Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 The Future of Ryan Smyth in Edmonton Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  09:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we have been hearing tons of rumors about rental players for the playoffs. Mark Recchi and Doug Weight were rented to the Hurricanes last season and after winning the cup, both returned to there previous clubs.

This season, Peter Forsberg may well follow their lead, with or without a cup ring in Nashville. St Louis is dangling Bill Guerin and Keith Tkachuk for a first round pick and a prospect. Its common knowledge that both like playing together and are happy in St Louis, but it sounds like they might be willing to move, get the Blues some needed picks/prospects, and then return in the summer.

Today I read a rumor that Ryan Smyth might be another rental player available. The Oilers are pretty much doen this season. Sure they control their own destiny with 5 games vs the Wild, but I just dont see it happening the way they are playing.

If Ryan Smyth truly does have oil in his blood, and cares enough about the franchise, and the city of Edmonton, then why wouldnt he offer up his services and allow Kevin Lowe to move him. For sure it would have to be to an Eastern team, but I think his value on the rental player market is much more than Guerin or Tkachuk.

Oiler fans, would you move Ryan Smyth for a 1st round pick and a high level prospect with the understanding that he would sign back with the Oil in the summer?

"Some people skate to the puck. I skate to where the puck is going to be."
~Wayne Gretzky

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  10:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that bothers me about this whole situation is that we are hearing in the media that the Oilers think the $5 million plus is too much and they cant afford to sign him for that. Excuse me? If you cant afford to sign a guy like him for that, then fold the franchise right now. Edmonton Fans suffered through a decade of mediocrity and all they got were a bunch of excuses about how Edmonton was a small market and they couldn affordto keep their stars. Out goes Doug Weight, Jason Arnott, plus others. And we all felt sorry for the Oiler Ownership, and they convinced many of us to buy an Oilers scratch and win ticket to help save the team. What a joke.

The new system allows for "small market" teams to compete and re-sign there players. I am not an Oiler fan, but I have much respect for the people who follow this team, and it would be criminal if he is not in an Oiler uniform next season.
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  14:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be criminal if he pulled on some other teams jersey ever! But I suppose they traded Gretzky and Howe played for more than one team, so everyone is expendable. It would probably be good for the Oil to get some picks, but I just can't picture him in another uniform.

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  15:27:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparantley, the Oil and Smyth's agent are meeting today. Last minute extension to be signed? We will see.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  16:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It won't be last minute. Even if they don't sign him by tomorrow, he's not going anywhere. He is an Oiler until July 1 and they will definately sign him before then.

They are pretty close from what I have heard around the city. I would think if anything they want to make a deal before tomorrow because Jason Smith will get traded. If and when that happens, they will give the C to Ryan Smyth. They won't want to do that if he's not signed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page