Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Simon vs McSorley Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  15:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What Incident do you think is worse?

CANUCKS RULE!!

Choices:

Chris Simon
Marty McSorley

Guest6314
( )

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  15:45:11  Reply with Quote
Personally I think Simon, If you look closley you can see him turn his head and look over at the ref to me that doesnt make it reactionary it makes it straight up intent to injure.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  15:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6314

Personally I think Simon, If you look closley you can see him turn his head and look over at the ref to me that doesnt make it reactionary it makes it straight up intent to injure.

That was me

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  15:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they were equally bad, so no vote.
Both guys looked for their target, prepared, and launched an attack.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  15:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There should be " They were equally bad" as an option because I think that they were both bad in their different ways

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  17:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, but I think it has to be Simon's. He hit the guy in the face, and that could have been alot worse. When McSorley hit Brasher he hit the helmet and Brasher looked as if he fell because he slipped and not because of the hit (It is still bad, don't get me wrong).

I think what Bertuzzi did to Steve Moore is worse, however, because Bertuzzi's was pre-planned and Simon did it in the heat of the moment.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  17:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to think to yourself, "Would I ever be in a situation where I would even think of hammering a hockey stick into someone's face?" If your answer is 'YES', then you should realize that the conseequences
might affect you a litle bit more than the harm you have caused.
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  17:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for Simon b/c he went for the face

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  19:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon because he went for his face but i would still have to say the Bertuzzi one because he knew what he was gonna do a long time before he actualy did but Simon did it ou off spite, its still not a reason do.cause they were all nasty cheap shot to me, even then they should never go to court with these.

Go leafs Go by the way
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  19:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buddyno2000

Simon because he went for his face but i would still have to say the Bertuzzi one because he knew what he was gonna do a long time before he actualy did but Simon did it ou off spite, its still not a reason do.cause they were all nasty cheap shot to me, even then they should never go to court with these.

Go leafs Go by the way

He did it out of spite? If that's the way you think, I don't wanna spite you, man.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  19:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go leafs Go by the way

Bertuzzi's was nothing at all similar. Bert did stalk Moore and then sucker punch him.. but that happen all the time. The problem with the Bert incident is that there was a huge dogpile and unfortunately Moore got really hurt.

There is a big difference between that and swinging a weapon (stick) intentionally at someone.
Go to Top of Page

The_only_Odelein_fan
Top Prospect

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  19:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hockey Gloves can be a weapon to if you punch someone hard enough like Bertuzzi did.

Lyle Odelein is a god!
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  19:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

[quote]Originally posted by Buddyno2000

Go leafs Go by the way

He did it out of spite? If that's the way you think, I don't wanna spite you, man.

Sorry it might not have been the best word used there, but what I meant is that he didn’t think about it he just did it even if he used his stick as a weapon I still think that the Bertuzzi one was worst than any other I ever saw

Go leafs Go by the way

Edited by - Buddyno2000 on 03/11/2007 19:58:14
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  20:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm really, really pissed at someone, should I jump him, and punch him in the head, or should I smack him in the face with a hockey stick? Obviously neither one is a rational reaction, but you gotta consider the consequences. What Bertuzzi did could happen several times a year w/ no major injury occurring. Slash you in the face with a hockeystick? I don't hate anyone that much.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  21:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys there are plenty of threads to bash bertuzzi and i dont want to take apart in them I was asking your opinions on the chris simon and marty mcsorley incidents and dont want to turn this into a beat up on bert forum

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  21:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Bertuzzi's was nothing at all similar. Bert did stalk Moore and then sucker punch him.. but that happen all the time. The problem with the Bert incident is that there was a huge dogpile and unfortunately Moore got really hurt.

There is a big difference between that and swinging a weapon (stick) intentionally at someone.
[/quote]

It wasn't just the sucker punch that was the cheap part of what Bertuzzi did. If Bertuzzi had just punched Moore in the back of the head, we wouldn't even remember the incident and Moore would be still capable of playing in the NHL. The worst part of it is how Bertuzzi drove Moore's head into the ice. He actually controlled the impact of that injury with the ice. People get punched all the time and don't fracture 3 vertebrae and stretch nerve tissue. Goalies also have players fall on them all the time without sustaining the injuries Moore did. The main injury was driving his head into the ice. He had nights to consider those actions and was likely encouraged by others to "stand up" for his captain. Marc Crawford stood on the bench the whole time with a smart little smirk on his face refusing to look toward the opposing bench. I don't care if you are from the beautiful city of Vancouver and want to stand by something your team did as not so bad. Bertuzzi is the biggest disgrace to the game today and his 1-2 punch (rather literally) make his action the worst. I will never cheer for Team Canada again (as I did as a child) after Team USA is eliminated because they chose that thug to represent their country. If I was Canadian, I would be ashamed (as several National Post articles expressed when he was named to the team). Canucks fans should stop defending him and remember they are lucky to no longer have Bertuzzi roaming their city's streets during the season. As for the city of Detroit, they have enough thugs in their city, they didn't need another . . and I'm not refering to any sports team when I say that.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  23:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PENSFAN8771

1/2 facts here and 1/2 facts there, don't make a truth.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  10:13:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys like Canucks Man said (especially that he started the thread): He wants your opinions about the McSorley slash and the Simon slash. If you want to bash Bertuzzi, there are many other places to do it. Please respect what CM wanted to discuss and try to stay more on topic please.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0776
( )

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:20:07  Reply with Quote

[/quote]

It wasn't just the sucker punch that was the cheap part of what Bertuzzi did. If Bertuzzi had just punched Moore in the back of the head, we wouldn't even remember the incident and Moore would be still capable of playing in the NHL. The worst part of it is how Bertuzzi drove Moore's head into the ice. He actually controlled the impact of that injury with the ice. People get punched all the time and don't fracture 3 vertebrae and stretch nerve tissue. Goalies also have players fall on them all the time without sustaining the injuries Moore did. The main injury was driving his head into the ice. He had nights to consider those actions and was likely encouraged by others to "stand up" for his captain. Marc Crawford stood on the bench the whole time with a smart little smirk on his face refusing to look toward the opposing bench. I don't care if you are from the beautiful city of Vancouver and want to stand by something your team did as not so bad. Bertuzzi is the biggest disgrace to the game today and his 1-2 punch (rather literally) make his action the worst. I will never cheer for Team Canada again (as I did as a child) after Team USA is eliminated because they chose that thug to represent their country. If I was Canadian, I would be ashamed (as several National Post articles expressed when he was named to the team). Canucks fans should stop defending him and remember they are lucky to no longer have Bertuzzi roaming their city's streets during the season. As for the city of Detroit, they have enough thugs in their city, they didn't need another . . and I'm not refering to any sports team when I say that.

dude Bertuzzi did not control the force of moores face going into the ice ,you people are on crack, the reason was because of the dogpile. and i hate the canucks so i'm not defending. this s*** with the stickes can cause way worse injuries then a punch to the back of the head. he only was hurt seriously because everybody decided that it would make sense to jump on top and put way to much pressure on steve moore's neck.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both were gross and both have no business in the game. I still think both should have been kicked out of the NHL forever. What's 25 games to Simon?? What's $80,000 for a guy making $1 million/year??

If the fella he hit would have sustained some kind of permenant injury, then what?? This is Simon's 6th suspension, 3rd because of stick work. It's not a matter of if this guy does something again, it's when.

Go to Top of Page

The_only_Odelein_fan
Top Prospect

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Simon cannot handle his stick like a man, he doesnt deserve a stick.

Lyle Odelein is a god!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  11:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the NHL needs to think a bit more about what could have happened, not what the result was. They are not doing anything to deter situations from happening, only punishing them after they happen. What will happen next time someone gets chopped in the head with a stick?? You all know there will be a next time. What if a guy gets it in the wrong spot and dies right there on the ice. What will the NHL do then?? The NHL will be totally responsible. Their actions are punishing the person responsible(which is important) but doing nothing to deter it from happening again.

Excuse me while I climb down from my soap box.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  12:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon's was the biggest suspension ever levied, for one of the worst infractions ever. I think it was perfect.

To me it was worse than McSorely's. McSorely clearly just wanted to get Brashear's attention so they could fight. He didn't swing nearly as hard. It just happened to catch Donald the wrong way and down he went. Brashear then smacked his head a couple times on the ice. McSorely got 23 games (at the end of his career mind you). Fair and just. (except for the legal action afterward)

Simon's was clearly a baseball swing to the face. Definitely intent to injure. It was however in the heat of the moment so that lightens the penalty somewhat. And therefore 25 games seems appropriate to me. (I hope the law stays out of it)

Still, I think the Domi elbow on Neidermeyer was worse than both the items listed in the poll and way worse than the Bertuzzi/Moore incident.
Go to Top of Page

the hockey guy
Rookie

Canada
135 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  12:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were both very stupid choices and you can see that all simon had in his eyes was intent to injure. he looked over and swung. This is hockey not baseball. the poll shows that this incidents are equal in stupidity

Edited by - the hockey guy on 03/12/2007 12:24:54
Go to Top of Page

Guest5728
( )

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  13:45:53  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

quote:
Originally posted by PENSFAN8771

1/2 facts here and 1/2 facts there, don't make a truth.

What are the half facts in that statement?

And 0776, watch the replay, if Bertuzzi had let go of Moore and just let him fall to the ice, his head would have hit at a much different angle than it did. Bertuzzi's hand was forcing his chin into his chest as they fell, thus causing Moore's head to hit well before the rest of his body causing the major injury.
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  14:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marginally I say Simon was the worst.
I was at the McSorley game, and he had been trying to goad Brashear into a fight for several minutes, and Brash kept turning his back on his and skated away.
As much as I think McSorley is a complete Neanderthal for what he did, I truly believe that he was trying only to smack Brash up along side the head, hoping to get him pissed off enough to fight. It was stupid and careless, but I really don't think it was a deliberate intent to injure Brashear as badly as he did.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  15:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

I was at the McSorley game, and he had been trying to goad Brashear into a fight for several minutes, and Brash kept turning his back on his and skated away.
As much as I think McSorley is a complete Neanderthal for what he did, I truly believe that he was trying only to smack Brash up along side the head, hoping to get him pissed off enough to fight. It was stupid and careless, but I really don't think it was a deliberate intent to injure Brashear as badly as he did.

That must have been some game to be at!
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  18:08:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

i gotta say i completly agree with that I never thought it was as bad as it turned out to be.

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

STobin9
Top Prospect

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  10:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Chris Simon situation is worse because Marty Mcsorley did it to another tough player( Donald Brashear) and Chris did it to a player that nobody even klnows about.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  18:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by STobin9

I think the Chris Simon situation is worse because Marty Mcsorley did it to another tough player( Donald Brashear) and Chris did it to a player that nobody even klnows about.

What does it matter who the offence was done two?

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Edited by - Canucks Man on 03/13/2007 18:38:40
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  14:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering the other day, what if the Islander would end up wining the cup (not that I believe they have a chance) would Simon have is name on the cup even if he was serving a suspension.

Anyone know if a situation like this one had ever occurred in the past

Go leafs Go by the way
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  16:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was wondering the other day, what if the Islander would end up wining the cup (not that I believe they have a chance) would Simon have is name on the cup even if he was serving a suspension.

It's kind of funny how the rule works, but yes, he would.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  16:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

quote:

It's kind of funny how the rule works, but yes, he would.

I don't actually agree with the rule, but I believe that a player gets their name engraved on the cup if either:
(a) They played in at least 1 game of the Stanley Cup Finals
(b) They played in at least 41 games in the regular season for the Cup winners

Kind of odd eh? If Tampa Bay wins the cup this year, Chicago's Nikita Alexeev still gets his name on the cup....
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  16:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would he really? That's weird. I mean theoretically it's reasonable but it just seems so strange.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  16:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he wouldnt, I believe you have to dress in the playoffs to have your name on it

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  17:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

he wouldnt, I believe you have to dress in the playoffs to have your name on it

CANUCKS RULE!!!

I did a quick search. Not the most reliable sources, but at least some info that backs up what i thought was the case. However do note, that it does alter my prevous post a bit. The player has to play 41 regular season games with the club, and still be with the club! Significant difference..

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/stanleycupbunker/f/stanley_cup_nam.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  13:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just have one more question about suspension (it's probably stupid but hey)
If an AHL player gets called up to play a game in the NHL, do something wrong and get suspended for a couple of games. Can he be send back down to the AHL and ply there or does is suspension is affective in both the NHL and AHL

Sorry, my question might not be that clear but I hope you’ll understand it.

Go leafs Go by the way

Edited by - Buddyno2000 on 03/15/2007 13:03:01
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  13:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just have one more question about suspension (it's probably stupid but hey)
If an AHL player gets called up to play a game in the NHL, do something wrong and get suspended for a couple of games. Can he be send back down to the AHL and ply there or does is suspension is affective in both the NHL and AHL

Sorry, my question might not be that clear but I hope you’ll understand it.

Go leafs Go by the way

Im pretty sure it would he would be suspended in both leugues, other wise thats pretty cheap. I play Lacrosse and last year I was called up to play a few of my Bros intermiedate games (I was Midget) in a tournament, in my bros teams last game I got into a fight in the last 10 min. witch is an automatic 1 game suspension and i want allowed to play in the first game of my teams playoffs because of the suspension, i no the NHL is not the same as minor Lax or Sr, cause intermiediate is considered that. but im pretty sure the NHL would handle its suspensions the same way.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

dummy101
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  16:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Chris did it to a player that nobody even klnows about."this is a perfect example of most people here.If you watched a few games instead of listening to the hype you would come to realize that these things are a product of hits from behind, elbows to the head,etc.,that Ryan Hollweg(that's his name)has been carrying out all season,and I mean every game he has at least 10 shifts in.His #'s are 2pts and 119pim.
Having said that,I think what Simon did was way out of line and he got what he deserved.His hit was worse looking than Mcsorley's but to say it was a baseball swing,come on,maybe an unathletic (sp) girl or nerdy guy would swing with his hands 2 ft apart on a bat.It was a good thing it wasn't a baseball swing or he'd of killed him.That is what made it bad,he knew what he was doing to some extent,but just got fed up with this guys(and others like him) cheap shots and lost it.
Hollweg tried to kill Malone the next game against Pitt by running him into the boards,and their announcers said the same thing I said,Simon was dead wrong but something has got to be done about this guy because he's been doing that all year to keep his spot.
Remind you of anyone,a guy named Moore,possibly!
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  16:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats all good, but nobody deserves to have a stick used as a weapon against them.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

dummy101
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  17:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sticks are used as weapons in every game of NHL hockey that is played,not always intentionally to the face,but to other parts of the body.Probably the worst use of a stick I have seen this year was the last Mont,Buff game when Vanek was going to score in an empty net with secs left and Sourey used the point of his stick and pounded his kidneys and back 5 or 6 times from the blue line in.You could see the pain on his face and the refs did nothing.
And as I said Simon got what he deserved.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page