Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ladge
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  10:28:43  Show Profile
Contributed by: Frederick Lajeunesse

Don Cherry this, Don Cherry that! Well, are any of you like me or am I the only one? I think Don Cherry is out of whack sometimes. Actually, I think he just steps out of line on occasion. What I am referring to more specifically is how he went on a rant on Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday, November 22, 2003. Yes, Good Ol' Don lost it.

The topic of interest was the wave of television commercials that are aired by Hockey Canada to educate hockey parents on behaving properly at their son or daughter’s hockey games. The campaign’s slogan is: Relax; it’s just a game. For those who have missed Cherry’s rant, here is a little excerpt:

"I'm absolutely furious at the CHA (now Hockey Canada). This is a family show, I can't really say what I want to say about these commercials,"

"Putting down all the hockey parents - that's what they've done,"

"Bob Nicholson said there were only one per cent of parents who are whacko at the games. I go to games with my son Tim for six years, I have never seen one.”

"When there is one, they put it on the front page. Those commercials are sickening."

Ok, we all know that not all parents get out of control when they watch their kid’s hockey games. But trust me, some do get a little out of line. In my years of hockey, I have seen many parents crossing that invisible line. It is only a game after all.

I don’t know about you but I find Don Cherry a little annoying from time to time. Sometimes, he gets out of control and Don MacLean has to settle him down a little. But worse, I find that he gets his nose involved in subjects that really, he has no reason to get involved in. What Cherry needs to do is stick to hockey related subjects.

Furthermore, Don Cherry is also biased. Take for example the case of Sidney Crosby. Here is a kid who, at the age of 16, is dominating the QJMHL. (27 goals, 40 assists, in 29 games) The kid is amazing and has been called by Gretzky: The Next Best Thing. Well, the kid scored a highlight reel goal the other night and Don Cherry calls him a “Hot Dog” player. Listen, Crosby is 16 years old, and the goal he scored was amazing. From behind the net, he picked up the puck with his blade, and put it in the net. If Crosby played in the OHL or if he was Ontarian, Cherry would love the guy. (Or if his name was Gilmour…something must have happened between the two of them).

In addition, when Cherry talks about the situation in Quebec and the language laws, he steps out of his knowledge area. What does he know about the French culture? Anyways, that’s a different topic altogether and that’s why I’ll stay away from it.

All and all, Don Cherry is getting to me. If he stuck to hockey it would be great for all of us. Don’t get me wrong, I love the guy when the Olympics are on…he’s so patriotic and we need people like him. (It won’t be me!) Hockey Night in Canada just wouldn’t be the same without him.

Frederic Lajeunesse
Have an opinion on Fred's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts.
Pickuphockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute articles on a regular basis drop us an email. admin@pickuphockey.com

wonderpuck
Top Prospect

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  20:32:55  Show Profile
This is blasphemy! It's like going up against the church 100 years ago. You could get linched for this!
Go to Top of Page

O.K.
Top Prospect

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  17:15:33  Show Profile
I'm curious about the whole Don Cherry-effect on the average Joe Canadian. I suppose he's knows what he's talking about when it comes to hockey (not that I'm sure about that, I usually turn the TV to a different channel when he comes on...) But the guy is too much! He always makes me think of the WWF or whatever it's called now. Not that I'm saying Don Cherry is fake, but he's certainly not a unbiased, fair and intelligent 'commentator'. He doesn't even talk, he only shouts! About stuff he doesn't have too much knowledge about, let alone hockey. There's a saying that goes:"Hollow barrels have a loud echo". Sounds like Don Cherry to me!!
Go to Top of Page

Ladge
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  17:55:19  Show Profile
I like that saying....That sums up Don Cherry!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page