Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Boston
 Headshot suspension? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  09:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Well, the Bruins can't come off as hypocrits and have called it a bad hit themselves. How many games should Daniel Paille get for his cheapshot on Dallas Star's forward Raymond Sawada?

He sustained a broken nose, seperated shoulder and more than likely a concussion from the blinside hit.

Choices:

1 - 2
2 - 5
5 - 10
10 +

(Anonymous Vote)

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  09:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this story on TSN which gives a rundown on the game.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=352329

I personally think he should get 10+ for the sheer fact that their best player, Savard, went out and is currently out from almost the exact hit. Sawada, for those who didn't see it, had a Bruin on his tail and 2 Dmen in front of him. He wasn't going anywhere or was he a threat and then Paille takes it upon himself to obliterate him from the blinside.

"Hockey is a man's game. The team with the most real men wins. - Brian Burke

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 02/04/2011 09:21:26
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
914 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  09:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The suspension was already handed out Tox, he was given 4 games.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  09:42:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW, Coli must be having a slow week! not even 24 hrs and bam. 4 games is way too light tho, but, Coli is the land of inconsistancy. Maybe he's pissed no one saved his son from the pastin' he took last night

"Hockey is a man's game. The team with the most real men wins. - Brian Burke

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 02/04/2011 10:02:29
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5799 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  12:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When i heard 4 games, i was shocked, for 1 whole second! Then i remembered who was dealing with the suspensions!

4 games is ridiculous. It was a textbook blindside, hit to the head to an unsuspecting victim! EXACTLY the kind of hit they're trying to get rid of! 4 games isn't the kind of example to set, especially when they had the opportunity to set an example with two marginal players involved. What if this hit was on a star??? No chance it's 4 games!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8186 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  19:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, this type of hit was about as bad as it gets. There have been hits with a worse outcome or looked worse in appearance, but it's the exact hit the GM's want gone. Even more questionable was what the point was. The guys was covered by two Bruins and had literally no chance to score and Boston was up 4-1.

That being said, it's hard for Campbell to give more than 4 games when the bar has been set with other hits this year like Thornton and Doan. First offense has been a light message.

Before you jump all over me, I agree 4 games is light. But the bar has been set and it can't just go up for the sake of it. Not mid-season.

I also think Claude Julien is a complete tool for saying that players have to protect themselves better. Maybe they do, but in this situation, there is no way that the Dallas player could have seen Paille coming or protected himself.
Go to Top of Page

T-RAV
Top Prospect



Canada
75 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  05:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that any suspension handed out for a dirty hit or play should match the injury. So for instance Cooke would have had to miss as many games as Savard. Wasn't that most of last season?? It doesn't make sense that you could end a guys career and still collect your million dollar pay cheque tomorrow.
4 games? Utter horses**t!

"If we succumb to a dream world, then we will wake up to a nightmare" - Jimmy Carter
Go to Top of Page

Beans15
Moderator



Canada
8186 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  09:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T-RAV

I believe that any suspension handed out for a dirty hit or play should match the injury. So for instance Cooke would have had to miss as many games as Savard. Wasn't that most of last season?? It doesn't make sense that you could end a guys career and still collect your million dollar pay cheque tomorrow.
4 games? Utter horses**t!

"If we succumb to a dream world, then we will wake up to a nightmare" - Jimmy Carter



So what happens in the case where a guy does a horrible hit but the other player isn't injured?? No suspension??

The punishment needs to be applied towards the action, not the outcome.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3590 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  10:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The punishment needs to be applied towards the action, not the outcome.



It should be applied towards both - any suspend-able offense could have a mandatory suspension applied for the action, and then an additional suspension tacked on if the injured player is still injured from the action.

Under rules like that, you'd see illegal hits go away in a hurry. Imagine if Joe Thornton had been suspended like that for his headshot illegal-shoulder-to-chin-earlobe-but-not-a-headshot hit on Perron - he'd be working on his 40th game of suspension right now, given that Perron is still out due to the concussion.

Either that, or suspensions simply need to get harsher. 4 games for a blindside hit does not send a strong enough message. Perhaps a minimum 10 game suspension for any blindside hit? 15 games?
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
450 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  10:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched this scene over a few times and it keeps looking more border line then full blind side. Also it was shoulder to shoulder height but Sawada had his head down. Suspension deserved but 8-10 games is where the suspension should stand.

Don't hate me because i'm Beautiful
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5799 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  10:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Utemin

I watched this scene over a few times and it keeps looking more border line then full blind side.


Sorry U, but you clearly have NO IDEA what a blindside hit is then! There's simply NO DEBATING this. It's a textbook example of what the league is trying to get rid of!!! I can't fathom how anyone can consider this "borderline"????

As far as suspensions go, i'm tired of hearing the argument that the hitter should be out as long as the victim. C'mon, this will NEVER happen, nor should it. If they were wise, and put in a minimum / mandatory # games rule like nuxfan suggested, then i think that would go a long ways to solving the problem!

Can you imagine if a team had a borderline guy hurt in a hit like this? Do you think they'd rush him back if it was a star player from a division / conference rival who'd hit him? NO! Ex. J. Carter clips Pitts 4th liner Tyler Kennedy with a similar hit to the one the other night. Kennedy tweaks his shoulder but no concussion. If it were a playoff game next, Kennedy would be good to go, but seeing as Phil and Pitt are battling for first place in both the div and conf, do you think Pitt my hold Kennedy back for a couple weeks?

Not to mention, these hits def need to be punished, but lets say the latest one on Savard is the final blow to his career. IF it were illegal (i know it wasn't), is the hitter done for good? His career is over too? Ridiculous.

A hit like Paille's should have a min 10 games IMO. IF they wanna add a rule whereby they can add some more games, i'd be okay with that, up to lets say double (20games) if the victim is out long term (such as Perron). That's as far as i could see it going.
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
450 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  11:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by Utemin

I watched this scene over a few times and it keeps looking more border line then full blind side.


Sorry U, but you clearly have NO IDEA what a blindside hit is then! There's simply NO DEBATING this. It's a textbook example of what the league is trying to get rid of!!! I can't fathom how anyone can consider this "borderline"????

As far as suspensions go, i'm tired of hearing the argument that the hitter should be out as long as the victim. C'mon, this will NEVER happen, nor should it. If they were wise, and put in a minimum / mandatory # games rule like nuxfan suggested, then i think that would go a long ways to solving the problem!
Can you imagine if a team had a borderline guy hurt in a hit like this? Do you think they'd rush him back if it was a star player from a division / conference rival who'd hit him? NO! Ex. J. Carter clips Pitts 4th liner Tyler Kennedy with a similar hit to the one the other night. Kennedy tweaks his shoulder but no concussion. If it were a playoff game next, Kennedy would be good to go, but seeing as Phil and Pitt are battling for first place in both the div and conf, do you think Pitt my hold Kennedy back for a couple weeks?

Not to mention, these hits def need to be punished, but lets say the latest one on Savard is the final blow to his career. IF it were illegal (i know it wasn't), is the hitter done for good? His career is over too? Ridiculous.

A hit like Paille's should have a min 10 games IMO. IF they wanna add a rule whereby they can add some more games, i'd be okay with that, up to lets say double (20games) if the victim is out long term (such as Perron). That's as far as i could see it going.


I actaully agree with Nuxfan, but it is not that way. Your actions have rewards or consequences even the Accidents, this was clearly an Accident and that is what i mean by border line, if his head was up this wouldn't of happened. The only thing that really ticks me off about this is the NHL is trying to remove this and they keep putting in 3-4 game suspensions...

Don't hate me because i'm Beautiful
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5799 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  12:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Utemin
I actaully agree with Nuxfan, but it is not that way. Your actions have rewards or consequences even the Accidents, this was clearly an Accident and that is what i mean by border line, if his head was up this wouldn't of happened. The only thing that really ticks me off about this is the NHL is trying to remove this and they keep putting in 3-4 game suspensions...

Don't hate me because i'm Beautiful



U....are you saying that if his head was up, he'd have seen the hit coming? Or because the hit would have been more to the shoulder? Either way, the hitter has to understand that coming from that angle can be extremely dangerous. Also, as someone noted already, there was no need for the hit, the man was contained by the Bruins dmen!

As far as the weak suspensions go, as i believe Beans mentioned, it's difficult to change the suspensions, when precedence has been set, midseason. Hopefully next year, they get their heads outta their asses and increase the punishment!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro



Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  04:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see no reason why the bar can't go up 1 - 2 games per incident until it gets to 10 - 15 per.

"Hockey is a man's game. The team with the most real men wins. - Brian Burke
Go to Top of Page

Guest2752
( )

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  09:00:43  Reply with Quote
I agree that it was a blind side hit, but here is the problem with a total mandatory punishment on these type of hits. What is to stop a player from totally not looking out for other opponents and basically skating with his head down at full speed toward the opponents goal. Isn't that not a blind side hit by definition.

In the old days players like that would be carried of the ice by a Scott Stevens, Cam Neely, Wendal Clark body check. Is it the defenders responsibility to look out well being of the opponent or is the opponents resonsibility to keep his head up as we all were taught in our younger days learning the game.

If its the defenders resposibility than I say that our game has/is going through a fundamental change. Whether that is good or bad is another topic.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3590 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  10:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest, that is not a blindside hit. A blindside hit is where the hitter comes out of the "blind side", or moves laterally to make the hit - hence the term. A north-south hit of magnitude is perfectly legal, in that instance you should both have your heads up and know the hit is coming.

As for players purposely putting themselves in vulnerable positions on purpose to induce a blind-side hit call...I think that self-preservation instinct would take over.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page