Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 Oilers Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest3105
( )

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  17:21:37  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Witch Edmonton Oiler is going to have the most Points.

Choices:

Hemsky
Horcoff
Hall
Eberle
Omark
Smyth
Other

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  11:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably whichever one can play a full season

If Hemsky can play a full year, it'll be him.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  13:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently watched an interview with Taylor Hall and dude is looking big. It looks like he put on 15-20 lbs in the offseason. Also, he has been working hard all off season since recovering from the ankle injury. If healthy, I think he will have a monster season. I see 35ish goals and 70ish points out of that kid.

The smart money would be on Hemsky if he is healthy, but I like Hall to lead the Oilers in scoring and show the world why he was #1 overall.
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  14:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes I would pick Hall too he's a natural scorer who will play more relaxed this year.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  15:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I recently watched an interview with Taylor Hall and dude is looking big. It looks like he put on 15-20 lbs in the offseason. Also, he has been working hard all off season since recovering from the ankle injury. If healthy, I think he will have a monster season. I see 35ish goals and 70ish points out of that kid.

The smart money would be on Hemsky if he is healthy, but I like Hall to lead the Oilers in scoring and show the world why he was #1 overall.

I got a feeling about Magnus, maybe not lead the team but he came on strong at the end of last season and he has all the tools to be an elite forward in the NHL, after his slow start last season (wich wasn`t all that slow it just seemed that way because of all the hype) a lot of people have written him off and seem to think he is a flop or something, i have a feeling he is gonna turn a few heads this season, i`m going to predict 60 points out of him this season, he may not lead the team but i wouldn`t be surprised if the leaders are Hall Hemsky Eberle all right around 60 to 65 points, and Magnus right there

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  06:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hall packing on lots of muscle, eh? Thanks for the tip, Beans . . . I'll be sure to downgrade expectations for him. Seriously - putting on more weight as a purposeful exercise (not just 'naturally' getting heavier with age) almost always backfires for young, developing players, IMHO.

I voted Eberle. I'll say Hall will have a very similar season as last with a dry spell in there . . . and Eberle will be the true star of that team. Nothing against Hall's skills - just think he will have a year of adjustment.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  08:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Slozo, do you have any example of this theory that players who get bigger always backfiring??? I find it very hard to appreciate an opinion which so blatantly calls out players for being 'below average' in size but then makes comments that bulking up backfires?? Taylor Hall going from 185 lbs to even 210 lbs would not be rediculous. It's no different than what Kadri did last summer.

I smell a bet coming.......

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  08:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Slozo, do you have any example of this theory that players who get bigger always backfiring??? I find it very hard to appreciate an opinion which so blatantly calls out players for being 'below average' in size but then makes comments that bulking up backfires?? Taylor Hall going from 185 lbs to even 210 lbs would not be rediculous. It's no different than what Kadri did last summer.

I smell a bet coming.......

Exactly - it's no different than what Kadri did, and afterward his speed took a hit, and he looked sluggish. It took most of the year for him to sort of recover from the bulking up and regain his speed and quickness, which is a huge part of his game.

Hall also relies on his speed and quickness.

I don't know how to respond to your "blatantly calls out players for their size" comment . . . or you accusing me of saying "always", when I said "almost always".

It's not like it's a huge stretch, Beans. It really is funny that you use Kadri as an example though, as he was the very first player I thought of to back up my "guess". It is just a guess, but that is half of being a poolie junkie - making good educated guesses on who is going to have a great season, and who is going to have an off season.

Sophomore slumps are not unheard of, and every goalie in the western conference will now have a detail overview of Hall's shooting tendencies. He's put on weight, as you say, and that is bound to impact his speed and agility, at the vey least in the short term as his body adjusts.

The kid has skill, no question . .. but there is no need to get your knickers in a knot just because I suggest he may not make a big points jump.

Edited by - n/a on 09/06/2011 08:45:11
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  08:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't seem to agree with this Kadri thing. Kadri came into training camp 2 years ago as a very slight fellow. What happened?? He had exactly one NHL game that season. The next off-season he grabs another 15 lbs of meat on his bones and what happens?? He plays 30 NHL games and gathers 12 pts. Spread that over a full season and it's nearly 35 pts. I can only assume that he will come into camp a little bigger again and I also assume he will have a full time roster spot.

How is that viewed as a regression???

I am not saying sophmore slumps don't happen, however I don't recall very many if any resulting from a player getting bigger???

To back up my comments about size, I can go back and list countless conversations about players like Eberle and Cammellari who you have made negative statements towards because they are what you consider 'undersized." However, a player achieves 'average size' and you then say it's a bad thing for their game??

How can a player that is too small be a bad thing and a player who is average size also be a bad thing?? I'm just confused in the logic.

Edited by - Beans15 on 09/06/2011 18:51:43
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  16:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taylor Hall for sure. There's a reason he was a #1 overall pick and he's had a full season (unlike a guy like Seguin who could have gone #1) to show what he's got. That experience alone will allow him to adjust very quickly in year 2. If he's bulked up, it prob won't hurt him imo, as long as it's not the same bulk i put on from a summer of drinking cold pints.

Sure, sophmore slumps do happen, but elite players who are given ice time often don't experience them as often as others. Take a look at guys drafted early who got ice time sooner than later and they seem to adjust quicker by learning on the job. Sure, it's teams like Edmonton which don't have the luxury of easing their youngsters along, but that's what happens. Recent high draft picks who come to mind in similar rebuilding situations, who didn't suffer crazy sophomore slumps include, Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Tavares and Duchene.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  05:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't seem to agree with this Kadri thing. Kadri came into training camp 2 years ago as a very slight fellow. What happened?? He had exactly one NHL game that season. The next off-season he grabs another 15 lbs of meat on his bones and what happens?? He plays 30 NHL games and gathers 12 pts. Spread that over a full season and it's nearly 35 pts. I can only assume that he will come into camp a little bigger again and I also assume he will have a full time roster spot.

How is that viewed as a regression???

Because I watched him last year struggle mightily in the pre-season, when he was looked on as a fair certainlty to make the team. That was after the weight gain, and he looked sluggish and slow. He got his games in late in the season for the most part, when he had had time to adjust physically.

And why did we expect that? Because the year before in training camp, he absolutely lit it up and almost forced himself on the team as an 18 year old (if memory serves correct). That was a year he was basically told he wasn't going to make it, and he was our best player in training camp - that's why it was such a shock and disappointment a year later, when guys like me thought he'd be a shoo-in at that point in his progression.

Trust me Beans, there was a huge adjustment after the weight game.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  06:02:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Taylor Hall for sure. There's a reason he was a #1 overall pick and he's had a full season (unlike a guy like Seguin who could have gone #1) to show what he's got. That experience alone will allow him to adjust very quickly in year 2. If he's bulked up, it prob won't hurt him imo, as long as it's not the same bulk i put on from a summer of drinking cold pints.

Sure, sophmore slumps do happen, but elite players who are given ice time often don't experience them as often as others. Take a look at guys drafted early who got ice time sooner than later and they seem to adjust quicker by learning on the job. Sure, it's teams like Edmonton which don't have the luxury of easing their youngsters along, but that's what happens. Recent high draft picks who come to mind in similar rebuilding situations, who didn't suffer crazy sophomore slumps include, Stamkos, Toews, Kane, Tavares and Duchene.

Just to be clear - I am not really projecting a sophomore "slump", I am projecting a flatline of sorts stats-wise . .. which for a talented player like Hall is a sort of slump, if you look at how he should be progressing.

It really is just a guess though, wild speculation. We may look back on it and call it genius fortunetelling, or another bad guess.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page