Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Collectables
 Successful Autographs By Mail Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  15:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to know which guys send back, here are the ones I have sent to that I had returned with an autograph (I know several are retired, but I thought I'd mention them anyway):

Gretzky (when he was King - I know, a while back)
Modano (sent my card and a postcard, both signed)
Selanne (the fastest to return - two weeks)
Lindros
Gary Roberts (sent back 2)
Sakic
Rob Niedermeyer
John Leclair
Joe Thornton
Iginla
Jeff Freisen
Zhamnov
Pavel Bure
Kipper
Mike Fisher
Chris Osgood
Jagr (took almost a year to get back)
Brett Hull
Mike Ricci
Trevor Linden
Rod Brind'Amour
Al Macinnis
Pat Falloon
Mark Recchi
Paul Kariya
Phil Housley
Joe Juneau
Dave Andreychuk
Mike Gartner
Bill Ranford
Ryan Smyth
Jim Carrey
Alexandre Daigle
Wade Redden
Joe Niewendyke
Brian Savage
Kirk Muller
Ron Tugnutt

Guys I sent to that never returned (some multiple times):
Messier
Yzerman
Mario Lemieux
Marian Hossa
Brad Richards
Martin St. Louis
Martin Brodeur
Scott Gomez
Scott Niedermeyer
Curtis Joseph
Peter Forsberg
Hasek
Vincent Lecavalier
David Legwand
Ray Bourque
Mats Sundin
Anyone while with the Rangers
Anyone while with the Detroit Red Wings

As you can see, I've had pretty good luck. I'm batting about .600.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. - Gretz

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  15:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are curious, the best teams are the Flames and Oilers. I have had nearly 100% success with those teams. Toronto will send actual autographs, but not on your card - on team cards. Same with the Ducks. They used to send 8x10's. I don't know if they do that anymore, though.

The worst is Detroit and NYR. New Jersey is bad, too. NYR and NJD will send you a postcard of the player, but it is not signed.

Patrick Roy never sent anything back either, by the way.

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  19:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Jagr (took almost a year to get back)

Ah, a procrastinator. I always knew I liked Jagr

Next season, or during the end of this one, I'm going to do this. Perhaps I'll start with Selanne since he's the fastest. As of right now, the only contact I've had with hockey players is leaving fan comments on Datsyuk's and Ponikarovsky's websites (tried with Kovalchuk and Kovalev but theirs were slow and never loaded), and writing an fan letter to Vladislav Tretjak (you can do that on his website).
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  19:45:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always found the best time to send them is early in the season, or even during training camp. That's when I've had my best results.

Just make sure you don't start the letter by saying, "Hey could you sign my card?"

I always tell them what I like about the way they play, how I hope the team will do well, and how I'm a fan. It's all honest.

Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  17:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did you find these players addresses or whatever?
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  18:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i sent and got back:

McCabe
Naslund
Iginla
Lemieux
Koivu
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  08:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told that many players, not just hockey players, will bend the card at the corner or do other kind of damage to it before they sign it. That way, the value of the card is not that high. The purpose is so that people can not make money off of their signature.

Fly, as it seems you have a ton of signatures, is this the case??

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2007 :  12:38:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you send them to Montreal, St Lois and Tampa Bay they will always send you something back.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  19:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a website that tells you the address for teams. Maybe if you ask them they will ask the player for you. I want to try and get autographs this year.

http://www2.nhl.com/kids/subpage/write.html

Second place is only first place of the losers.

Edited by - leafsfan_101 on 07/29/2007 20:00:44
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  19:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do send one what should you say in the letter?

No Sacrifice , No Victory!
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  21:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I take 5 months to respond...hope you're all patient.

First, what to say in your letter...

I always say that I am a big fan of the player and of his team (not a lie - I like all teams and I'm a fan of the game above all else, and I only send to players I like). I compliment them on something recent, like a good goal or a big hit, that way they know I'm an actual fan, not just some clown looking for a freebie. I tell them that I have sent a hockey card of theirs in order to get an autograph, because I like the personalized ones best. I tell them I understand if they don't have the time to do it, and tell them to keep the card if this is the case (they do anyway, or somebody does, because I never get blank ones back). Sometimes I'll send two cards and tell them to keep one (I have friends in the NHL who like this - they give them to their moms, kids, or nephews). Last, I say thanks for your time and best of luck in the coming season or playoffs, depending on when the card is sent.

Note - I never lie. I believe in karma. I got my Gretzky auto by being honest and saying that I have been a lifelong fan, and that I'd die for an autograph of the guy I respect more than words can say. He sent my exact card back signed, and the envelope has his writing on it, too. Yes, I kept the envelope.

I also do not sell these cards. First, without authenticity, they are not worth much, but even more important, I appreciate the guy taking time to sign my card. I'm not going to be a jerk and sell it off for a few lousy dollars.

To answer Beans' question....I have too many autographs to easily count. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-700 or so. A nice collection for my kids someday. I also collect autographed jerseys and sticks. (way more difficult to get, but so nice to display). I collect regular cards, too. I have no idea how many of those I have - it would be in the high tens of thousands, or low hundred thousand.

Edited by - fly4apuckguy on 10/16/2007 21:32:29
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  23:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I was told that many players, not just hockey players, will bend the card at the corner or do other kind of damage to it before they sign it. That way, the value of the card is not that high. The purpose is so that people can not make money off of their signature.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??

Ive been told by a few people that the card itself is worth less when the players sign it because the card is no longer in mint conditon.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  20:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

quote:

Ive been told by a few people that the card itself is worth less when the players sign it because the card is no longer in mint conditon.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

This is partially true. If the card is not authenticated, then most collectors will not pay premium value for it, and in fact no longer want it as a base card. There are ways to have it authenticated, though. Many grading companies with examine autographs and declare them authentic or not. If they are declared authentic, then they will have a premium value.
For myself, the interest has always been in the success of getting an auto from a player I admire, so its cash value is meaningless to me. However, it may be something my kids will want to look into in the future when I lose my faculties and hand my collection over to them.
Or maybe I'll just leave them to my cat.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  13:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i sent and got back

Curtis Joseph
Darryl Sittler
Jean Beliveau
Saku Koivu
Carlo Colaiacovo
Paul Kariya
Mario Lemieux

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  20:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

i sent and got back

Curtis Joseph
Darryl Sittler
Jean Beliveau
Saku Koivu
Carlo Colaiacovo
Paul Kariya
Mario Lemieux

GO PREDATORS GO

Were these recent? If so, how did you get the Beliveau? Thnx.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  06:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Fly, my prized posession:

8" x 10" glossy proof. Gretzky in the dressing room with the gold stick and puck from breaking Howe's record. Since it's in the dressing room, he's already go his jersey off and if just wearing that old school blue undershirt. He's looking to the side so the picture was never developed into production of any kind, and this was before the world of digital photography. It is signed to me personally. It says, "To Bradley, Have fun. Wayne Gretzky."

My mother worked in a place that was frequented by a photography for the Oilers. When my Mom told the guy what a Gretzky fan I was, next time he came to the store he brought it with him.

My mother wrote all over the back of it, because my parents were actually at that game live, so the dollar value is low. But like I care. I'd never sell that piece anyway.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  06:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

i sent and got back

Curtis Joseph
Darryl Sittler
Jean Beliveau
Saku Koivu
Carlo Colaiacovo
Paul Kariya
Mario Lemieux

GO PREDATORS GO

Were these recent? If so, how did you get the Beliveau? Thnx.

My dad got the Beliveau for me.

All the others were within about the last 3 years.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  14:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, that's a great item, and a great story too. Thanks goodness it was taken after the game and not during that ridiculously long interruption..

I get asked a lot by people, "What is your collection worth"? I tell them that it's worth nothing. It would have to be sold in order to have any cash value, and I'm not selling anything.

My kids, on the other hand, may have to answer that question some day...

I have a Beliveau autograph...he signed his book for me at a bookstore once. That must have been 15 years ago now. I'd like his auto on a card, too. He's one of the classiest guys who ever laced them up.

Edited by - fly4apuckguy on 10/20/2007 14:26:11
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2007 :  14:29:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Beans, that's a great item, and a great story too. Thanks goodness it was taken after the game and not during that ridiculously long interruption..

I get asked a lot by people, "What is your collection worth"? I tell them that it's worth nothing. It would have to be sold in order to have any cash value, and I'm not selling anything.

My kids, on the other hand, may have to answer that question some day...

I have a Beliveau autograph...he signed his book for me at a bookstore once. That must have been 15 years ago now. I'd like his auto on a card, too. He's one of the classiest guys who ever laced them up.

Imagine how I would have went off if I found out Beans photo prolonged that ceremony...

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  15:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting you should mention that Beans. As early as today at 1:50-ish, I went to a skate with Ken Dryden, as he is appealing for votes to be re-elected as MP in some GTA region. So, naturally, my family donned our Habs jersey, laced 'em up, and went for a skate with my dad's boyhood idol! And, also naturally, we asked for an autograph. And, also naturally, he complied. But, and this is where I relate to Beans's comment: he would not sign without first making a personal note, like ''To Alex'' or something like that. This way, it loses a lot of value right off the bat.

I am open to give my two cents worth as to why I think a player would do this in a seperate post but for now, I'm sure you are all wondering what the skate was like, so I will tell you:

We got to talk to him and it was a blast. He told us his memories from hockey days, we talked about why he quit so young, we talked about what it was like to play against the greats, but better yet, with the greatest of the greats! We talked about the 72 Summit Series and about politics (unfortunately, he had an agenda to meet... )

It was funny because some guy came in, apparently a best friend to Dryden when he was 17, and said 'Bah what does this guy know? He couldn't save anything! I was better!' and proceeded to skate full speed around the rink multiple times, weaving through falling toddlers. Apparently he had been better but never got his big break and is sore about it.

Ken is very tall, I might add. It is something to see him in person! He spent a lot of his time helping little kids, and also grown men, get up and off the ice, as they were bad skaters and fell pretty badly! That was a sight to see!

He eventually made a speech. Now, you should know that a lot of his voting base are Russian. So he said ''it's nice to see all the Canadians and Russians come out and bond through a common game - skating, and ice hockey! I would also like to add one thing -- will someone please remind me who won the Summit Series? I think I forget...'' Ha, what a card!

Then some Russian lady said ''wait, what's his name?'' upon realizing he was some celebrity. My father, who thought he might help her understand, asked 'Does Vladislav Tretiak mean anything to you?'' She asked if it was a brand of margarine.

Guess some people were actually there for politics...

Take two minutes to join the PickUpHockey Cyber Cup!
http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3820#51395

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  11:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once met Jean Beliveau at a card show signing here in Hamilton. After so many years of watching him play and seeing him sitting in front of me all dressed to the nines, made me as nervous as all hell. The Habs were having a bad season at the time so when I approached the table with my photo to be autographed I mentioned to him that the team could use him out on the ice at the moment. He looked me right in the eye and said "thankyou very much, you are very kind sir". It immediately struck me that the great Jean Beliveau had addressed me as sir. As he handed me back the photo after autographing it I replyed in kind, "And Thankyou sir, pleasure". I have cherished that moment ever since and have never got it out of my head that I had witnessed and been complemented by the guy that everyone said was a real class gentleman. It was a real defining moment in my life and I have shared the story countless occasions over the years. I eventually gave the photo to a Hab friend of mine as a 50th birthday present but on more than one occasion I have regreted it? The beauty of it is I still have my memories and the picture is in good hands hanging in his Hab room.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  11:15:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention that another real good guy to meet at an autograph signing is Pat Hentgen from the Bluejays. The problem with him though, he carries on a conversation with everyone at the signing table and the line-up takes forever. It is very rewarding when you finally get to meet him because he is a genuinely nice guy and treats everyone as an equal.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  12:44:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat Hengten is a very classy guy. Definitly one of the most down to earth guys in professional sports. It's definitly nice to meet someone like that. Another great former Jay that will actually talk to you is Jesse Barfield. First class man and first class player

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  13:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

I once met Jean Beliveau at a card show signing here in Hamilton. After so many years of watching him play and seeing him sitting in front of me all dressed to the nines, made me as nervous as all hell. The Habs were having a bad season at the time so when I approached the table with my photo to be autographed I mentioned to him that the team could use him out on the ice at the moment. He looked me right in the eye and said "thankyou very much, you are very kind sir". It immediately struck me that the great Jean Beliveau had addressed me as sir. As he handed me back the photo after autographing it I replyed in kind, "And Thankyou sir, pleasure". I have cherished that moment ever since and have never got it out of my head that I had witnessed and been complemented by the guy that everyone said was a real class gentleman. It was a real defining moment in my life and I have shared the story countless occasions over the years. I eventually gave the photo to a Hab friend of mine as a 50th birthday present but on more than one occasion I have regreted it? The beauty of it is I still have my memories and the picture is in good hands hanging in his Hab room.

That's an awesome story Antroman! And for you to pass that photo on to friend on their 50th birthday makes you a pretty classy guy too! nice job.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page