Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 1997-2007 - The MVP Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  08:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Excluding goalies, who has been the most valuable player to his team (s) the last ten years?

Everyone knows my answer. Of course it was Gretzky with the work he did in his last years in the nineties!!!!!! Come on, fly4apuckguy (and I think you are there), that was at least a little funny! The sense of humour thing is alive and well here in Toronto! But I really gotta go!

Choices:

Jagr
Sakic
Lidstrom
Forsberg
Joe Thornton
Scott Neidermyer
Chris Pronger
Others (I am sure there are some - I did this quickly)

Edited by - andyhack on 05/15/2007 08:18:35

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  09:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is tough. Through the 80's and early 90's it was easy to say Lemieux and Gretzky. The past 10 years?? Not so easy.

Sakic is near the top for sure. So is Lidstrom and Jagr. You could put a strong arguement for Forsberg as well, and Iginla has been pretty solid for a long time. Pronger, Neidermeyer. Fedorov for most of those years.No real player that is head and shoulders above the rest.

I would have to say Sakic is my vote. 1.16 PPG in since 97. Playoffs every year except this one. Hart Trophy in there, tons of All Stars, couple of Olympics. He's the man!

Jagr would be my #2, only because he has not had really any kind of playoff success in the past 10 years.
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  09:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forsberg no question.
2x Olympics
2x Stanley Cup
2x WC

Extreme talent without the whimpyness that often comes with it.

Edited by - I´m also Cånädiön on 05/15/2007 09:54:51
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  09:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hart Trophy winners:

Since the 1997 season there has only been one double winner, and that was Hasek...

Jagr won it in 1999, and was runner up 3 times...

I voted for Sakic he won it in 2001...

Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
Go to Top of Page

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  10:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sakic not because he's my favortie player but i think he's one of the best in the last years

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  10:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always hate to go with the flow, but Sakic is the guy for me too. It's incredible what he's done and for how long. They guy just never stops!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  12:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Sakic, but Jagr was a close second. Both have been valuble to their teams over the years, and are among the main reasons their teams got in the playoffs (or almost did) this year.
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  13:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went a different way and voted for Lidstrom. Not that Joe doesn't deserve it, but Lidstrom's been the anchor of that Red Wings team for years now. He's been the most consistent d-man year in, year out. Here's some of his credentials for 97-07

8 of 9 seasons with 50+ points
1 Olympic Gold Medal
2 Stanley Cup Rings
1 Conn Smythe Trophy
4 Norris Trophies and 8 nominations
All star each year held

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  14:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sackic was and still is one of the best
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  16:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that Lidstrom is a fine choice as well. He has dominated the position for the decade. Not too shabby.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  17:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Lidstrom, because he has been a crucial part of the wings' stanley cup campaigns, he is not the teams captain and is leading them on another great cup run. I'm sure any team would love to have him leading their defense.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  17:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think that Lidstrom is a fine choice as well. He has dominated the position for the decade. Not too shabby.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??

No, but choosing Jagr second does. For me his behavior and performance while in Washington put him out of the running completely.
Unless I thik of somebody not on the list later, I'd say Sakic and Lidstrom. Toss up.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

Edited by - willus3 on 05/15/2007 17:54:20
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  18:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think picking Jagr #2 is that far off. You know my tendancy to favor offensive players. Since 1996-97, Jagr has been in the top 10 in scoring 8 of 10 years and winning the Art Ross 4 consecutive times.
402 G - 588 A - 990 Pts in 750 games in the past 10 years. Pretty solid.
And even his time in Washington he had 201 points in 190 games.

Dunno, 4 Art Ross Trophies(98, 99, 00, 01), a Hart Trophy(99), Hart Finalist 4 other times(98, 00, 01, 06), Pearson Award 3 times(99, 00, 06). Team in the playoffs 7 out of 10 years.

How is that a poor second pick??

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  18:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, it occured to me that even though statiscally it wouldn't be evident, there is an outside argument for Steve Yzerman here. He was well past his prime, yes, but Detroit did win their Cups in this 10 year period. Also Scott Stevens maybe? That may be even a stronger argument. Any thoughts?

I voted Sakic who I think is somewhere in the top 5 in terms of greatest players I have ever seen (so I am not talking about Howe, etc). From all accounts he is also a great guy.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  18:48:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking Yzerman as well. Stevens, not so much in my books. I think there were not only better players in the league at that time, he wasn't even the top defenseman.

Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  21:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man i went with lidstrom just because he is amazing year in and year out the guys does so much for the wings. I'd love to say yzerman since he is THE captain of the wings forever in my books...but i'd say our new captain deserves all the respect in the world

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  17:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vote Jagr because he always finds a way to get into the playoffs with decent teams. Forsburg had Joe Lidstrom had detroit
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  20:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sakic. always a leader, a fierce competitor and just all around player who has always helped the team.
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  10:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would place Jagr 3rd in this list by virtue of the "what if" factor. What if he wasn't a sally? What if he gave 100% of himself to the game day in and day out? We'd be talking about one of the greats, and probably the undisputed MVP 1997-2007. His credentials are up there, but in my opinion Nick and Joe have done more for their teams. Jags will always have the "never able to lead his team to a cup" stigma hanging over his head.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  11:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lidstrom, for all the reasons Manninm already listed.
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  11:56:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SlowShot

I vote Jagr because he always finds a way to get into the playoffs with decent teams. Forsburg had Joe Lidstrom had detroit

I'd put it better and say that detroit HAD lidstrom...he's the last stand before the puck gets to the goalie...he keeps them hanging around if they are down lidstrom is an incredible dman

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  17:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's safe to say the actual MVP for the last 10 years is a goalie. This has been the goaltending era! I guess you'd either have to go with Marty or Hasek....Maybe Roy, he was huge in the early 2000's. But Hasek got a couple of hart trophies in that time. And marty has been solid. I guarentee the MVP for the next 10 years will be Luongo.

Sorry andyhack, I know you wanted to exclude goalies. However, now-a-days, the goalies are the clear-cut MVP's are goalies.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  04:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem, IHC. I think you're generally right about the goalie MVP thing actually - not always, but many years it is hard to argue against the goalie. Even forgetting the goalie point for a second, the Hart is generally a misunderstood award in my opinion. Anyway, the reason I took the goalies out was just cause I was interested in what people thought about the non-goalies. I am always afraid that if I include goalies in polls that they will become the overwhelming answer to the poll. Goalies are unique, so in a way, I think they should only be judged amongst themselves.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page