Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Who are the best and worst GM's the last few year? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  11:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who do you feel are the best and worst GM's the last few years and why?

"Go chase headlights!"

Edited by - willus3 on 04/27/2007 11:28:08

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  12:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best - Regier
Worst - JFJ

It's a no brainer for me...and since I have no brain....

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  13:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best-Nonis
Worst-JFJ

Why Nonis is smart, and JFJ is a dumbass
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  13:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we can all agree on the worst...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  14:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that Burke has been the best. He basically build the Vancouver team except Luongo that won the Northwest and he had his had in Anaheim who won the Pacific as well. Is there another GM that had their hand in 2 division winners??

And yes, I think we can all agree on who the worst is. However, the guy in Columbus is a very close second.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  14:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we don't all agree on the worst. JFJ hasn't done a great job but I think it's safe to say there are GM's with much worse results.
Doug MacLean who was recently fired as GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets for one. Their record for their six years in the league is 172-258-62.
The closest they have come to a playoff spot was 19 points out. After he was fired he says this: "I'm unbelievably disappointed about where we are but I think we've got an unbelievable foundation in place," MacLean said after the season. "I'm telling you, I look around the league and how many teams would I trade ours for? Not many."
Perhaps he should give the crack pipe a rest for a bit?

Phoenix Coyotes fired Mike Barnett recently as well. They haven't made the playoffs since 2002 and had their worst season since they moved to the desert.

On the good side I think Ray Shero has done some good things since he's been with Pittsburgh.
Doug Wilson has done a brilliant job in SanJose through drafting and trading.
Darcy Regier has also done a very good job assembling the Sabres.

"Go chase headlights!"
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  14:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The worst gotta be JFJ. I dont even need to explain.

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  14:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My vote for best goes to the Murray/Burke tandem in Anaheim.

Murray started things out with the great youth movement and with: Getzlaf, Kunitz, Penner, .. and I believe he got McDonald as well.

Then Burke finished it off by filling in the holes (understatement) with: hiring Carlyle, and adding Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Teemu Selanne, Rob Niedermayer, and Beauchemin - Not to mention getting rid of dead weight and stockpiling draft picks.

Kudos.

Edited by - tctitans on 04/27/2007 14:54:35
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  20:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I know I'm biased but I figured people would have given more props to Doug Wilson (thanks Willus). The drafting in 2003 (Carle, Bernier, Michalek, Pavelski), drafting Vlasic 35th overall in 2005, the trade of the century with the acquisition of Thornton for a few 3rd-line players, the acquisition of Grier for hardly anything, the trade deadline moves to get Rivet and Guerin this year...

Worst is a tie between MacLean and JFJr.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  22:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just about to say Wilson and Nonis deserves his respect for acquiring Roberto Luongo and Lukas Krajeck

and probably McLean but he also didn't have luck because of LaCleiere getting injured and Nash and Modin not playing as there best hockey and Berard this guy i just dunno about him any more with that said i think it was the Phoenix Gm

Viktor Kozlov is my hero
Go to Top of Page

Guest4462
( )

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  23:21:31  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Wow, I know I'm biased but I figured people would have given more props to Doug Wilson (thanks Willus). The drafting in 2003 (Carle, Bernier, Michalek, Pavelski), drafting Vlasic 35th overall in 2005, the trade of the century with the acquisition of Thornton for a few 3rd-line players, the acquisition of Grier for hardly anything, the trade deadline moves to get Rivet and Guerin this year...

Worst is a tie between MacLean and JFJr.

I give Wilson his kudos as he's done an admirable job. But dont try to compare the above to what Anaheim has done, they are on another level.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  20:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love JFJ...He's a funny guy....Just the way he tries to word his decisions is hilarious.

he fired quinn which was wise and hired Paul........He has done the best with the resources available......I mean, he's no Nonis, but whatever.....Who does he have as trade bait? NOBODY!!!!!!! So give him a break.

I am not a Burke fan (I'm a Dave Pratt fan, thus eliminating my liking for Burke), he has gotta chill out a bit. In vancouver, he made his press conferences more morbid than the ones done by the VPD. Is is a prick to the media, and is just a really depressing guy, I would NOT like to work for that guy (or have him working for me).

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  01:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

I love JFJ...He's a funny guy....Just the way he tries to word his decisions is hilarious.

he fired quinn which was wise and hired Paul........He has done the best with the resources available......I mean, he's no Nonis, but whatever.....Who does he have as trade bait? NOBODY!!!!!!! So give him a break.

I am not a Burke fan (I'm a Dave Pratt fan, thus eliminating my liking for Burke), he has gotta chill out a bit. In vancouver, he made his press conferences more morbid than the ones done by the VPD. Is is a prick to the media, and is just a really depressing guy, I would NOT like to work for that guy (or have him working for me).

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!

I've always liked Burke myself. He is a bit dry and perhaps even morbid as you say, but he's as straight as they come. He says it like it is and doesnt beat around any bush... facts are facts and he's not going to play games with you (well, at least not many and not often). I always found that very very refreshing. He was always a homer, stood up for his guys, and yes he is a smart tough Irish bastard, and I respected that too.

Edited by - tctitans on 04/29/2007 01:22:52
Go to Top of Page

Guest4988
( )

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  06:03:17  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

"Go chase headlights!"

Worst: Mike McConnell. That Thornton trade was ridiculous.

Best: Couple of people. Lamorello (cap space management). Regier (the building of Buffalo). Suter (signing Kipper to that deal). Burke (Vancouver and Anaheim, plus a while back Carolina).
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2007 :  06:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that JFJ has been the worst. He has put a team 1-2 points out of a playoff spot the last two seasons, so its not that bad. I would say best is Regier or Burke, but the most underrated is David Poile. He has made a solid Predators team that is a Cup contender.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  06:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4988

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

"Go chase headlights!"

Worst: Mike McConnell. That Thornton trade was ridiculous.

Best: Couple of people. Lamorello (cap space management). Regier (the building of Buffalo). Suter (signing Kipper to that deal). Burke (Vancouver and Anaheim, plus a while back Carolina).

McConnell was forced into the Thornton trade by Jerry Jacobs, the owner. Not that he's done a great job, but he's not working with much.

Btw I think arguments can be made for 5 or 6 GM's, including Burke and Wilson, as the best. Clearly the salary cap has given creative GM's the tools to succeed, and the not so creative (ahem ahem, JFJ!) the means to fail.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page