Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Boston
 RadReturn Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9184
( )

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  14:40:15  Reply with Quote
Alexander Radulov scored 44 goals in two seasons in Nashville when he was just starting his professional career. He's 25 now and has a total of six professional seasons on his resume, including the last four in Russia's Kontinental Hockey League, where he widely was considered the best player on the ice in every single game.

Guest9504
( )

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  17:58:58  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information. So what is your point?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5794 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  18:53:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can only assume the OP is trying to make a point of what a bonus this must be to an organization like Nashville, to be able to add a guy like Radulov, who many consider to be the best player playing outside the NHL, at this point in the season, especially to a team considered to already be a contender.

There was some debate about whether or not it was fair they could add him without having to have him clear waivers, but the Preds managed to get around that.

Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie



Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  11:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116


There was some debate about whether or not it was fair they could add him without having to have him clear waivers, but the Preds managed to get around that.





I don't think anyone has a good arguement to put up against it. imagine your best offensive player leaves with one year left on his contract.

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5794 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  12:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by @valanche

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116


There was some debate about whether or not it was fair they could add him without having to have him clear waivers, but the Preds managed to get around that.





I don't think anyone has a good arguement to put up against it. imagine your best offensive player leaves with one year left on his contract.

66 is > than 99



Well, there is a rule in the CBA that states " the CBA requires that all players who start the season in Europe must clear waivers before returning to the NHL during that same season."
I believe that is what other teams were basing their arguments on, however, there's also a rule whereby "Players who sign their first contract at 20 have three years or 160 games of waiver-exemption". Apparently for 20 year olds, AHL games count too, however, being that Radulove played just 145 games over 2 years in the NHL and another 11 in the AHL, he just scrapes by the waiver rule by a mere 4 games! Nashville is very lucky it turns out!

All info is from the following article: http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/2012/3/19/2884338/does-the-cba-allow-radulov-to-return-to-the-nhl-without-clearing
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie



Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  12:30:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Well, there is a rule in the CBA that states " the CBA requires that all players who start the season in Europe must clear waivers before returning to the NHL during that same season."
I believe that is what other teams were basing their arguments on, however, there's also a rule whereby "Players who sign their first contract at 20 have three years or 160 games of waiver-exemption". Apparently for 20 year olds, AHL games count too, however, being that Radulove played just 145 games over 2 years in the NHL and another 11 in the AHL, he just scrapes by the waiver rule by a mere 4 games! Nashville is very lucky it turns out!



so you're saying if he had played 4 more games a couple years ago and was trying to enter the league again he could be picked up by anyone when put on waivers by nashville? in addition he wouldn't be able to play in the playoffs im guessing...

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3586 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  13:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by @valanche

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Well, there is a rule in the CBA that states " the CBA requires that all players who start the season in Europe must clear waivers before returning to the NHL during that same season."
I believe that is what other teams were basing their arguments on, however, there's also a rule whereby "Players who sign their first contract at 20 have three years or 160 games of waiver-exemption". Apparently for 20 year olds, AHL games count too, however, being that Radulove played just 145 games over 2 years in the NHL and another 11 in the AHL, he just scrapes by the waiver rule by a mere 4 games! Nashville is very lucky it turns out!



so you're saying if he had played 4 more games a couple years ago and was trying to enter the league again he could be picked up by anyone when put on waivers by nashville? in addition he wouldn't be able to play in the playoffs im guessing...

66 is > than 99



I thought this ruling was based on the fact that Radulov was under contract but suspended by the team. In this case, the player has simply been un-suspended by the team and can rejoin them with no waiver issue.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  13:43:13  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by @valanche

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Well, there is a rule in the CBA that states " the CBA requires that all players who start the season in Europe must clear waivers before returning to the NHL during that same season."
I believe that is what other teams were basing their arguments on, however, there's also a rule whereby "Players who sign their first contract at 20 have three years or 160 games of waiver-exemption". Apparently for 20 year olds, AHL games count too, however, being that Radulove played just 145 games over 2 years in the NHL and another 11 in the AHL, he just scrapes by the waiver rule by a mere 4 games! Nashville is very lucky it turns out!



so you're saying if he had played 4 more games a couple years ago and was trying to enter the league again he could be picked up by anyone when put on waivers by nashville? in addition he wouldn't be able to play in the playoffs im guessing...

66 is > than 99



a good example is what happened to Nabakov. he wanted back in the NHL, and Detroit was prepared to sign him. but first he had to clear waivers. that's when the Islanders came in and scooped him up.
its similar to players that teams want to bury in the minors to clear cap space (e.g. Wade Redden). in order to send them to the minors, they first have to clear waivers and as a result run risk of other teams snatching them up.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend



5794 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  14:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be completely honest with you, i didn't follow the whole Radulov thing (his return, the debate, the ruling, etc) but from that article i linked, it sounds as though if he'd played 4 more NHL or AHL games, he'd have had to clear waivers. The stipulation in there, which is meant for rookies signing their first contract i believe, is what got him by without having to clear!
Go to Top of Page

slozo
Moderator



Canada
4593 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  20:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Alex, had no idea that there was this 4 game difference . . . lucky indeed for the Preds. And here I was thinking Bettman was bending rules for marginal hockey market franchises he wanted to succeed . . .

It's a big boost, for sure. He can score; he has skill; and he was always a solid defensive forward, in the mold of many of the skilled Russians like Datsyuk et el. He is a Datsyuk lite, in fact.

Nashville looks like the darkhorse team of the west, since we can't pick the top team (St.Louis) as a darkhorse.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page