Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Did the Thrashers overpay for Tkachuk? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  11:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
A first, second, and third round pick plus Glen Metroplit. Did the Thrashers overpay for Tkachuk?

Choices:

Yes
No

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  12:30:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could understand if the Thrashers had a real cup shot but theirs is long at best. I suppose they are just trying to make the playoffs. Pretty steep for a UFA who's contract is up after this season, so I think it is a bit short sighted.
Go to Top of Page

vintage
Top Prospect

Canada
97 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  13:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much
they will regret it!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2897
( )

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  13:38:37  Reply with Quote
This move has nothing to do with the Thrashers winning the cup. It has everything to with the fact the franchise has never made the playoffs and the GM has been there since the inception of the franchise. If the thrashers yet again miss the post season, GM Don Waddell knows it is likely he would be fired. Waddell doesn't care at all about the future because most likely the future of the Thrashers would not involve him. I'm not sure if Tkachuk is going to save them though, and in all likelihood the Thrashers will be fighting for the last playoff spot with the Leafs and Islanders right until the end.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  13:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Tkachuk will help improve their chances but he wasn't what they really needed. Atlanta needed either a) A 2nd line center for Kovalchuk or b) A solid PP defenseman, like Souray. They got a good player, but given what they needed and what they got, yes they did overpay.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  14:02:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH yeah no doubt they did, but if they picked up Guerin then i don't they would have

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  14:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya the trashers definatly overpayed for tkachuk, 3 high draft picks and metropolit, who's a great young player. He'll carry them into the playoffs, but not much further then that.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  15:33:00  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patchy

Ya the trashers definatly overpayed for tkachuk, 3 high draft picks and metropolit, who's a great young player. He'll carry them into the playoffs, but not much further then that.

~~Go Leafs Go~~

I agree. not enough has been said about Metropolit. He is a quality player. In my opinion, Tkachuk isnt even an elite player anymore. But I also agree that Waddell is indesoeration and job saving mode.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  16:42:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Metropolit is far from a "great young player." He's 32 yrs old, only 2 yrs younger than Tkachuk. He was an undrafted player who signed with the Caps in 99 and he has 75 points in 160 NHL games in 10+ year pro career. That is far from a "great young player" to me.

So, in the end, ATL gives up 2 picks in a fairly weak draft year, a 32 year old player with more games in Europe than the NHL, and 2nd round pick next year for a guy with more than 900 career points, play off experience, and still known as one of the better power forwards in the game. I don't think that's as huge an overpayment as most may think.

I do think the overpaid some, but not as much as people are making it out to be. Really, Metropolit, a 1st round this year and a 2nd next year would be about right.

But really, no one can answer this until after the playoffs. If ATL wins the Cup, this trade is gold. If they don't, it's crap. Most deadline deals do turn out to be crap anyways. Historically speaking.

Edited by - Beans15 on 02/26/2007 16:52:16
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  17:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they definatly over payed for a rental player whos likly to return to st. louis at the end of the year. what ppl are asking for rental players is a joke

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  19:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Metropolit is far from a "great young player." He's 32 yrs old, only 2 yrs younger than Tkachuk. He was an undrafted player who signed with the Caps in 99 and he has 75 points in 160 NHL games in 10+ year pro career. That is far from a "great young player" to me.

ok i didn't realize metropolit was that old, nevertheless, he's a good player that can boost a teams overall play, and the blues are doing a good job of rebuilding a new team already. Even if he isn't very young, he's a bargain!

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  20:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was a toss in to have St. Louis at least be competative for the rest of the year.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page