Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 I might as well watch figure skating Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  20:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching TSN today (don't ask me why), and they were discussing taking fighting out of hockey. Colin says it "needs to be looked at" after that Fedorek/ Orr tilly. What's next, players aren't alowed to take shots because they might bruise the goalie?
Fighting is the most entertaining part of hockey this season. That Belak tilt on tuesday was outta site (1.5 minutes is pretty solid). EVERY part of hockey has some danger in it (even skating for God's sake). I think more players get hurt riding the bike after the game than in fights. Why would they get rid of fighting? So even less people watch. In about ten years, the nhl will ban the actual playing of hockey so as to avoid players getting hurt(a bit of a hyperbole, but that's what's it's starting to seem like since apparently ANY physical contact whatsoever is deemed immoral according to todays analysts).

I HATE CROSBY

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  21:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, that Belak-Janssen fight was OK. I'd rather a shorter fight with more landed punches than a drawn-out fight with fewer landed.

Second of all, Campbell is just perpetuating the way that the league always over-reacts to bad on-ice occurences. Just like they were going crazy about hits to the head, even legal ones, after Regehr flattened Downey with a perfectly legal hit that knocked him out. They will make a fuss about this for a couple days then it will all die down. Except for brief references, I hardly ever hear anything about the Simon incident anymore, so just give this time.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  21:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man taking out fighting would be so dumb, If the NHL is worried about guys getting hurt take out touch icing for crying out loud

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  22:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

Man taking out fighting would be so dumb, If the NHL is worried about guys getting hurt take out touch icing for crying out loud

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Yep, Touch Icing that’s a real problem that they don't even seem to realize that exist. Why going after the fighting if it was not for fighting we would end up seeing more dirty hits is that what they want. It’s better to see two man fight it fairly than seeing them doing cheap shot to one another.

Go leafs Go by the way
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  07:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't take fighting out of hockey! Hockey without fights is like a cake without icing (haha no pun intended). And although the rule says you can't fight, I will bet money that some players will go ahead and do it anyway. Sometimes it's unavoidable--if some goon on the other team cheapshots and injures one of your players, wouldn't you just want to skate up and punch his lights out? I sure would. When Ruutu checked Jagr head-first into the boards in the Olympics, the entire Czech team on the ice swarmed Ruutu and started fighting.

Man what a dumb idea. I would rather have two teams in Toronto than no fighting in hockey.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 03/23/2007 07:30:20
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  14:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see why the NHL has all of a sudden seen a need to fold to the media pressure over the past few years. In the 90's (the height of the NHL boom) fighting/physical play was a major part of the game. It seemed to do fine then.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  14:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey figure skating couldn't be all that bad there is blood

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/070210/canada/fskate_usa_fourcontinents_can_dube

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest8274
( )

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  07:28:44  Reply with Quote
i agree, fighting was a major part of the game a couple years ago, with all these new rules we dont see as many big hits, or fights, and i've grown up watching rough hard hitting hockey, thats whats its about, OH and scoring fancy goals
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  12:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that taking fighting out of the game is a bad idea. However, I think the real thing to look at is the reason players are fighting. In the past, when a big hit or even a questionable hit occurred, it didn't start a donnybrook the way it does today. It seem like today, if anyone considered a "star" player is hit, someone on that team feels the need to fight someone. The other thing that I see today is that many more players think it is their place to drop the gloves. The enforcer is really gone from the league.

Back in the day, a fight was used to change momentum or to handle an actual "injustice" that occurred. I think that part has been lost in the game today. And also, back in th day, each team had a guy or two that fought. That was it, unless it was a line brawl.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page