Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 What is the Best Hockey Rivalry? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  16:44:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well obviously as a wings fan i'd say the wings-avalanche was a great rivalry but who else has some good ones? Even better lets here some international rivalries also.

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you gave - win or lose. -Gordie Howe

Edited by - GOWINGS19 on 04/30/2007 16:45:48

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  16:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leafs-Canadians, Leafs-Senators, Oilers-Flames, Florida-Tampa...There are more but I can't seem to remember much more.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  16:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Leafs-Canadians, Leafs-Senators, Oilers-Flames, Florida-Tampa...There are more but I can't seem to remember much more.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)

Oh come on now...back in the day my wings had a pretty big rivalry with the leafs also haha the original six had some personal issues with eachother throughout the history...but going along with the leafs i found a nice little bit on the Battle of Ontario between the leafs and the Senators thought maybe you'd like to read it via good ol Wikipedia haha http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ontario#Battle_of_Ontario

You find that you have peace of mind and can enjoy yourself, get more sleep, and rest when you know that it was a one hundred percent effort that you gave - win or lose. -Gordie Howe
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  21:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boston-Montreal. just ask Andyhack.

"Go chase headlights!"
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  03:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It used to be Montreal-Toronto but the NHL changed that. Since they play so many times its no big deal when they play against each other. The Battle of Ontario is the biggest rivaley right now. They are just so physical games with tons of intensity. Back in the day it was probably Montreal-Boston but since I am only young I really cant comment on it.

1000th post!

Edited by - Saku Steen on 05/01/2007 03:35:41
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  06:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In recent years, Sens/Leafs.

But i don't think it holds much weight compared to the Wings/Avs in the late 90s or the Flames/Oil through the 80s and early 90s.
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  06:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

But i don't think it holds much weight compared to the Wings/Avs in the late 90s or the Flames/Oil through the 80s and early 90s.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  10:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still Oil/Flames. If they were better teams, it would be even more intense, but it seems they takes turns sucking lately.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  11:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quebec montreal (when there was a team in quebec)

actually sens/toronto

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  01:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It used to be Montreal-Toronto but the NHL changed that. Since they play so many times its no big deal when they play against each other. The Battle of Ontario is the biggest rivaley right now. They are just so physical games with tons of intensity. Back in the day it was probably Montreal-Boston but since I am only young I really cant comment on it.

1000th post!

Actually, back in the original six days, they played each team more times than they play now. The rivalry has died down because they never play in the playoffs and there are just more Canadian teams to cheer for.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  05:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigShow

Ya Big Shows right over the years I have enjoyed watching the Habs against the Leafs but in the past couple of years the Sens- Leafs rivalry has been heating up and each game is a well fought, hard battled game(Even though the Leafs lose most of those)

Forecheck+Backcheck= Paycheck!!!
Go to Top of Page

number1leafsfan
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  06:01:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saku Steen

1000th post!

Nah i still think its the canadians and leafs and congrats on 1000 im not even close

Go Leafs Go
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  08:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Boston-Montreal. just ask Andyhack.

"Go chase headlights!"

Ouch! Well, you're right, it was a great rivalry for many years! Aside from the Original 6 history, in the '70s you first had the powerful Orr/Espo favorites being upset by a Habs team with a young goalie named Ken Dryden who just stoned the Bruins from all accounts. In the late '70s you had the lunchpail gang of Bruins, not anywhere near as naturally talented as the Habs, pushing maybe the best Dynasty ever to the brink of elimination. And, in the '80s, until '88, you had guys like Mats Naslund spoiling the fun, almost year after year, for the Bruins again. But, they were almost always GREAT games - very, very exciting.

From 1988 to 1994, you had what now historically has to be looked at as the "Glory Years" for Bruins fans (even then the frigging Habs snuck in a victory in '89, BUT, '88, '90, '91, '92 and '94 belonged to the Bs). Two of those series went seven games, all of them were generally full of edge of your seat games.
* Sidenote - in '90, I went out for a drive for most of the third period of the clinching game for the Bruins (and just listened to music). It was 1-1 after two, and my heart just couldn't take it anymore - came back and there were still like 2 minutes left and the game was STILL tied! Mission NOT accomplished. Shortly after that Glen Wesley scored for the Bs and I joyfully screamed so loudly and so continuously that my stunningly beautiful neighbour knocked on the door to see if everything was okay. She was kind of scared of me from then on unfortunately.

Recent history again has not been too kind to the Bruins, with the Joe Thornton led favorite teams always seeming to find a way to lose - though in 2002 it was primarily Jose Theodore. That one was tough, cause the Bruins really looked strong that year - Guerin was playing great back then.

Anyway, it's a great, but sort of spooky, rivalry. Best ever? Have to think a little more about that, but for me personally, with the exception of a few golden years there, it certainly has easily been the most PAINFUL!

Edited by - andyhack on 05/06/2007 11:00:11
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  19:39:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
way to push the history lesson andyhack great info...i still get excited when original six teams happen across eachother during the seasons even though i was not alive for loads of years after it started good posts guys

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  23:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nice up and coming rivalry is the Sens/Sabres. Last seasons p-off battle may have only went 5 games, but it was the best series in my opinion (all 1 goal games). Then you had the brawl this season. Not to mention they are the 2 most talented teams in the east...I can't wait til they battle in round 3!

The Bruins/Habs was great in the day (before mine)...I remember reading about that 3rd round series in the 70's when Cherry put too many men on the ice and it cost them game 7 in OT (I think Guy scored it....Don Claims he was offside)..That was Cherry's last game in the Boston Gardens.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!

Edited by - I HATE CROSBY on 05/06/2007 23:56:26
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  10:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

A nice up and coming rivalry is the Sens/Sabres. Last seasons p-off battle may have only went 5 games, but it was the best series in my opinion (all 1 goal games). Then you had the brawl this season. Not to mention they are the 2 most talented teams in the east...I can't wait til they battle in round 3!

The Bruins/Habs was great in the day (before mine)...I remember reading about that 3rd round series in the 70's when Cherry put too many men on the ice and it cost them game 7 in OT (I think Guy scored it....Don Claims he was offside)..That was Cherry's last game in the Boston Gardens.

Agreed. All bets are off with this series after the melee that broke out a couple months ago. And now that the Sens have rolled through two series, I guess it's time to start considering them as a real contender. I can't imagine either team will steamroll through this series. It's going to be a knockdown dragout, and i think this rivalry will continue to grow and become more heated as both teams have a good young core.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

soulcatcher
Top Prospect

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  21:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well for me the best Hockey Rivalry is the Islanders/Rangers. Being a longtime Isles fan this is the rivalry for me. However I put the Habs/Bruins a real close second.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  07:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
soulcatcher Posted - 05/08/2007 : 21:33:30 Well for me the best Hockey Rivalry is the Islanders/Rangers. Being a longtime Isles fan this is the rivalry for me. However I put the Habs/Bruins a real close second.

Tom

I've heard the Hudson River rivalry (Devils/Rangers) is more intense than the Isles/Rangers, but I'm not really sure, and I know that the islanders and rangers have tons of chants against the other team.
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  16:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colorado Vancouver is a pretty intense rivalry
Go to Top of Page

Guest6195
( )

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  16:40:56  Reply with Quote
ISLANDERS AND RANGERS NO DOUBT, ESPECIALLY AT THE NVMC.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6195
( )

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  16:41:57  Reply with Quote
ISLANDERS AND RANGERS NO DOUBT, ESPECIALLY AT THE NVMC.
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  19:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by manninm

quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

Agreed. All bets are off with this series after the melee that broke out a couple months ago. And now that the Sens have rolled through two series, I guess it's time to start considering them as a real contender. I can't imagine either team will steamroll through this series. It's going to be a knockdown dragout, and i think this rivalry will continue to grow and become more heated as both teams have a good young core.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden

Lucky for us we get to see these two teams really jumpstart the rivalry in the next couple days...gonna be a great series for sure

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page