Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Web site comments only
 Anonymous posting Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  19:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this has been adressed before, but it was a while ago when the forums were smaller and guests hadn't gotten out of hand.

I'm suggesting we ditch the anonymous posting idea. It was good in the beginning when there were fewer contributors, but now we have a lot more and are growing steadily. Plus, all the forums I've ever seen have been quite successful as far as population goes without having anonymous posters. I don't see what keeps people from signing up--if you don't want people to know your real name/location/age, etc, then don't fill it in! It's no biggie.

But the main reason I'm suggesting this is due to some things guests have been doing of late. Not to 'name' anyone, but recently guests have been creating entire topics for ridiculous posts like "facebooks are awesome" or "admins polls suck", or have been posting inappropriate material. Plus, there's been some profanity lately, with multiple cuss words in one post directed at a member. It seems guests have been causing more trouble than good of late, and they've sort of been making it worse for the members here. Of course I don't mean this for ALL guests, there are a few of them who always post thoughtful opinions and contribute regularly; maybe they should consider getting accounts. However, you can't say there hasn't been issues with several guests recently.

Of course it's your call Admin, but I just thought I'd throw this out there...

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/05/2007 19:36:08

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  19:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i agree with ya on every word and if you saw it you would too

Winners never Quit and Quitters never win

Edited by - 1 Crosby fan on 04/05/2007 19:47:27
Go to Top of Page

Guest6930
( )

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  21:00:07  Reply with Quote
I am not a member of this board. The reason is quite simple, I don't come on here all that often. I've made some posts in the past and a few more this week as I've not been feeling real well so I've spent a little more time online. I always try to put some thought into what I'm going to say, I certainly never use profanities and I feel I'm as respectful as need be. I'm sure there have been a few anon posters who have posted some inappropriate things, but there have been some inaapropriate things posted by members as well. I'm sure this forum will go on just fine if you decide to stop anonymous posting, but you will likely lose posters like myself. As I said, I'm not arrogant enough to believe my occassional posts make this board, just wanted to let you know my feelings.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  21:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6930

I am not a member of this board. The reason is quite simple, I don't come on here all that often. I've made some posts in the past and a few more this week as I've not been feeling real well so I've spent a little more time online. I always try to put some thought into what I'm going to say, I certainly never use profanities and I feel I'm as respectful as need be. I'm sure there have been a few anon posters who have posted some inappropriate things, but there have been some inaapropriate things posted by members as well. I'm sure this forum will go on just fine if you decide to stop anonymous posting, but you will likely lose posters like myself. As I said, I'm not arrogant enough to believe my occassional posts make this board, just wanted to let you know my feelings.

well dude i know but you can register an account and well we might and might not

Winners never Quit and Quitters never win
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2007 :  22:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With guest posting we are going to get some riff raff, but we get riff raff from members as well. Personally I think that guest posting is good for for the community, it gives some people the chance to "test the waters" before diving in. Many of our current members started as guest posters I believe. Most guest posts that I have seen have contributed positively to the environment. I just ignore the bad stuff and let admin & babs take care of it....well I guess that's me these days too.

I hear what you are saying though Mik, it's pretty easy to sign up and hopefully guests like 6930 will eventually become members. I suppose once we have a larger base of regular contributors they might shut down the guest posting but until you hit that tipping point it makes hit hard to sustain an interesting forum on members alone. It's all about critical mass.

I think Babs was probably feeling a little overwhelmed as the only moderator and I can see how it is a lot of work for a couple people. Maybe another moderator is in the cards in the near future. But in the meantime I'll pull up my boot straps a bit more and try to filter out some of the junk a little better. But it can be a fine line between moderating and censoring
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  02:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought of this too, and I agree. They are getting out of hand.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7007
( )

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  04:12:30  Reply with Quote
When it comes to sports, some people take it so seriously that their mouths do run off sometimes. I think that is to be expected. Unfortunatly the profanity aimed at other people is uncalled for...Now if the Leafs could only learn how to win a game we just might make the playoffs...lol. I am an avid fan and wish them all the best no matter if they are playing hockey or golf in the next 2 weeks.If they miss again this year, maybe they should think of making a GM change...
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2007 :  07:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of there opinions are good just a lot of them get off topic and do some personal attacks either than that there fine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page