Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Rink Stink!
 Top Ten Reasons to Love the NHL Playoffs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The 4th Line Banger
Top Prospect

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  19:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are like me and you bleed the colours of a team that did not make the playoffs, you may need a few reasons to stay interested in the playoffs. Here are my top ten reasons to love the NHL playoffs (even if your team is golfing):

10 – No Egos – It seems like everything gets tossed aside other than winning the game. There is no arrogance, no egos, and no ulterior motives. Winning is the only thing that matters.

9 – The Fans Chant – I had the pleasure of being at a few of the games during the Oilers moldy Cup run more than a few years ago and it is hard to put into words. The volume of the stadium was loud starting 10 minutes before the game. The singing of Oh Canada, the chants and cheers. If you have not been there live you cannot appreciate the experience. I remember not being able to hear anything until the following afternoon. To say it is awesome is an understatement.

8 – The Game Winning Goal – Nothing can be more elating or deflating than the game winning goal. I find myself hoping for a tie game with 5 minutes to go just so I can pick a side. Give it a try and cheer for a team as if they have been your team forever. Let me know how you feel when a goal is scored. It’s great!

7 – The Green Men – Personally, I am not big on fans getting involved in the game but I have to make an exception for these two goofs. What a great addition to the game to see these two creative geniuses and their antics at the penalty box.

6 – Intensity and Physicality – Throw all the garbage and fighting out the window and enjoy a few months of the real definition of physical play in hockey. Every hit is finished; every inch of ice is fought for.

5 – Playoff Overtime – I recall the Islanders/Capitals game from 1987 that was won by Pat Lafontaine early in the 4th overtime period. I was 9 years old and I either had some of the most creative excuses in the world as to why I needed to see the end of the game or my mother understood the meaning of quadruple overtime. There is nothing better than the red eyed, caffeine fuelled morning after a playoff game that went into multiple overtime periods.

4 – Gary Bettman Getting Booed – I laugh heartily when Gary B tries to talk before handing over the Mug to the Champs and the fans are booing him so loud he can’t hear himself. The guy can’t win for losing. It`s also bittersweet as that is the signal that hockey is over until the fall.

3 – Items tossed on the Ice – From the octopus to the rat to the newly introduced catfish, I have just two questions about this: a) how do people get this stuff into the arena, and b) is anyone else hopeful that some Leaf fan tosses waffles on the ice when that team finds a way back into the playoffs?

2 – The Playoff Beard – The only time of the year (other than Movember) where a man who can’t or should not grow facial hair can get away with it. Sheesh, if the guy has the same allegiance as you do, he will be applauded for growing a rat that could be taken care of with tweezers in a matter of seconds. But you also gotta love a guy who could hide a nest of sparrows under his chin.

1 – The Handshake Line – Only in hockey can men (real men) battle each other nearly to death and still have the respect for the game and their opponent to shake the enemies’ hands once a winner is decided.

Please post your own reasons why you love the playoffs.

Have an opinion on The Fourth Line Banger's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page