Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 The most exciting forwards of the last 40 years Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who was the most exciting forward to watch in the last 40 years (not including active players)?

Choices:

Mario Lemieux
Guy Lafleur
Denis Savard
Marcel Dionne
Wayne Gretzky
Mark Messier
Cam Neely
Other (I know, there are lots)

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mentioned this in passing in another poll and thought it may be an interesting topic. Regardless of the "who was greater" question, who "wowed" you out of your seat the most, or just generally seemed to create the most excitement when he touched the puck?

The poll should also exclude goalies - maybe they should be done separately.

Younger guys - as you know, there are lots of clips these days you can download - or ask your brothers/Dads I guess

Edited by - andyhack on 03/26/2007 20:15:28
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i say Pavel Bure was the most exciting player to watch, thats what i hear from my brother, i was to young in that time to actaully watch and know whats going on but from what i hear and highlights i see he was exciting to watch.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, good one - I forgot about him actually.
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Messier was a one-man-show on the ice during those cup finals with edmonton. I picked him. He i also probably my fav player in history.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never watched Messier but i heard he could shoot very well on his off wing is that true for all the guys who watched him?
Go to Top of Page

Guest7418
( )

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:31:00  Reply with Quote
Denis Savard or Pavel Bure.
I can't think of any other than these 2.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  20:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7418

Denis Savard or Pavel Bure.
I can't think of any other than these 2.

Bang on.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  22:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya man...you gotta get pavel bure on there..that guy had everyone on the edge of their seat....Especially with that diving elbow agaist Dallas in 94 (and they say hockey is more violent now hahahaha).......If not Bure, it's gotta be another european player....Canadians don't have the flair the euros do (instead they have back checking abilities hahahaha)

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  22:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Im just going to follow suit and say Bure, and yeah IHC that hit was awesome, Have any of you guys ever herd the stories(or watched it yourself) of Bures first game, what I herd was he was on the fourth line with Odjick, and every shift he was just magical, even though he didnt score or get a point he was the best player when he was on the ice, The next game he was on the top line.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  22:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved watching what Lemieux could do. You always had a feeling Pittsburgh was going to score when he was on the ice. I loved watching Ziggy Palffy too, some sweet hands he had.

Pavel Bure is obvious, he's the reason I wore #10 my whole hockey career. The guy was a real treat to hockey.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/26/2007 22:59:56
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  23:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love watching the "thinkers" or "playmakers" or whatever you wanna call them so I selected Gretzky. I love watching guys like Crosby and Thornton now too. But everyone has to say that when they were about to show Vancouver highlights on tv everyone knew that Bure was gonna be there. He was fun to watch too.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  23:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

Well Im just going to follow suit and say Bure, and yeah IHC that hit was awesome, Have any of you guys ever herd the stories(or watched it yourself) of Bures first game, what I herd was he was on the fourth line with Odjick, and every shift he was just magical, even though he didnt score or get a point he was the best player when he was on the ice, The next game he was on the top line.

I was at that game.... his first shift on the ice was amazing.. wind up in his own end, beat 3 players, and almost scored... all at unbelievable speed.. I forgot how electrifying he was untill recently rewatching his top Canuck spotlight... AMAZING...

Check it out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aXTdZMK43Wo
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  03:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot about Pavel Bure, but I voted Guy Lafleur.
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  04:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always, And I mean Always go with Super Mario.

Go leafs Go by the way
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  09:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exciting players for me were guys who could lift you out of your seat when they had the puck. For me tha's Lafleur, Bure and Savard. I voted Savard. His razzle dazzle was something to see. Someone mentioned earlier Bure going around three guys and scoring. I remember watching Savard one time where he literally went around every player on the opposing team and scored. I kid you not. I tried to find a video of it but can't. It is probably the most impressive goal I have seen.
Bure and Lafleur would lift you out of your seat when they started in on an end to end rush. Lemieux and Gretzky put you on the edge of your seat when they had the puck because something magical usually happened. Cam Neely is a great one for this list as well. He could bring you out of your seat numerous ways. A rush followed by a goal, a crushing hit or a great fight.

Edited by - willus3 on 03/27/2007 09:22:45
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  09:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted other for Paul Coffey. Yes, I know he was a defenseman, but he could move like a forward, and some of his rushes were amazing also!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxD2KFQ4oo

GO OIL!!! YA!!!

Edited by - ryschevy1 on 03/27/2007 09:35:47
Go to Top of Page

Guest4930
( )

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  12:42:31  Reply with Quote
teemu teemu that rookie season was amazing
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  11:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for Lafleur on this one. If you can, take a look at the link below which has the famous "too many men on the ice" Bruins-Hab game on it. Watch Lafleur in the third period in particular, not just all the goals which he was in on, but also just about every time he touches the puck.

Now this was of course a huge game, but my recollection is that in his peak years, even in regular season games in the middle of the season, when Lafleur touched the puck he often was that exciting to watch.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7112379747057931230&q=team%3Abruins+1979&hl=en

Very cool link by the way - also has the Leafs-Habs 1967, Game 6
Go to Top of Page

Guest4527
( )

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  04:49:55  Reply with Quote
I voted Savard. Granted, I think LaFleur is way up there too, but there was just something about Denis, when he touched the puck the whole place lit up.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2007 :  06:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ED11

I love watching the "thinkers" or "playmakers" or whatever you wanna call them so I selected Gretzky. I love watching guys like Crosby and Thornton now too. But everyone has to say that when they were about to show Vancouver highlights on tv everyone knew that Bure was gonna be there. He was fun to watch too.

You could see them think? That's wild.
just kiddin around....
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  14:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright!! I stumbled upon video of that Savard goal I mentioned earlier. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it was impressive. #1 GOAT goal on Sport Centres top ten list.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LvTbQ8kpuE
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  14:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul Coffey's end to end rushes were amazing, as were Orr's. Bure was really exciting too. But I loved watching Savard. He made the Blackhawks my second favorite team.
Go to Top of Page

Blubberboy
Rookie

155 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  21:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gretzky or Orr.
I voted Wayne.

Go `nucks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic