Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 NHL in Europe Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  17:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
This is from Eurohockey.net
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings to open 2007-08 NHL regular season in London.

The National Hockey League (NHL), in cooperation with the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), announced today the Anaheim Ducks and Los Angeles Kings will open the 2007-08 NHL regular season in London, England at Europe’s most state-of-the art entertainment venue, the O2 Arena.

“Our commitment to grow the game globally has never been stronger,” said NHL Deputy Commissioner, Bill Daly. “The NHL is extremely proud to be represented in London by two great hockey organizations in the Ducks and Kings as well as to be recording NHL history at such a fantastic facility in the 02.”

After three successful Game One events in Japan (1997, 1998 & 2000), NHL Premiere will mark the first time the NHL will have played regular-season games in Europe. The home-and-home series will take place on Saturday, Sept. 29, at 8:00 p.m. (GMT) and Sunday, Sept. 30, at 5:00 p.m. (GMT). It also marks the third trip to London by the NHL. In 1993, the New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs played a two-game preseason series at Wembley Arena, as did the Chicago Blackhawks and Montreal Canadiens in 1992. A complete NHL history overseas is available on media.nhl.com.

“This is a historic and exciting announcement for the Kings, the NHL and the new O2 Arena,” said Timothy J. Leiweke, who in addition to serving as Kings Governor serves as President & CEO for AEG, the parent company of the Kings and the owners and operators of the O2. “Everybody associated with the Kings and AEG are thrilled with the unique opportunity to take our team and the great game of hockey overseas, and there could not be a better venue than the O2 to host such an event. The Kings-Ducks rivalry has been a lot of fun for a lot of years in Southern California. The NHL Premiere 2007 series in England takes it to an unrivaled and unprecedented level.”

“This a great honor for us, to be chosen to play in the NHL’s first regular-season games in Europe,” said Anaheim Ducks Executive Vice President/General Manager Brian Burke. “Showcasing a great rivalry between two clubs from the Southern California market will be terrific for the NHL.”

More details on NHL Premiere will be released at a later date, including information on Ducks and Kings training camp and exhibition schedules.

Tickets on sale March 1 and are available online at this website or for U.S. and Canada through TicketMaster at 011-44-870-534-4444.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have also heard that the NHL is planning to put a team in Europe. Would this work??

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)

Choices:

Yes
No
Possibly
Who Cares

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  17:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting but hard to do with the cost of everything. If they can put a team in Europe, how can they not put a team in Winnipeg!!!!

~~~~~Great season Stars, better luck next year~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  17:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it would work, the fan base would be fine, but it's hard enough on the players as it is as far as travelling goes. It would be too tiring and too expensive. Especially for the european team, traveling overseas almost daily. Another question, what division and conferece would they be in?

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  17:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They're opening the season in London eh? Yeah that makes sense because there are tons of hockey fans in Britain...

As for a team in Europe--worst idea I've ever heard. I'd rather have two teams in Toronto before putting one 5000 miles away. There'd be long-distance travelling involved, and the players are already worn out from travelling across North America. They'd have to put two teams in Europe to make the conferences even, and what confernce would they be in? Geographically they're both to the east but then the East would have more teams than the West. And they're considering putting a team in Europe but not Canada? There are ten times more hockey fans in Canada who will go to games and appreciate much more than Europeans. There are only about six countries in Europe (if you count Russia) where hockey is even popular. And then there's the whole mess with currency exchange. It's hard enough from Canadian dollar to US dollar, now they'd have to do it with Euros too! Or whatever currency the country uses (not all use Euros). There's just too many complicating issues. It's not practical and shouldn't be done. Yeah a lot of the players are from Europe, but when it comes to cities getting teams, this is the NATIONAL hockey league, not the International Hockey League.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  18:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO NO NO NO NO!

The thought of this makes me cringe, because I've heard a few people in NHL circles that think it's actually a good idea to have a European division. If it happens, I am converting from NHL fanatic to knitting or something. The thought of hearing "The Berlin Bears are the Stanley Cup Champions!" coming out of Bob Cole's mouth makes me want to vomit hard.

It's OUR Game. If they want to play it and put ads all over their uniforms and hook and whislte and do whatever they do in Europe, fine, but they can't have the Cup. Not even for a couple of months. It belongs in North America (with respect to Mexico, not that far south).

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  18:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe they could set up a euro college league. Players from Britain and certain players from the Canadian college leagues. Just more intense then here in Canada. Use Britain as our guinea pigs this time. Get many British sponsors aswell. I think an NHL team there is not a great plan seeing as revenue will suck when fans from another continent aren't going to fly across for away games. Also, tv revenue won't be so hot as Britain is a soccer country. They aren't going to quit soccer for hockey which I'm sure not many of them have played before. I said no.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2007 :  03:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are many other places in North America that would be better then Europe. Still, if they got a team I think that they could keep it because hockey is pretty popular over there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page