Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Chris Simon suspended indefinitely Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  11:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From NHL.com:
quote:
Islanders forward Chris Simon suspended indefinitely, pending hearing

TORONTO (CP) - The NHL has suspended New York Islanders forward Chris Simon indefinitely pending a hearing with league disciplinarian Colin Campbell.

Simon struck New York Rangers forward Ryan Hollweg in the face with his stick in a game Thursday night. The hit flattened Hollweg with 6:31 remaining and left him motionless on his stomach for several minutes in the Rangers' zone.

Simon was immediately ejected from the game, slapped with a match penalty for deliberate attempt to injure.

Hollweg recovered, came back in the game, and needed only a few stitches to repair a cut on his chin.

Simon's suspension is without pay.

For anyone who hasn't seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHzSzexrb0

For all of you guys who claimed that Janssen's hit was intent to injure, how about you guys watch this and rethink your position. This was DELIBERATE intent to injure and this is what the NHL should punish VERY SEVERELY. I mean to turn around and slash a guy across the face? Hollweg sold it though, I won't lie, but it's all about the action. I truly think this deserves 10-15 games (see, not based on the outcome because Hollweg turned out fine). This isn't finishing a check, or a borderline hit to the head or "incidental contact", this is sickening intent to injure, McSorley style.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/09/2007 11:07:15

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  12:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Babs. This is a major incident and clearly intent to injure. One thing I will say is that it was DEFINITELY a heat of the moment reaction and that is the only reason I wouldn't suspend him for a full season. To me it was worse than the McSorely slash because it was to the face and was a wicked baseball swing. He looked like hw was trying to cut Hollweg's head down the first base line! McSorely's was a love tap compared to this one.

I say the rest of the season + playoffs (or an additional equivalent of 15 regular season games next year) so about 30 games.

I ususally don't go for serious suspensions but this one was ugly to me.

Whatever happens, keep the law/police out of it!!!

Edited by - leigh on 03/09/2007 12:19:43
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  12:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good riddence.
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  12:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

From NHL.com:
quote:
Islanders forward Chris Simon suspended indefinitely, pending hearing

TORONTO (CP) - The NHL has suspended New York Islanders forward Chris Simon indefinitely pending a hearing with league disciplinarian Colin Campbell.

Simon struck New York Rangers forward Ryan Hollweg in the face with his stick in a game Thursday night. The hit flattened Hollweg with 6:31 remaining and left him motionless on his stomach for several minutes in the Rangers' zone.

Simon was immediately ejected from the game, slapped with a match penalty for deliberate attempt to injure.

Hollweg recovered, came back in the game, and needed only a few stitches to repair a cut on his chin.

Simon's suspension is without pay.

For anyone who hasn't seen it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHzSzexrb0

For all of you guys who claimed that Janssen's hit was intent to injure, how about you guys watch this and rethink your position. This was DELIBERATE intent to injure and this is what the NHL should punish VERY SEVERELY. I mean to turn around and slash a guy across the face? Hollweg sold it though, I won't lie, but it's all about the action. I truly think this deserves 10-15 games (see, not based on the outcome because Hollweg turned out fine). This isn't finishing a check, or a borderline hit to the head or "incidental contact", this is sickening intent to injure, McSorley style.

You know somethin babs, I usually think that all of your opinions on here are very well thought out...but I can't believe you would say something like "for all of you who thought that hit on Kaberle was intente to injure" What are you trying to say? I don't get it. The hit on Kaberle was bad also...it was head hunting...flying elbow...why is that hard to understand? And man, I completely agree with you on this high stick to the face by Simon. It is a horrible thing to do and there should be no question about suspension. I also agree with you when you say that Hollweg sold it...cause he did...the guy is fine. Ofcourse that's besides the point. But lying there motionless definetly made it look worse then it actually was. Last night in the Leafs/Sens game, i dunno if anyone caught it on the reply, but Spezza high sticked Steen in almost the same way and cut him on the nose as well(I can't find the clip anywhere)...but Steen didn't stay down so all Spezza got was 4min.

Anyway, I am not saying in ANY way that what Simon did was acceptable. But Hollweg did sell it. All these flying elbow hits/high sticks don't belong in hockey.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  12:39:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That cheapo! Hope he gets suspended for the rest of the season.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  13:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ED:

Janssen's hit on Kaberle was not blatant intent to injure, nor was it even really any attempt to injure at all. I just think it was one of those occasions where a guy doesn't know how to hit properly so his elbow went flying. That's grounds for punishment. Kaberle hadn't done anything to Janssen to warrant any retribution from Janssen so it was just an ugly part of the game. This slash to the face was retaliation for a questionable hit, and Simon (who is no angel) clearly sought to hurt Hollweg. Janssen's suspension was fair but that's done and over with. I hope Colin Campbell takes his sweet time thinking about how long Simon's suspension should be. Like I mentioned before, anything less than 10 games and I will truly be disappointed.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4040
( )

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  13:40:14  Reply with Quote
wow what an idiot.. that couldve killed hollweg
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  14:16:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my humble opinion, the NHL needs to step up suspensions with things like this. I say, lifetime ban from NHL hockey. That means playing, coaching, scouting, everything. Might be a little harsh, but it might clean stuff like this up. This wasn't a hit, it was far, far worse. I say kick him out for life.
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again I agree with beans! Bertuzzi wouldn't be around anymore as well. Does anyone remember how many games Dale Hunter got for his cheap shot hit after that goal in the playoffs? I can't even remember who it was against, so if someone will refresh my memory it would be great!

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NHL needs to take one step back, and eliminate hits from behind...

If you can see a players number and you hit him, it is from behind, even if it is shoulder to shoulder...

Anyone that has kids playing today, and that hit happend in a game that they are playing, that would have been a hit from behind, and automatic ejection...

The NHL should put the "Stop Sign" on the backs of players jerseys, just like minor hockey...

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright, until they speak...
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rys and Beans, I don't agree with kicking him out forever, but it was a very serious offense and I wouldn't be sad to see him out for a whole season (banned from professional hockey, not just the NHL). Let him reflect on what he did. As much as I think he should be thrown out of hockey forever with the hockey side of my heart, I also believe in second chances. After that, you're done.

Rys, the hit you're talking about was on Pierre Turgeon.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/09/2007 15:18:41
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Janssen's hit didn't look like an elbow to me. It was a clean shoulder, I think the fact it hit the head was incidental and not intentional (at least not any different than anyone else out there) The problem I had with it was it was quite late. By the way I'm glad the league is looking into soft shelled shoulder pads. That is the real problem here.

As for Bertuzzi I have gone on and on about it so I won't do it again. But to be short and sweet I didn't think it was as bad as everyone and the media made it out to be.

Simon's slash was pretty grotesque and I think the penalty should be severe but a "lifetime ban" is unreasonable for a first offence of this nature. If he has a history of vicious slashes and has been suspended 2 or 3 previous times then lifetime is ok with me. Why not have an escalation procedure for dangerous suspensions. 1st time: 10 games, 2nd time: 41 games, 3rd time; season, 4th time: lifetime. Having said that I would add that these are just the baseline suspensions, each incident would have to be taken on its own merits. This one for example, I would probably go considerably heavier due to the very malicious nature of it.

PuckNuts, you always give me something to agree with. Let's not forget that the whole deal started with a blatent hit from behind. I've seen worse, but regardless it was a hit from behind. I suspect that because it was against Simon is why it was not called. And for the same reason I wouldn't be surprised if Simon gets a heavier suspension than he deserves (ie: 1 year+)
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
For all of you guys who claimed that Janssen's hit was intent to injure, how about you guys watch this and rethink your position. This was DELIBERATE intent to injure and this is what the NHL should punish VERY SEVERELY.

I'm not going to rethink my position about the janssen hit, but I agree that this one was intent to injure. It was a dirty hit and I think a fair suspension would be the rest of the season and 15-20 games of next season. That would give him time to think about what he did.
But I think banned from professional hockey for life is a bit harsh also.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rest of the season and playoffs (If applicable) would be a reasonable verdict.
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Babs is there any way you could dig that hit on Turgeon up for everyone to see? I'm not too great on pasting stuff on here so could you help me out? If we're talking about deliberate attempts to injure, if I remember this correctly I think this was pretty bad also.

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

the hockey guy
Rookie

Canada
135 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow. that is unbelievable. I can't believe "professionals" would do that. That was a cheap shot. But it was not as bad as big bert. The guy he hit still cannot play hockey. It's been 3 years
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  15:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

Janssen's hit didn't look like an elbow to me. It was a clean shoulder, I think the fact it hit the head was incidental and not intentional (at least not any different than anyone else out there) The problem I had with it was it was quite late. By the way I'm glad the league is looking into soft shelled shoulder pads. That is the real problem here.

As for Bertuzzi I have gone on and on about it so I won't do it again. But to be short and sweet I didn't think it was as bad as everyone and the media made it out to be.

Simon's slash was pretty grotesque and I think the penalty should be severe but a "lifetime ban" is unreasonable for a first offence of this nature. If he has a history of vicious slashes and has been suspended 2 or 3 previous times then lifetime is ok with me. Why not have an escalation procedure for dangerous suspensions. 1st time: 10 games, 2nd time: 41 games, 3rd time; season, 4th time: lifetime. Having said that I would add that these are just the baseline suspensions, each incident would have to be taken on its own merits. This one for example, I would probably go considerably heavier due to the very malicious nature of it.

PuckNuts, you always give me something to agree with. Let's not forget that the whole deal started with a blatent hit from behind. I've seen worse, but regardless it was a hit from behind. I suspect that because it was against Simon is why it was not called. And for the same reason I wouldn't be surprised if Simon gets a heavier suspension than he deserves (ie: 1 year+)

Watch the clip again leigh...obvious elbow on Kaberle, we all know the player Janssen is anyway...but we're here to talk about simon i guess...and his slash was uncalled for. If they give him the rest of the season I'll be happy.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  16:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ED11
Watch the clip again leigh...obvious elbow on Kaberle, we all know the player Janssen is anyway...but we're here to talk about simon i guess...and his slash was uncalled for. If they give him the rest of the season I'll be happy.

Hi Ed, I just did. I'm still not seeing the elbow on contact. He lead with his shoulder the whole way (unless there is an angle that I'm missing, but I don't think so). Only after the impact did his arm raise, in fact his toes were still on the ice too so he didn't even jump. It was a textbook shoulder check. Again, my thought is that the hit was quite late and therefore it was uneccesary. I think Janssen deserved a suspension and I thought 3 games was sufficient for a late hit.

Edited by - leigh on 03/09/2007 16:07:57
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  13:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think what Simon did is deplorable and he should sit out the rest of the season, but I think Hollweg should have also had a hearing before the league disciplinary board for his hit, which was several meters away from the puck that Simon never touched. Simon wasn't quite in the danger zone they talk about when you're learning to hit as a kid, but he was far enough that his head hit the glass with a fair bit of force. In most high school games, that would have been cause for a match penalty and a suspension. Instead, it was a no call. If the NHL continues to permit cheap shots from behind like this, they are sending the message to kids that it is ok to hit from behind and failure to stop this hitting brings about cheap retaliation. I don't think what Simon did was right, but the incident may not have arisen had there been rules in place to prevent Hollweg's cheap play. Coming down on all cheap hits, not just the ones that get the most coverage is the way to stop escalation of on-ice violence.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  17:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong, but I beleive that Simon has actually had more then 3 or 4 suspensions throughout his 14 year career. Banning him from NHL hockey and allowing him his pension would be too easy. Chris Simon will never play NHL hockey again.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  18:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He got suspended for the remainder of the year including playoffs. The minimum time he can serve is 25 games, so if the Islanders don't play that many games until the end of the season, his suspension carries over to next season.

This is Simon's 6th suspension by the way. Oh yeah, believe it.
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  14:02:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryschevy1

Does anyone remember how many games Dale Hunter got for his cheap shot hit after that goal in the playoffs?

I think hunter got 21. So it was longer than Bertuzzi, but less than Simon. I think it makes sense that this was an elongated punishment, not just based on the offense, but also the playoff stage. Oh, and the hit was on Pierre Turgeon when he was playing for the Islanders.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page