Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Team-Switching Ettiquite Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  05:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's bring up some heated discussion here...

Let's say you're a Wing's fan...and your only real devotion to the team comes with Stevie Y.

So Stevie retires, and you really have no 'reason' to remain a Wings fan because you didn't really 'associate' (right word?) with anyone else on the team...Steve was the only reason you're a Wings fan in the first place. So you want to switch teams!

Are there rules involved? Can you not beccome a fan of any team that's won the cup in the last 5 years? Team must have a losing record when you switch? Do you automatically go straight to your next favorite player?

This really only came up when I thought Brett Favre was retiring, but a friend of mine was a huge Gretzky fan (to the point that he even cheered for St. Louis! ), and he was kinda lost when Gretz retired.

(He's a Leafs fan now...we don't talk much) lol

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  05:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i cheer for Dallas because it has a few of my favourite players, I like their style of play and stuff like that....

since you only liked the Wings before Steve is gone and now you dont like them, because he is gone. If you want another team to cheer for I guess you could go to a team that you enjoy watching or has some of your favourite players. It's up to you what team you want to cheer for next.
I don't think there is a rule saying you can't cheer for a team that has one in 5 years. But i don't like the fact that some people only cheer for a team because they won the cup last year, I don't think you are really a fan if you dont know a lot about the team that you are cheering.
I can also understand you liking your team that is your town too. I think thats alright....(to bad we don't anymore)

Hope this helps

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~

Edited by - semin-rules on 02/22/2007 05:16:20
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  10:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Novie, I would argue that you didn't actually have a favourite team, you just had a favourite player. So I say go nuts, it's an open market for you.

It's cool to like a team because you like some of the players but ultimately players come and go so you may end up in this position again some day. I like lots of teams because of their players or their history and cheer for them as long as it doesn't affect my "Favourite" team's standings. If it does, then no soup for them!

I like your idea of picking a crappy team now and then growing with them. No one can give you a hard time about that. Just be sure to choose a team that you can realistically cheer for. ie: you get to see at least a few of their games on TV, it'll keep you interested.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  10:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts are this. Hockey is the only sport that I actually have a "team." Obvisouly, I grew up in Edmonton through the 80's, so I will be an Oiler fan forever.

But with the other major sports, when someone asks me who I cheer for, I say I cheer for the game. I might have teams I prefer and teams I hate, but no single team. So I have the option of cheering for who I want and it's easy to switch teams if a favorite player moves.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  13:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking about this the other day...

I was initially attracted to the Sharks during the '04 season. I watched how well Marleau played and how clutch he was so it caused me to follow the Sharks a little more. At this time I was a die-hard Leafs fan and had been for at least five years. JFJr. had already started making horrible moves as Toronto's GM, wasting the future on has-beens and Cup-run players like Brian Leetch, Ron Francis, etc. None of them ended up paying off. I got fet up with this, and after watching how exciting the Sharks were, and how Doug Wilson was doing the opposite of JFJr. (Wilson was rebuilding, getting lots of young talent), I decided to convert myself to a Sharks fan (which can be done, and I strongly encourage it ) for the '05 season. Then on November 30th, Wilson traded for Thornton and my love for the Sharks was then carved in stone.

It was hard watching the Sharks last night against the Caps because Toskala (my favorite goalie) and Marleau (my favorite skater) were both out. This caused me to think of what I would do if either (or heaven forbid both) end up on different teams. Like what if Marleau ended up on Calgary somehow? I would be torn...

I think it's acceptable to change teams as long as you have legitimate concerns with the team and that after a certain amount of time if those problems still exist, that it only makes sense to change who you support. I was a Wings fan before liking the Leafs but one day (when I was maybe 8), the Sharks - ironically - who were then one of the league's worst teams beat the Wings 6-3 (the score I will never forget). Being about 8, I decided right away that I couldn't like the Wings anymore, so I switched to the Leafs. I have smartened up quite the deal since but I think that if you try to stick it out with a team that is doing everything it can to screw up their future, you have reason to support a better team.

Novie, in case you were wondering, it's "etiquette", from French.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 02/22/2007 13:57:01
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  14:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really, it doesn't matter who you cheer for. It doesn't even matter if you only cheer for certain players.
It only matters that you cheer! The louder the better!
There are no rules. I am a huge Canucks fan, but truth be told, I have a soft spot for Montreal because of Saku Koivu and what he has gone through. Would I still like Montreal if Koivu was traded to, say, the Leafs? Or would I like the Leafs then?
Okay, I've just slapped myself until my face is raw and bloody... of course I'd still hate the Leafs, but I'd still like Koivu. I really don't know if I'd still like Montreal, but probably not.
And like Beans said - and I am paraphrasing - you don't have to have a favourite team, you can just love the game. That's okay too!
But whatever you do... CHEER.

And hate the Leafs.

It's a Canadian thing to do.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  15:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

Okay, I've just slapped myself until my face is raw and bloody...

Like your avatar? hahaha

quote:
And hate the Leafs.

It's a Canadian thing to do.

Unless you're from Toronto, I guess...I have a friend at school from Toronto who's a Leafs fan, and another friend from Calgary who's a Flames fan...you can imagine how ugly that would get

Anyway...
I was originally a Red Wings fan, because of Hasek (my favorite goalie), and because they had several great players and a lot of talent. Then the Sabres started sparking some interest. They also have a lot of talent, and always do well (especially this year ) Maxim Afinogenov became one of my favorite players. He lead the team in points last year, he's second this year, and he's quite a fast skater, he'll score a goal even with a broken wrist...he's just got all-around talent. So from then on I was a Sabres fan. I also like the Rangers because of Jagr (my favorite player) and the Caps because they are my local team, and if they're not playing the Sabres I will cheer for them. But Buffalo is my absolute favorite #1 team...I cheer for them before anybody!
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  15:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You just gotta love the team you cheer for. It dosent matter if they are the first place team or the worst. When I was little I got a puck with the Rangers logo on it. Just because of this they were my favourite team. I grew up to age 6 and I realized that the Habs were a much better team and my Dad cheered for them. I have cheered for them ever since. Last year Alex Steen started playing for the Maple Leafs. That is the worst team possible! I cheer for him but I still hate the Leafs. So it dosent matter who yoy cheer for you just have to love them.
Go to Top of Page

adamgibson
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  22:46:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iv'e been a red wings fan for probably 20 years now since Ron Dougay and stevie y was always a huge influence but my likes and dislikes for many other teams have come and gone. I don't really like the leafs but i love the style tucker plays. i think you can not only cheer for any team you want in any given game but also for individual players within that game. but no matter what i just can't force myself to cheer for montreal.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2007 :  23:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums Gibby. I agree with what you are saying that it's not necessary to have a team...but it makes it pretty interesting :-)
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2007 :  01:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly what the others were saying(i think it was ulimatetitman) I am A huge fan of the Nucks and Pens Say my Favorite player from the Nucks got traded to the Flames would i like the flames no i would hate them still(just like ulimatetitman said) Say Crosby got traded to The Canucks would i stop liking the Pens no i would still like them becuz of Fleury, Malkin and Staal
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  16:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started liking the Sabres last year because i liked there play and i liked the great speed and there a real team. Lucky for me there doing really well this year
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  16:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

I started liking the Sabres last year because i liked there play and i liked the great speed and there a real team. Lucky for me there doing really well this year

Yes, we've got another Sabres fan on the foum! You are wise, PainTrain.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  07:29:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you see more often now than 20 years ago people "switching teams." I think it has to do with more player movement and less loyalty by the players and the teams. Back when I started watching hockey teams were together for a long time. That is why you see more fans older than 25 with more team loyalty. I will be an Oilers fan forever. There is almost nothing the team could dot that would change that. Even if they moved to Mexico, I would be a Mexico City Oilers fan. That's doesn't happen as much today.

Man, do I ever sound old.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page