Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Trivia & Other Games
 The Long lost art of shadowing Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4227
( )

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  05:41:38  Reply with Quote
The ability to shadow a player or shut down an opposing star seems to be gone in the new NHL. Where is the Esa Tikkanen of this generation.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why this is. I realize that there are still good defensive forwards but not to the extent it used to be. I remember Brett Hull being shut down. Watching Giroux made me think of this. Staal should have been on his hip all series.

Anyone else?

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  07:13:42  Reply with Quote
Steve Kasper was well regaurded as a top notch "shawdow" Wayne Gretzky said he was one of the best.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  09:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mention Giroux, but . . . did you watch that series, and forget about Coutourier shadowing Malkin the entire series?

I thought that for a rookie - despite Malkin's point totals - he did an excellent job against the MVP of the league.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  09:50:26  Reply with Quote
shadowing is tough to do with a team like Philly. sure Staal could have been all over Giroux like a fly on stink, but then you still have to worry about Briere, Hartnell, Jagr, etc.

it's a much better strategy when the majority of your offense revolves around one player, or one line. but when you have a well balanced attack like Philly does, it takes a total team defensive effort to shut them down.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8384
( )

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  10:21:14  Reply with Quote
Slozo I agree Couturier did a fantastic job on Malkin. I am sure there are a few teams from last years draft that are calling their scouts.

Before this year, the last I remember where someone was actually sent out to shut someone down was Zetterberg on Crosby in the finals. The shut down guy is usually not as good as Zetterberg mind you.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  10:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8384

Slozo I agree Couturier did a fantastic job on Malkin. I am sure there are a few teams from last years draft that are calling their scouts.

Before this year, the last I remember where someone was actually sent out to shut someone down was Zetterberg on Crosby in the finals. The shut down guy is usually not as good as Zetterberg mind you.

Oh - I remember a couple of great ones in the last few years.

Boston over Vancouver
Bergeron on the Sedins (if I remember that correctly - at any rate, the Sedins were totally neutralised that series)

Chicago 2 years ago
Bolland on the Sedins, then Bolland on Briere in the finals (again, if I remember correctly)

Best that I remember in the playoffs:
Claude Lemieux . . . with the Devils in (had to look this up) 1995, pestering Sergei Federov to death in the final, and Eric Lindros in the semis before that.

Have to give my all-time props for shadowing to the all-time most hated pest in the NHL, lol.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  10:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, i'd agree with Bolland on the Sedins, though it wasn't exactly shadowing like some of the other examples but the Bergeron one i don't recall as much. I think it had more to do with Chara in the offensive zone, his physicallity and huge reach!

Lemieux indeed was one of the best at pestering/shadowing as he was effective whilst being able to chip in offensively as well!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2012 :  13:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think shadowing has left the game. I think its the defenseman who are doing the job. I think Chara on Ovechin is a good example. Just not that many Forwards doing it as well as the defenseman.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page