Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Need auction-style pool advice Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest0891
( )

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  09:24:19  Reply with Quote
Ok here's what we used last year in our inaugural season.:

-$50 salary cap
-$1 min per player
-Draft 9 forwards, 5 defense, 1 goalie, 1 team, 2 spares
-Spares could be at any position (except team) and allowed you to drop your worst player in that position.
-Team did not go against cap, Teams picked at the end of player draft in order of most cap room left.
-Trades allowed but max 2 new roster players from any other pool participant for the entire season.
-NHL trade deadline compliant
-Forwards 1:1 points
-Defense 1:1 pts + 1:1 bonus for +/- (cannot go below 0)
-Goalie 1:1 pts + 1:1 standings pts + 3:1 shutouts
-Team 1:1 standings pts
-Take turns nominating a player and we bid until top bidder acquires the player, ties go to the nominating GM.

Worked pretty well, the draft was very fun and we repeated it in the playoffs with slight tweaks to team draft and team scoring.

We do not intend to turn it into a keeper league although we plan on continuing from year to year "starting fresh".

The concern I have is that 2-3 teams were left in the dust by December and I felt bad as if I were in their shoes I would not have enjoyed the pool as much moving forward.

Any ideas to help keep them in contention or keep them interested in any way? Here are some of the ideas that I've come up with so far:

-Increase amount of spares
-Allow mid-season FA pickup at a specific week in the season, lowest on scoreboard gets first pick at league min $1.
-Offer monthly prizes for top GM of the month, so even though you might be out of the season total you can still hope for multiple monthly wins.

We're likely removing the trade cap (and trusting people to be honest). Also, how can we encourage trading in a non-keeper pool? This seems to be a big challenge.

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  19:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any ideas to help keep them in contention or keep them interested in any way?

Make sure they draft better

Seriously though, its hard to do that - in any pool some players will do well and some won't, and there is always a bottom. And when you're bottom, its hard to get motivated.

The monthly GM is a good idea. Our pool has a small prize for last place, which makes things interesting in the last half of the year as the bottom few people trade down to try and finish last.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  04:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's an easy solution to the problem of "keeping everyone interested all year":

More prizes.

You could have a monthly prize for most points in that month, for instance. Now, I don't know how much is in the "pot", but even something small is worth shooting for. And most of the time, the winner of the whole thing will win one or two months, but usually not too many more than that, from my experience, with a pretty evenly matched group in terms of hockey knowledge.

Other than that though, it is tough . . . such is the way of true competition.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest0698
( )

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  17:21:06  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the ideas, I was actually thinking of a last place prize getting his pool entry fee back on my way home from work yesterday. This is a good idea I think because the bottom placed GMs will be unloading players at the deadline to push for last if they think they can't win first. Not only stimulates the trade market but keeps them interested and hoping that their players STOP scoring! lol

Maybe if I combine the monthly prize with the last place prize, it could work.

Probably going to increase the amount of spares as well.

What do you guys think of the FA pick-up mid-season? Last place GM gets to pick up any player in the league not on anyone else's roster and we move up the chain until each GM has a new player if they want one. I feel it would be a great way to re-balance the standings a little at halfway point and also allows a GM to compensate a little bit for any position in which he got hammered by injuries.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  19:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've done many different pools in all sorts of sports, not just hockey. One hockey pool i run consists of 10 teams drafting 10 players. All players (no goalies, unless you really want one?) get 1 for a goal and 1 for an assist. No other stats (this keeps it pretty simple). Each month we have a monthly prize, BUT, we all chip in another $20 each month as well (we start with $50 for the first month). With 10 teams, you're bringing in $200 each month plus $500 at the start! $500 plus 5 months at $200 gives a pot of $1500. 1st gets $700, second gets $350 and third gets $150 (end of season). This leaves $300 for monthly prizes of $50 (6 months being Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and Mar/Apr. Basically the pool costs you $150 for the year. The other catch, and this keeps guys interested and often keeps the pool close for many is that we drop 2 each month and pickup 2 in order (after the drops) from worst to first. You MUST drop 2 whether you want to or not and you're free to pick them back up if they're still around when you pick! We try to get everyone together once a month on a specific day to do the drop/adds. This is also a great excuse for the boys to get out for a night with a couple beverages!

Some might find that one a little costly but you could tweak it to you and your friends liking and make it less money with smaller prizes?

Another one we do, first and second get all the prize money and third gets their money back (or entry into the playoff pool or next season pool). Catch here is, their entry is paid for by the guy who came in last! This requires a trustworthy group as you obviously need to be able to collect from last place!

One more we've done is having a separate prize for those in 6-10th place at the all star break. From that point on, whoever's team does best, wins a predetermined amount. This keeps the lower teams interested, but you have to be able to make changes, preferrably more than just one or two as it forces guys to manage their squads? Might work better for online pools where guys are switching their active roster weekly?

Those are a few of the ways we do it in some of the pools i go in. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page