Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Jamie McLennan got 5 games - Enough? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  12:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Jamie McLennan of the Calgary Flames just got suspended for 5 games for his slash on Johan Franzen near the end of Game 5. Coach Playfair was fined $25 000, and the Flames organization was fined $100 000, in part due to the Langkow punch on Lebda.. What do you think about the severity of this punishment?

Choices:

Too harsh.
Not severe enough.
Just about right.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 04/22/2007 15:52:49

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  12:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think everything aboutt that was the right amount. The slash on Franzen wasn't horrible, but it deserved a suspension. The fines on Playfair and the orginization were fair to.

It's funny, Mclennan was only on the ice for 18 seconds

~~~~~COME ON STARS, LETS BRING IT HOME~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  12:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say it was too harsh a punishment. Had that slash been on a guy like Brendan Shanahan or some other guy with heart/berries and not some European sweetheart, it would have been over in one or two puches. He may have gotten 5 for slashing, and possibly a game or two (not that it'll matter, because I think Calgary will be finished by then).

Franzen went down like he was hit by a cannonball. If you watch the slash in real time, it wasn't hard enough to knock over a ten-year old. Somewhere, Ryan Hollweg is thinking, "He went down because of that? Try getting a slash in the face!"

With that said, it's Jamie McLennan. No offence to him, but does it even matter? It may be what Calgary needs to get some life into them.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

HasekFan39
Rookie

Canada
143 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  12:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the league needs to look at the reasons.
first off how they started.the bums detroit interfering with the goal tenders and getting away with it.that shows how the league officials are bvacking the detroit red wings on this,through the whole series detroit was interfering with the goalie,and getting away with that,and nothing being done about that.that shows that the league officials are partial in rulings in the game.
the league officials are creating a scam and geting away with it.in my opinion the league officials are guilty as the red wings for interfering with the the goalies.
in the end its the league officials who decide will be the stanley cup champs.
go detroit go,or should i say go league officials go.
the great game of hockey as we once knew it has become a scam.

GO SENS GO!
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  13:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two games. I don't know if you guys saw it but he got slashed in the face and that was why he was angry. The slash to his face was accidental looking though. The slash to Franzens chest was a small bump. This isn't an Italian soccer practice. Franzen completely sold that hit and got away with it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6206
( )

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  13:26:28  Reply with Quote
Hasekfan39 is on the mark. The great game of hockey is not only becoming a scam, it's becoming a joke. The league officials are as guilty as the Red Wings and should be penalized the money that Playfair and the Flames have been fined. I've been a fan since the late 60's when I was a little kid and I have seen alot of BS from the NHL over the years but this takes the cake. All I can do is penalize them with my boycott. And that's not fair to the honest guys trying to compete fairly and make an honest living.
Shame on the Red Wings. And shame on the NHL management. Get it together or maybe take up an occupation more suited to your common sese level like maybe animal husbandry or something. (Apologies to the animal husbanders out there.)
Go to Top of Page

Guest6206
( )

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  13:36:14  Reply with Quote
To add to my rant, the NHL is becoming alot more like professional wrestling. Maybe we could get the laws changed like they are in Texas. In Texas they have to post the result of a wrestling match before it happens. It might take some of the mystery out of an NHL playoff series to post the winners beforehand but it would certainly take out all of the BS. Shame on the league. If I had been in McLennan's position I'd have been hard-pressed to hold my temper either.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  14:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was about right. Any more would have been too harsh, but this seemed fair. Mclennen deserved a suspension, as did the Flames organisation. I think the league handled this situation perfectly.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
Go to Top of Page

Guest1420
( )

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  15:21:02  Reply with Quote
Wings-Flames; not exactly ringette. Way to harsh. Two otherwise classy teams got out of hand. Calgary should have got something but not what they did.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  15:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums fly!

Seen as you are new, I recommend that you read over our Rules and Guidelines: http://pickuphockey.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=32

Polls should be in the User Polls forum.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  15:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was too harsh he didn't get hit in the head or anything so maybe 2 games and Franzen looked like he got shot when he went down

Viktor Kozlov is my hero
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  16:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HasekFan39

first off how they started.the bums detroit interfering with the goal tenders and getting away with it.that shows how the league officials are bvacking the detroit red wings on this,through the whole series detroit was interfering with the goalie,and getting away with that,and nothing being done about that.that shows that the league officials are partial in rulings in the game.
the league officials are creating a scam and geting away with it.in my opinion the league officials are guilty as the red wings for interfering with the the goalies.

There is always a conspiracy theory for everything isn't there...

I don't think McLennan should have gotten punished so severely but I don't feel sorry for him. I hate that people keep complaining about the goalies always being interfered with nowadays. Goaltending styles have changed and now goalies are coming out to 3 feet outside the crease to make saves. Does that mean everyone has to back up now? The crease used to be a goalie's boundaries but now it's just a painting on the ice. I used to be a goalie so I usually take the goalie's side of the story, but this time I can't. Anyone watch the SJ-Nashville series? Nabokov plays out further than anyone else is in these playoffs and gets interfered with all the time, but I haven't seen him slash anyone (however severely).
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  16:31:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was perfect. The Flames were playing like complete tools for the last 10 minutes of that game. It had nothing to do with hockey. They were out to hurt people and tried to get Detroit to retaliate. The Red Wings stayed pretty calm compared to the Flames.

And who ever it was saying that the Detroit players are interfering with the goalie are watching a different series. It can't be interference outside of the crease! The play that set off McLennan had nothing to do with Franzen interfering. Franzen was outside of the crease and McLennan slashed him twice which he was getting a penalty for anyway. Then Hamrlik came in and Franzen was trying to push him away, not hit McLennan. Besides that, does that give McLennan the right to slash Franzen?? Does it give him the right to slash anyone?? Stupid. Nice 17 seconds of solid play from an upstanding NHL player!

The entire thing was crap, and it has nothing to do with the league backing Detroit. It has to do with the Flames players acting like beer league hacks (including their captain who I actually think is one of the top 3 player in the league), Playfair not doing anything to change that, and the Flames organization condoning the actions. 4 penalties in the last 3 minutes involving a stick?? That is crap. The league did exactly what was right.

These guys are pro hockey players aren't they?? This is the kind of stuff that ruins the reputation of the league. Shame on the Flames for their pathetic show of sportsmanship when they were getting their asses handed to them. If they are frustrated at being in the penalty box all the time, they should try to not take penalties!! The refs in the series have called it very good. In fact, total PP’s are 33 for the Red Wings and 30 for the Flames. Pretty close over 6 games. That’s a difference of 0.5 PP/game.

The Flames totally embarrassed themselves and the league by their actions and I am glad that they had to pay for them. Now I hope that Detroit hammers the crap out of them tonight and sends them to the golf course.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  17:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its the perfect amount of games for this incident. It was a harsh slash thats for sure but seeing that it was across the chest does not give it as much attention as if it was a slash to the face. 5 is just about right.

Forecheck+Backcheck= Paycheck!!!
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  18:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was the right punishment concidering the circumstances, McLennan came out of nowhere with that slash. Bit surprised about the fines though.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest9153
( )

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  18:43:50  Reply with Quote
Jeez guys, the league has made it known that they will come down hard on flagrant stick infractions ... McLennan did the crime now he gets the time ... like they say in Russia; "Tough s***sky!!" If McLennan had half a brain he would have dropped his stick and fed Franzen his blocker !!
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  20:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome! I'll do my best to limit newbie mistakes!

The five games was too much. But I think most people agree he deserved something.

As for the fines, I really think they were too harsh, particularly Playfair's. $25 000 to Iginla or Kipper would be like change in my pocket, but to Playfair that has to hurt. I can't imagine he's making a million or more. $25 000 to someone making $750 000, for example, is very steep.

Not that I'd complain if all I had was $725 000 a year, but you know...

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  03:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Five is too many games. 3 at the max. It wasnt really a slash, it was a tap across the chest.

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!

Edited by - Saku Steen on 04/23/2007 03:47:59
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  05:55:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

quote:
Originally posted by HasekFan39

There is always a conspiracy theory for everything isn't there...

I don't think McLennan should have gotten punished so severely but I don't feel sorry for him. I hate that people keep complaining about the goalies always being interfered with nowadays. Goaltending styles have changed and now goalies are coming out to 3 feet outside the crease to make saves. Does that mean everyone has to back up now? The crease used to be a goalie's boundaries but now it's just a painting on the ice. I used to be a goalie so I usually take the goalie's side of the story, but this time I can't. Anyone watch the SJ-Nashville series? Nabokov plays out further than anyone else is in these playoffs and gets interfered with all the time, but I haven't seen him slash anyone (however severely).

Agreed. I think if a goaltender is in the blue ice, that's his domain, and if a player interferes with a goalie then it's a penalty. But, if a goaltender's outside the blue ice, whether he's playing the puck or making a save, he should be fair game. Bar none.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  06:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree only to a point that the goalie is fair game when he's outside the crease. In McLennan's case, I don't think that line was crossed, but I would be real careful about saying anything is fair game. If I'm pushing on a goalie anywhere, I know that I'm liable to be pushed/punched/wheeled off on a stretcher as the punishment fits the crime. These 'punishments' should never involve the use of a stick to hack another player. However, I view this as almost entirely the skaters' responsibility to remove these players, not the goalie. Goalies should never be the initiators of conflict and should be protected by their players. Anyone that uses a stick in the way McLennan did deserves 5 games. Using a stick is entirely different than throwing a punch. I would say congratulations to the league for getting something right.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6127
( )

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  08:29:41  Reply with Quote
The punishment was a joke. Far worse has happened over the years in the playoffs that has got a far lesser punishment. Was McLennens slash really worse than Tootoo's punch?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  09:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally think that this punishment was the first time that the NHL is actually ooking at the crime and not the outcome. To clean up stick infractions, the league needs to send a message that ALL stick infractions more severe than a 2 minute penalty will be punished. To me, this is a pro-active approach to the issue. It shouldn't take a serious injury to punish an action. If all severe stick infractions are handled this way, you will see them reducing and/or eliminated.

I totally support the NHL's decision on this and I hope they keep up the trend.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  10:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The punishment was appropriate for the crime, no doubt. Especially after some of the stickwork incidents lately, I don't think anyone is really surprised about this. McLennan shouldnt be surprised either - there's is no excuse for this. He basically did exactly the same thing as Chris Simon did, less the reputation.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  12:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

.....He basically did exactly the same thing as Chris Simon did, less the reputation.

TCT, let's not get over dramatic. It was nothing like the Simon inccident. McLennan hit him with a love tap to the abdmomen where there is a lot of padding. If McLennan wanted to really hurt him he would have. It was not a two hander to the face. Franzen sold it.

Having said that I thought JM deserved a suspension to send a message. I thought he would get 1 game for sure and 3 if the NHL wanted to be severe. I'm surprised at 5 games. But times are changing and suspensions are getting harder. I don't like it but I have nothing to do with it.

As for the fines, I haven't read the exact reason they were imposed but I suspect that the NHL thought the coach had something to do with it. I don't suscribe to any conspriacy theory here. They pulled Kipper in a blow out after a calgary penalty call with 4 minutes to go. Kipper was being run all game and they didn't want to risk his injury. They didn't put JM in to have him take that action under their direction. I think McLennan foolishly did it on his own.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page