Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Should Jordin Tootoo receive a suspension? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  03:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant beleive that Mike Modano didnt get anything. Even though he didnt come down hard on Tootoo he still swung his stick at him. I think its a joke that he didnt get suspened or at least a fine.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  06:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My point of the other videos was because of Bab's comment that a sucker punch is a blind punch that you do not see coming. The videos I posted were considered "sucker punches" yet they were not blind. That was my point.

Babs, do you not see that Tootoo was swinging before he even turned around??

And how many times in your time watching or playing hockey have your seen a player going in to check some one and they get punched square in the face??
Go to Top of Page

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  06:48:39  Reply with Quote
Ok. Enough with the Modano thing. The guy was turning around and brought his stick down to the ice with barely any force and it hit Tootoos back. Had he really wanted to slash the guy, it would have been a two hander. Plus, way worse things go unsuspended. If he had gotten 1 or 2 games though, that would have been fine too, but he didn't, let it be.

As for all of you who say Tootoo was just "defending" himself. That is crap. Thank you Beans for trying to argue for the sane people here. If you guys out there say it was "self-defense", than you are saying any guy out there who is about to get body checked should be able to punch people in the face and do whatever in order to "defend" themselves? BS!!! It is hockey, not freakin' badminton. Guys get hit game in and game out, real MEN even take body checks in order to make a play. CHICKENS like Tootoo punch people in the face or drop to the ice before a hit comes so they can avoid getting hit. And you call that a hockey player? My arse.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  08:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest9537 I wish you were registered! There is another sane person here. Finally!

But I your be a hypocrite to say that Modano didn't deserve a game for what he did. Force or not, he swung his stick. Modano should have been suspended as well.

Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  15:02:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Robidas wasn't coming in for a routine bodycheck though!!!! The only way it would be routine is if the play was still going on. HE WAS TAKING A RUN AT HIM for Tootoo hitting Modano!!! How is that routine? I will turn this around and say that Modano is the one who can't take a hit, and needs his buddies to back him up. Robidas got what was coming to him by being the third guy in!

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  06:32:01  Reply with Quote
Beans...yeah i probably should register, but it seems I've already made an identity as this guest...Ha! Also, I didn't mean to say Modano didn't deserve a suspension. I was just trying to point out that much worst things go unsuspended, so there really is no need for me to question why he never got one.

ryschevy1...Tootoo TAKES RUNS at people every game and for no reason besides the fact that it is all he can do on skates. Yes, Robidas was coming at Tootoo for a particular reason, but there is nothing that indicates it was dirty. He wasn't coming in high, he didn't have his stick out to make first contact, he wasn't leaving his feet, no butt end, nothing.

As for Modano "needing his buddies" to come in and help him out...what is this, the bronx? It isn't like he went back to the bench and said "hey fellas, can you take that guy out for me". When your star player gets hit...people are going to take it upon themselves to take action if they feel it is necessary. If Iginla (probably the toughest star player in the league right now) got hit, he could surely defend himself, but that isn't going to stop any one of his teammates from jumping in. You should know that.
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  15:30:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, never been to the Bronx! The thing I am saying is that IN THIS CIRCUMSTANCE I feel Tootoo was justified. I'm not trying to defend him on a night in - night out basis. I don't care what happens "every game" because unlike you guys, I don't see "every game". I don't know how anyone could see every Preds game for that fact. We could go back and forth on this forever and it still isn't going to change anyone's opinion, or the fact that he got 5 games. Christ, he'll be back playing and we'll still be bantering it around!

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  15:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apart from Beans Canucks Man and Guest9537(who should register) and I, whats up with you all defending Tootoo. Robidas came in with two arms raised. He didn't look as if he would do anyting, mabye only hold him off a little or start a fight. Period.

Secondly, what player would sucker punch someone in the face when a player is comming at them. Usually, after a star player is hit it is expected that a player come to his aid. Give me one example of a time when a player seriously injured someone while comming to a star players rescue.

Lastly, and i think I stand alone in this, I'm glad Modano didn't get suspended for his slash. As Guest9537 stated, if Modano had seriously tried to injure Tootoo he would have used two hands. He simply hit him to tell him to lay off and to say he had seriously hurt Robidas. Modano is a great team member, and defended Robidas when Tootoo had hit Robidas.Trevor Daley should be mentioned too, he also went after Robidas.

So for all you who think Tootoo should have recieved a 2 gamer or only a fine, look at the video again. In my mind ten games, (rest of the year) is acceptable. This should have redimed the league after they handled the Jansson incident so poorly. 5 games is a start, but not nearly enough.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2792
( )

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  17:02:33  Reply with Quote
tootoo may have saved his hockey career with that action
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  18:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2792

What?!?! How

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  19:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

quote:
Originally posted by Guest2792

What?!?! How

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~

i think he meant that he was about to get rocked and get his career ended
Go to Top of Page

coYote
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  08:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is ridiculous. Tootoo is a small guy and a total powerhouse. no way could you call him a coward unless you are daft. No it was not a suckerpunch.. and where is modanos suspension for stick work or for being a crybaby.. Tootoo is awesome.....
Go to Top of Page

coYote
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  08:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aroooh leafs fan ......wake up snap out of your fantasy..
Go to Top of Page

Guest2780
( )

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  19:27:48  Reply with Quote
what the hell you talking about they both deserve it
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  12:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't like Tootoo generally, but on this play, I don't like Robidas either.

Sure, it was a hard punch, but I would hesitate to call it a cheap shot for a couple reasons.
1. The punch was made worse by the fact that Robidas was skating full speed at Tootoo.
2. It was straight on, Robidas saw it coming.
3.. I can't say with certainty (nor do I really think anyone can) that Tootoo even got a good look at Robidas to aim for his face.

Robidas had his hands up to hit Tootoo, not as some kind of passive motion as some seem to be saying. Robidas was also playing in a cheap manner on the play. He came to fight. The puck was on the opposite end of the ice. Tootoo heard footsteps of a cheap play coming and turned around to defend himself. Had Tootoo not thrown the punch or turned around fast enough, he may have been the injured player himself. If he hadn't turned around, Robidas would have leveled him from behind and we would likely be discussing Robidas' suspension instead. Tootoo's punch was a reaction to an imminent threat. Robidas had 30 feet to consider how he was going to retaliate. The fact that he failed to avenge the Tootoo hit on Modano doesn't alter his intent. I think that the NHL needs to crackdown on the thugs who skate across the ice, not the ones that react to those thugs (I would typically classify Tootoo in this grouping also, but not so much on this play). Robidas deserves a suspension too. This may seem insensitive, but he brought about the play in the first place. Intent is the problem plaguing fighting in hockey right now and I do believe Robidas' intent was worse than Tootoo's.
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  14:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PENSFAN8771

I don't like Tootoo generally, but on this play, I don't like Robidas either.

Sure, it was a hard punch, but I would hesitate to call it a cheap shot for a couple reasons.
1. The punch was made worse by the fact that Robidas was skating full speed at Tootoo.
2. It was straight on, Robidas saw it coming.
3.. I can't say with certainty (nor do I really think anyone can) that Tootoo even got a good look at Robidas to aim for his face.

Robidas had his hands up to hit Tootoo, not as some kind of passive motion as some seem to be saying. Robidas was also playing in a cheap manner on the play. He came to fight. The puck was on the opposite end of the ice. Tootoo heard footsteps of a cheap play coming and turned around to defend himself. Had Tootoo not thrown the punch or turned around fast enough, he may have been the injured player himself. If he hadn't turned around, Robidas would have leveled him from behind and we would likely be discussing Robidas' suspension instead. Tootoo's punch was a reaction to an imminent threat. Robidas had 30 feet to consider how he was going to retaliate. The fact that he failed to avenge the Tootoo hit on Modano doesn't alter his intent. I think that the NHL needs to crackdown on the thugs who skate across the ice, not the ones that react to those thugs (I would typically classify Tootoo in this grouping also, but not so much on this play). Robidas deserves a suspension too. This may seem insensitive, but he brought about the play in the first place. Intent is the problem plaguing fighting in hockey right now and I do believe Robidas' intent was worse than Tootoo's.

Are you serious? May I borrow your glasses some time? They certainly allow you to see the game in a rather rosy/unique way!
1) The punch was made worse by the fact that Robidas was skating full speed at Tootoo. Well, I certainly hope some NHL enforcers read that and realize that when their team star gets hit that they should lolligag their way over there to protect them. That will cut down on injuries!
2) It was straight on, Robidas saw it coming. NHL enforcers, see above and while mosying over to defend your star, be sure to take the long way around to get there, maybe go around the net or something. Yah, Robidas saw it coming, and he should be banned from hockey for not taking full advantage of the 1/32 of a second he had to react.
3) I can't say with certainty (nor do I really think anyone can) that Tootoo even got a good look at Robidas to aim for his face. You are right, of course. Tootoo measured his shot. He said to himself, "If I swing at someone at about 6-6.5 feet above the ice, maybe I'll hit him sqare in the shin pads. That'll teach him!

Robidas was coming to the defence of his team star and his team captain. 99.9% of the time that happens, you jump on the guy, and take a few shots at him. The next time he comes on the ice, you send out your enforcer the get the real message delivered to him. You're damn right Robidas came to fight, as should most any NHL player when their star and captain takes a cheap shot like that. You may get your ass kicked, but you let the cheap shot artists know that such actions will not be tolerated.
Tootoo's punch was a reaction to an imminent threat. Duh! Every single player in the NHL knows that if you do what Tootoo did, there is going to be an immediate "imminent threat" when you take out the other teams' star. Tootoo knew exactly what he was doing, and he knew what the response would be, and he was prepared for that. The whole thing was premeditated, which actually makes it worse. Look at Modano's reaction. He's been in the league for what, 15 years? and how often have you ever seen him react like that? NEVER. Nor would he unless it was the cheapest of cheap shots. Tootoo's was a cheap shot, and Tootoo should have turned to face the music, not to throw another cheap shot at another player.
Robidas deserves a suspension too. This may seem insensitive, but he brought about the play in the first place. No, that's not insensitive at all. After all, Simon shouldn't be suspended either, because he was concussed so he was just an innocent victim. Hollwegg should be suspended for not avoiding the stick. Moore should be suspended for not avoiding the ice, and Brashear should be suspended because he didn't want to beat up McSorley a third time in one game.
Go watch figure skating, it seems to be more your style.
Go to Top of Page

LongLiveTheJets
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  15:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its funny that a few certain people on here are so high and mighty in their opinion on this subject that they believe they're sane and everyone else is crazy. Its called opinion for a reason. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean the other person is crazy, accept that they're gonna think what they want about this situation as there's going to be differences on how its viewed.

As for Tootoo, it might not have been his proudest moment doing that and maybe could've done it differently, but I believe when I've watched the replay of it, if he didn't do something Robidas would've taken his head off. When someone's coming at you full tilt from behind, whether it is in hockey or not, what's going to be your reaction? Its definately not going to be to let the person have their way with you, you're gonna defend yourself anyway you can. Tootoo's lucky he saw him coming otherwise, at least in my opinion, Robidas would've nailed him from behind right in the back of the head and sent him right into the boards, and that would've likely caused a lot more damage than Robidas getting knocked out.

But don't get me wrong, Tootoo did deserve a couple games cause that was a pretty vicious punch, especially with the glove on, but he sure doesn't need a lynch mob on his case over this. I know I'd have done the same thing, would much rather hit someone and take a suspension then risk the injury that could've been caused with being so close to the boards and getting hit from behind.

But hey, that's just my opinion. And, like an a**hole, everyone's got one, but most of 'em stink
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  15:28:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4401

[quote]Originally posted by LongLiveTheJets

Its funny that a few certain people on here are so high and mighty in their opinion on this subject that they believe they're sane and everyone else is crazy. Its called opinion for a reason. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean the other person is crazy, accept that they're gonna think what they want about this situation as there's going to be differences on how its viewed.

As for Tootoo, it might not have been his proudest moment doing that and maybe could've done it differently, but I believe when I've watched the replay of it, if he didn't do something Robidas would've taken his head off. When someone's coming at you full tilt from behind, whether it is in hockey or not, what's going to be your reaction? Its definately not going to be to let the person have their way with you, you're gonna defend yourself anyway you can. Tootoo's lucky he saw him coming otherwise, at least in my opinion, Robidas would've nailed him from behind right in the back of the head and sent him right into the boards, and that would've likely caused a lot more damage than Robidas getting knocked out.

But don't get me wrong, Tootoo did deserve a couple games cause that was a pretty vicious punch, especially with the glove on, but he sure doesn't need a lynch mob on his case over this. I know I'd have done the same thing, would much rather hit someone and take a suspension then risk the injury that could've been caused with being so close to the boards and getting hit from behind.

But hey, that's just my opinion. And, like an a**hole, everyone's got one, but most of 'em stink

So you are going to say everyone is entitled to an opinion, then criticize mine as high and mighty? Bit of a hypocrite, no?
I don't think Pensfan is crazy... I really don't understand how he/she can see it the way he/she does, but that's far from crazy!
Anyhow, watch the clip again. The reason I feel the way I do is because Tootoo's punch at Robidas started before he turned to face Robidas. He knew before he hit Modano that someone would come to get him, so he decided to cheap shot that someone before he got what he deserved. It's the bully mentality. "I'm going to do this to me, but you had better not retaliate cuz that's not fair." He didn't have enough respect for the game to drop his gloves and take it like a man. If you can't do that, then don't go cheap shotting someone.
Sincere apologies to Pensfan if I seemed a bit harsh, but in my opinion, his/her reasoning seemed rather "out there". Granted, he/she is totalled entitled to that, but if you say something to me that I don't agree with, I'm sure as hell going to tell you that I don't agree with you. Disagree with me all you want, but don't go calling me crazy.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/25/2007 16:05:01
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  16:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coYote

aroooh leafs fan ......wake up snap out of your fantasy..

Snap out of what fantasy. Tootoo blatantly sucker punched Robidas. Look at ultimatetitman's comments. He, along with myself, Canucks Man, Beans and the Guest are not in a fantasy. Don't defend what is clearly wrong. Its like defending what Bert did to Moore.

Long Live Leafs Nation!!
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  16:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tootoo is like a tazmanian devil or something eh.......That whole scene was crazy.....First he comes out of nowhere and smokes modano, then in a flicker of light, turns around and hammers what's his face with some haymaker........That is one wild child......Just the whole scene, it looked like an animal getting out of a cage and nobody could tame him...........

I have no opinion either way on that thing........It sucks that guy got crippled or whatever, but all I can say is i would like to stay on tootoos good side if I were in the show.

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

LongLiveTheJets
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  16:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't critizicing you titman, your post isn't even what I had been referring to. It was a couple other posts by other people that, at least to me, were saying that because they believe so much that they are right anyone disagreeing were not 'sane' like them. I'm all for everyone having their own opinion, even if I don't agree with it, I'll still respect their right to have it. Just don't think its right for people to think their opinions are the only one that matters, all I was getting at.

And hey titman, feel free to disagree with me anytime, always down for a good debate with someone who can actually back up their opinions and not just blow hot air.
Go to Top of Page

87CrOsBy87
Top Prospect

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  18:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think he should get at least one game because he was just defending himself

Forget about style; worry about results.
Bobby Orr

CROSBY RULES!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  19:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 87CrOsBy87

i think he should get at least one game because he was just defending himself

Forget about style; worry about results.
Bobby Orr

CROSBY RULES!

He got 5.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  20:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He should not have been suspended yeah a fine but no suspension he was protecting himself, Robidas came in with his stick up do you think Tootoo is just gonna let Robidas hit him in the face with a stick? I think not, yeah he injured Robidas but if Robidas hit Tootoo, Robidas would have been suspended and plus it was a clean hit on Modano and the last time i checked the players are allowed to hit. I dont care if its Wayne Gretzky you have to be able to take a hit. No suspension a fine maybe, but self defence, and Tootoo is allowed to hit people.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  22:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why is this topic even still alive?? Whats the point in argueing it anymore, Tootoo got suspended so the NHL obviously thought he deserved a suspension so there really isnt any point in saying how many games you think he should get or why he shouldnt have. Whats done is done and there aint anything you can do about that.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  22:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I want to say that a major role of mine on the team I currently play for is that of an enforcer. I do understand the role and the turf that comes with it. I also understand that intent is just as much a part of actions I partake in as the delivery of the punches.

I don't think my view was rosy at all. Quite the contrary in fact. I was simply saying that Robidas' intention was more premeditated and vile than Tootoo's, though the result of Tootoo's was obviously worse. My question to you is then, given the speed at which Robidas was approaching, do you think his actions would have resulted in a suspension had Tootoo reacted more slowly and moreover, do you think he was planning on injuring Tootoo. I think he would have been suspended and he would have been aiming to injure.

No where in my comment was I defending Tootoo's hit as "right" but rather pointing out the fact that Robidas wasn't some innocent victim who was blind sided and beaten to a pulp in a dark alley. I know everyone talks about dropping the gloves as something he should have done, and in most fights that is true. This was not a fight. And if Tootoo would have stopped to drop his glove, he would have been railed from behind. In fact, the concept of dropping gloves strengthens my argument because Robidas had plenty of time to drop his gloves before skating in with his hands up. It's not lolligagging if you don't immediately hit him. What if the enforcer wasn't on the ice, would modano be injured?

And when you refer to modano's reaction, the only real reaction I see on the video is after Tootoo leveled Robidas. Whenever a player is injured from a punch or a stick, or a hard hit, the other players on the team will get upset. If your protector got injured and you were a player like modano, you would have a variety of reasons to get upset.

I also take issue with immediately skating over after a star has been hit. Modano, at 6-3 210, is not some little prissy bitch. If Robidas had skated toward the puck instead of allowing an odd man break up ice, Modano would have got up and skated away fine (and in fact he did anyways).

A good enforcer knows that messages needn't be sent before the next whistle. Good enforcers also play hockey. Any seasoned hockey player that has played at a significant level of hockey and has hit a star on an opposing team only to be leveled later in the period seemingly unnecessarily knows the reason for that hit. I don't think a good player should just drop what he's doing and go take a penalty, especially when that is the role of other players on the team. On the Penguins, if Malkin gets hit hard, Gary Roberts doesn't skate over and start throwing punches. Malkin (like Modano) is big enough (actually smaller at 6-3 195) to take and give a hit and Roberts (who is certainly a tough player in his own right) needn't take a penalty when Georges Laraque is coming to send the message soon enough.

In the cases or Moore, Brashear, and Hollweg, all those actions against them were entirely different. They were skating away from the play, not into it at full speed. That is really a pretty ridiculous argument, you couldn't ever expect them to see those shots from behind. In fact, Moore was explicitly trying to avoid a fight.

If I were to hit a top opponent and I heard footsteps, I would likely turn around with my hands in front. And I think most of us would. Unless you think that it is in some way honorable for Tootoo to sit on the ice and let Robidas hit him, you have to think that he would do something. I don't think that would be respectable, nor do I think Titman would think so. Just because it's expected doesn't mean you should lie down and take it. Janssen shouldn't have just stood there doing nothing while Belak punched him repeatedly should he have? If you think it was so extraordinarily cheap, how would you have responded to avoid personal injury? I would have led with my hand and probably not knocked anyone out because I don't have the strength of an NHL player and the player skating at me wouldn't have the speed. I don't think that raising a fist is cowardly, I do think skating toward a player from behid is a set up for a cheap play.

Again, I don't condone what Tootoo did, but he hardly created the situation as it turned out on his own. I say place blame where it is due and some of that falls on the shoulders of Robidas. I could write a long post about why Tootoo should be suspended and I agree with his 5 games. I just hate hearing about Robidas as some kind of victim. Robidas has told the press he "just wanted to talk to Tootoo." I really think that's garbage. You don't charge at someone at 40mph to just talk to them. He had malicious intent, Robidas just happened to fail in his personal mission.

I think I covered about all of it. So if you have any questions post them without the melodramatic character attacks please.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  15:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a final comment on this, and feel free to argue logic and reason all you want.

Many people on here are saying that Robidas was going to hit Tootoo in the face and that Tootoo was defending himself. Now, Tootoo did not leave his feet when he punched Robidas. So, tell me how it is possible for Tootoo, at 5'8", to hit Robidas (5'10") square in the face without leaving his feet if Robidas was going for his head??? It is not physically possible for that to happen if Robidas was going for Tootoo's head. So those of you who say that Tootoo was defending himself...............................
Go to Top of Page

Ddeathblade
Top Prospect

28 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  16:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Tootoo should have received about a 2-3 game suspension. When he was turning around, he shouldn't have been swinging his fist. It may have been an act of self-defence, but he shouldn't be so ready to lash out at the person behind him. Looking at the position of Robidas, it was unlikely that he would have been sucker-punching Tootoo like that. It would have been more likely he was going over there, give him a push, and have a "talk". I think that Tootoo retaliated in an overly-violent way, but shouldn't deserve five games.
Go to Top of Page

oil fan97
Rookie

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  16:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tootoo deserved 5 games because there is different ways to protect yourself and he knocked the guy out cold.

Oilers Rule!!!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  16:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LongLiveTheJets

I'm with you on this one LLTJ! good summary.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  16:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I have a final comment on this, and feel free to argue logic and reason all you want. Many people on here are saying that Robidas was going to hit Tootoo in the face and that Tootoo was defending himself. Now, Tootoo did not leave his feet when he punched Robidas. So, tell me how it is possible for Tootoo, at 5'8", to hit Robidas (5'10") square in the face without leaving his feet if Robidas was going for his head??? It is not physically possible for that to happen if Robidas was going for Tootoo's head. So those of you who say that Tootoo was defending himself...............................

I'm not really understanding your magic bullet theory here Beans. What are you trying to say?
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  08:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with LLTJ also. A guy has to defend himself!

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  09:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a final comment on this, and feel free to argue logic and reason all you want.

Many people on here are saying that Robidas was going to hit Tootoo in the face and that Tootoo was defending himself. Now, Tootoo did not leave his feet when he punched Robidas. So, tell me how it is possible for Tootoo, at 5'8", to hit Robidas (5'10") square in the face without leaving his feet if Robidas was going for his head??? It is not physically possible for that to happen if Robidas was going for Tootoo's head. So those of you who say that Tootoo was defending himself...............................

I don't really understand how that makes sense. Could a 5'8" boxer not hit a 5'10" boxer without jumping when they are each going for one anothers' heads in the ring? Two inches isn't a lot, especially when you consider that you skate with your knees bent, so even with skates on, Robidas would have probably been below 5'8". He was likely lower than that even given the speed at which he was skating. That seems like a rather illogical argument to me.
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  13:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What are you, a Tyranasaurus Rex? Do you have 3 inch arms? That logic is clouded at best. By that logic, Chara must be the best fighter in the league because no one can touch him...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  07:41:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My logic is simple, and please watch the video again. Robidas came in with both his hands up and skating in with speed. If he was as Tootoo's head level, Tootoo's punch would have landed square into Robidas gloves, not his face. Robidas makes contact with Tootoo right when he gets punched in the face, and Robidas is no where near Tootoo's head. The main point on this is they made contact at almost the same time. Tootoo's punch landed a split second before Robidas made contact. If Robidas was going for Tootoo's head, his momentum would have carried him. But instead, Robadis hit Tootoo square in the chest. That tells me that Robidas was not going for Tootoo's head at all.

My point is that Tootoo's actions were far, far from defensive. I challenge you to watch the video in slow motion, if you can. You can clearly see that Tootoo looks to his right and appear to see Robidas coming. He is up to his feet and had his hand cocked to hit Robidas before Tootoo was even facing Robidas.

The move had absolutely nothing to do with self-defense.

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/28/2007 07:45:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page