Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2011/12 Presidents' Trophy Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2012 :  22:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which NHL team will win the 2011/12 Presidents' Trophy with the most points in the league?

Choices:

St. Louis Blues
New York Rangers
Vancouver Canucks
Detroit Red Wings
Nashville Predators
Other (who?)

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  12:18:10  Reply with Quote
Wow – it's a real toss-up right now!

There's a big game tonight between the top two teams (in points anyway) in the NHL: St. Louis is in Vancouver tonight, which should be a great game.

I'm surprised how well St. Louis is doing. They are the biggest surprise for me (as far as team success is concerned), and a lot of credit has to go to the their coach - Ken Hitchcock. Goaltending and team defense has been great. I'm just wondering about their lack of goal scoring, and how this will affect them in the playoffs? It hasn't been an issue in how well they're doing in the regular season for sure.

I watched the Blues - Oilers game last night, and the commentator made a comment that the Blues are 31 and 0, when they score three or more goals in a game, which is an interesting stat.

Once again, I think it will be very close, but I think the Rangers will win the President's Trophy, but I think the Blues will be very close to the top, finishing the season as strong as they've played all season. And the Canucks and Wings will be there too, all four teams (just like they are now) within a few points of each other.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  15:43:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is a total tossup at this point, no idea. Any of those teams have a shot, although I think it will come down to VAN, NYR, and DET. Some things to consider:

- VAN plays 13 of their last 18 games at home, and plays a lot of divisional (ie, weak) rivals, so they should be able to win a good percentage of those games.

- NYR have 3 games in hand, but also have more road games left, and play some hard opponents - I had a quick look, but lots of PHI, PIT, NJ, even DET. 3 of their last 4 games against BOS, PHI, PIT.

- DET has injuries to Datsyuk and Lidstrom, both of which are likely multi-week.
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  18:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hitchcock is a hell of a coach think it will come down to the surprise team of the year, the blues, or a repeat of last year's presidents winner. Every team usually plays division rivals to wrap up the season, and as nuxfan said, Vancouver should win their last few games. I'm rooting for the blues to do it though
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  19:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for the Rangers, but really only because they are the team I cheer for. It's a toss up, any of the 4 (sorry Nashville) have a legitimate shot.

As long as it's not Detroit I'll be happy. One of the hockey pools I go in you just have to pick any 20 players in the league. I'm 9 points ahead of the guy in 2nd & 15 up on the guy in 3rd. The majority of our players are the same, so I pretty much have 1st locked up. However, you get 20 bonus points for picking the Presidents Trophy winner. The guy in 2nd & I both have Washington, where as the guy in 3rd took Detroit...

Edited by - ryan93 on 03/01/2012 19:11:30
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  22:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

I voted for the Rangers, but really only because they are the team I cheer for. It's a toss up, any of the 4 (sorry Nashville) have a legitimate shot.

As long as it's not Detroit I'll be happy. One of the hockey pools I go in you just have to pick any 20 players in the league. I'm 9 points ahead of the guy in 2nd & 15 up on the guy in 3rd. The majority of our players are the same, so I pretty much have 1st locked up. However, you get 20 bonus points for picking the Presidents Trophy winner. The guy in 2nd & I both have Washington, where as the guy in 3rd took Detroit...

Ryan, funny you rule out Nashville as everything i hear is little to no respect for the Blues and a ton of "watch out for this team in the playoffs" about the Preds since their deadline moves?

Sucks about your pool, but the Canucks grabbed 2 more tonight to help you there! I'm guessing all three of you have Ov and Backstrom too . Such a disappointing season from them and the Caps thus far.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  23:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

Ryan, funny you rule out Nashville as everything i hear is little to no respect for the Blues and a ton of "watch out for this team in the playoffs" about the Preds since their deadline moves?

Sucks about your pool, but the Canucks grabbed 2 more tonight to help you there! I'm guessing all three of you have Ov and Backstrom too . Such a disappointing season from them and the Caps thus far.

Yeah, I don't know - watching the Blues tonight, they don't look like a team I'd like to face in the playoffs, they'll be tough to play against. The west is shaping up to be a monster, there are no easy routes through right now.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6395
( )

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  01:22:45  Reply with Quote
detroit is guna win the presidents even without captain nick and pavel there team is stacked beyond believe not to mention howards and macdanolds exceptional play strike another shutout for howard tonight... canucks wont win it loungo cracks under pressure i remember watchin him back when he played for florida what a total fail good waste of 10m a year van again mike gillis you are a genius shieder is over rated to both of them cant keep there five hole shut when there butterfly goalies? not to mention lou loses his stick all the time the goalies best weapon! rangers have a good chance they just cant score tho....
Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  11:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it will come down to the Wings & Canucks. I want the Wings to take it because I love the way they play and I hate the way the Canucks play but all year long Vancouver has been helped by their division:

Detroit's division - St Louis(89), Nashville (83), Chicago (79) all in the playoffs

Vancouver's division - only division with just one playoff team and it's them.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  14:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a lot of love for the Rangers. Sure, they're second in the poll, but not many commenting on them. They're currently a point up on the Canucks and have 2 games in hand which could theoretically put them 5 up! I'd say they'd have to be considered the favorite!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  14:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Open_Ice

I think it will come down to the Wings & Canucks. I want the Wings to take it because I love the way they play and I hate the way the Canucks play but all year long Vancouver has been helped by their division:

Detroit's division - St Louis(89), Nashville (83), Chicago (79) all in the playoffs

Vancouver's division - only division with just one playoff team and it's them.

I often see this, about the weak division the Canucks play in, and it's hard to argue as it is weaker than others, but i've yet to hear about the Bruins feasting on "crappy teams". As of today, the combined wins for the teams in the Northwest (excluding Vancouver) is 119. Boston's divisional opposition currently combined have won a grand total of 120.

Just sayin'...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page