No matter how much he likes playing there.

As a UFA next fall, I would have to think that TOR would be a likely landing pad. Not many teams have a desperate need for a top line centre and the cap space to fit him in.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  21:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Montreal would def be a good fit, i just can't see them getting rid of Gomez. They're strapped with that overpaid contract without a lot of chance to get out of it!

Go to Top of Page

Guest4125
( )

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  08:59:21  Reply with Quote
from a pure trade stand point Toronto is not in the hunt, simply because they have nothing of value to offer that would be considered a "tradeable asset". but come July 1st, if he's still on the market you can bet they'll be serious players.
Go to Top of Page

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  13:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People are saying he might be going to Toronto cause Toronto wants him, he isn't worth anybody from their team
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  13:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Unless the Stars get new ownership, he is gone at or before the deadline. I don't know the details of his deal (NMC, NTC) but the Stars will not let him go in July for nothing at all. They will get something for him if they know they can't sign him in the off-season. The other thing people have to consider is that at the trade deadline, the contract value is far less and teams can accept that portion of the salary under their cap. They don't need the full $7 million or whatever he is worth. It opens the door for many other teams.

LA not a bad choice, but who does he displace?? The Kings are solid up the middle with Kopitar, Handzus, Stoll, and Richardson. Richard's doesn't make sense there to me.

Personally, after looking at a numbers of teams I think Montreal is a good fit if they could find a way to off load Gomez. Even without dropping Gomez as a rental he would fit well there. Could play #1 centre and give them a huge upside going into the playoffs. As Gomez continues to float, Richards is a great replacement for what Gomez should be doing offensively and would make Montreal even more of a legitimate player for the Cup in the East.

As a habs fan this thought hadn't occured to me, but if there were a way the habs could dump Gomez for anything i mean anything. I don't mind Gomez as a player in the 4million range but at 7.5 i just can't handle how little he does for that cap hit. A lot of people say the Advantage with Gomez is expirence, been there won it all, Well Richards has done it all aswell and is a far better player at any end of the rink! I think i would put out a flyer anyone interessted in Gomez can have him for anything, like Scott Gomez for Drew Daniels (if you're thinking who is that exactly my point) After you dump Scotty, try and package something for Richards and then give him Gomez's contract 7.5 m for the next 4 or 5 years,,, Plekanec , Richards gives you two great two way centers capable of doing it all, if this were at all possible i would lov to see this happen!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  14:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say he goes to Toronto or NY Rangers . . . certainly not Montreal, no way to fit him in there.

And the Leafs do have things to offer back . . . just look at past guys of his stature that have been traded before or at the deadline - it's not as much as some people think. Which is why a smart GM doesn't trade guys at the deadline that are as valuable as Richards . . . but it really seems their hand might be forced.

I voted maybe, but I think it's about 60% that he gets traded before the deadline.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  14:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

As a habs fan this thought hadn't occured to me, but if there were a way the habs could dump Gomez for anything i mean anything. I don't mind Gomez as a player in the 4million range but at 7.5 i just can't handle how little he does for that cap hit. A lot of people say the Advantage with Gomez is expirence, been there won it all, Well Richards has done it all aswell and is a far better player at any end of the rink! I think i would put out a flyer anyone interessted in Gomez can have him for anything, like Scott Gomez for Drew Daniels (if you're thinking who is that exactly my point) After you dump Scotty, try and package something for Richards and then give him Gomez's contract 7.5 m for the next 4 or 5 years,,, Plekanec , Richards gives you two great two way centers capable of doing it all, if this were at all possible i would lov to see this happen!

Patsy, NYR is probably saying the same thing, but substitute Drury for Gomez. Both have about the same chance of dumping their fail centres without taking something equally failing back - zero.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  15:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I say he goes to Toronto or NY Rangers . . . certainly not Montreal, no way to fit him in there.

And the Leafs do have things to offer back . . . just look at past guys of his stature that have been traded before or at the deadline - it's not as much as some people think. Which is why a smart GM doesn't trade guys at the deadline that are as valuable as Richards . . . but it really seems their hand might be forced.

I voted maybe, but I think it's about 60% that he gets traded before the deadline.

Remember, this is at the trade deadline. That means there will be around 20 games left in the season meaning any team picking up that contract will only have to find about $1.8 million in the cap.

Why wouldn't Dallas take a package including a 2nd or 3rd round pick and a player line Pouliet or Georges. As stated, players at the deadline have a very weaken value.

I am quite sure that Richards has a no movement clause as well. Why, on earth, would he go to a non contender at the deadline when he can go to a contender. What is his value worth if he has back to back 90+ point seasons AND a Cup??

TO I think it a likely spot for him on July 1st but not in February.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  17:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
Patsy, NYR is probably saying the same thing, but substitute Drury for Gomez. Both have about the same chance of dumping their fail centres without taking something equally failing back - zero.

Hang on a sec nuxfan! You can't think for a second that the Rangers could dump BOTH Gomez AND Drury? Getting rid of Gomez was amazing enough! Could they really rid themselves of Drury as well? Didn't they sign both these guys to these ridiculous contracts on the same day?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  18:31:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess you're right Beans - yeah, Montreal could squeeze him in. But with absolutely no interest either way being expressed, where there's no smoke, there's probably no fire.

Montreal as an organisation doesn't often do the trade deadline deal anyways, from off the top of my memory. The Rangers are famous for it; and Toronto hasn't been too shy from these kinds of deals either . . . although I'd suspect Burke would go for him earlier rather than later.

Also - Dallas would love a Kaberle. They have missed a power play guy on the point ever since the retirement of Zubov . . . and although it looks like right now Burke might want to keep Kabby, to get a player of Richards' quality, you have to give up something (provided he signs long term, of course).

But you could be right - Richards might want a contender.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  09:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come to think of it, Kaberle makes a ton of sense on paper. But if Dallas still doesn't have solid ownership I believe they will be sporting a Nashville like bargin basement roster next season. For that reason, Kaberle only fits there without Richards and most likely moving Riberio. That means a poor team to which Kaberle would not likely be interested in staying. So why is Dallas going to move a player for another player they will lose anyway.

Regardless of where Richards goes, it will be for an affordable roster player. I bet the farm on it!

However, you are very correct in that Montreal is not generally a player on the deadline date and TO and NYR are traditionally big players. That being said, I don't think Montreal has been this good for a long time and I would think with all but Subban and Spacek on their defense as either an RFA or a UFA at the end of the season, who knows if Montreal will be able to build a defense as good as they have this season over the summer.

If it's not Richards, mark my words that Montreal will make a move for some other player to shore up their scoring before the trade deadline.
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  10:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, Kaberle for Richards straight up makes a lot of sense
Dallas gets the defensan they've been missing since Zubov and Toronto gets their #1 center.

I could totally see that trade happening.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  11:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hang on a sec nuxfan! You can't think for a second that the Rangers could dump BOTH Gomez AND Drury? Getting rid of Gomez was amazing enough! Could they really rid themselves of Drury as well? Didn't they sign both these guys to these ridiculous contracts on the same day?

You never know - I never thought they'd get rid of Gomez but they did. Drury could be moved for parts, or simply buried in the minors a-la Redden. If they wanted Richards bad enough, they'd find a way to get rid of Drury to make it happen.

quote:

Ya, Kaberle for Richards straight up makes a lot of sense
Dallas gets the defensan they've been missing since Zubov and Toronto gets their #1 center.

I could totally see that trade happening.

As others have said, on paper this looks like a good swap, but in reality I don't see it happening. The only way this happens is if Kaberle signs long-term in DAL - and why would he? Beans is right, he'll be one of the most highly prized UFA's this summer, and would have his pick of contenders to go to. Why sign longterm with a team that is a weak contender at best, with an uncertain financial/management future?

If DAL is really going to go for Kaberle, they'll probably wait until the offseason when anyone can have him - why give up Richards for him now, when Richards is so important to the current success that they're having?
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  13:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Kaberle went to Boston? He has been in a few rumors involving them.

I sure hope he does!!!

Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  13:29:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wont happen but I hope Edmonton gets him, they need a great Veteran to lead the rookies into All-Stars.

The Monkey is me
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  15:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What if Kaberle went to Boston? He has been in a few rumors involving them.
I sure hope he does!!!

I hope that Kaberle does not waive his NTC this year and goes for next to nothing for bargaining rights on June 29th. That would hopefully teach Burke to not waive your star players around like bait for the better part of 2 years.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  15:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Utemin

It wont happen but I hope Edmonton gets him, they need a great Veteran to lead the rookies into All-Stars.

The Monkey is me

The Oilers will be taking Sean Couterier #1 in about 8 months who will be all the centre they need. They don't need Brad Richards to bring the kids along. They need a good coach to bring the kids along. They have more than enough leadership with Horcoff, Hemsky, Whitney and the likes.

Signing Richards in Edmonton would mean in two years one of the rookies today would not be able to be signed.

Dumb hockey move in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  15:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really can`t see Toronto giving up any more youth ( of value ) after giving away their two 1st round picks. Players like D`amigo, Blacker, Ross, Mckegg, Kadri are more valuable to them now more-so than ever. If the leafs make a move for Richards i think it will more likely involve, definitely Kaberle and maybe someone who is not real high payroll...Kuleimen maybe ??

The leafs have had 2 diffrent teams over the past 2 seasons and still aren`t winning. It`s time for them to realize that you have to mostly build from within, then add some good free agents and maybe 1 or 2 players through trade.

Can`t see Montreal ever ridding themselves of Gomez...boy what a brutal contract, i think Gainey took a lot of heat for this one. Why didn`t he just simply sign Gaborik instead of giving Sater this option...unbelieveable. If he made this move who knows what Montreal could have done last season.
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  19:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:
Originally posted by Utemin

The Monkey is me

The Oilers will be taking Sean Couterier #1 in about 8 months who will be all the centre they need. They don't need Brad Richards to bring the kids along. They need a good coach to bring the kids along. They have more than enough leadership with Horcoff, Hemsky, Whitney and the likes.

Signing Richards in Edmonton would mean in two years one of the rookies today would not be able to be signed.

Dumb hockey move in my opinion.

I think Utemin meant Kaberle.

Edmonton better not finish last, Boston has a spot warming up for Croutier!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page