Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Should Souray be awarded an elite players contract Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  14:57:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Should Sheldon Souray be given a contract raise that would put him as highly paid as players like ryan smyth or alex tanguay?

Pasty

Choices:

yes
no

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  14:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would pay souray no more then 1.5 million to play 8 minutes a game and the powerplay thats it thats all!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  15:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's an interesting case. He did have great offensive numbers and his shot on the PP is awesome. However, he was dead last in the league in +/-. Montreal only had one defenseman with a positive +/- last year, so it's not like he had much help either.

Traditionally, defensemen don't get paid as high as forwards do unless they are super elite like Lidstrom or Neidermeyer.

I would say Souray will sign for between $3 million and $4 million per year on a three year contract.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  15:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but would you give him that contract beans?

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  16:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would because he's one of this years highest scoring defensemen, but he isn't that good defensively

Edited by - stastnysforever on 05/20/2007 13:58:10
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  16:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For sure I would. As I am an Oilers fan and we are in desparate need of a puck moving defenseman that can play in PP situations. I would give him that in a heartbeat.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  17:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd give him 4 million at most just because of how big is he is on a power play
Go to Top of Page

freddyboy
Rookie

Canada
218 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  17:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stastnysforever

and hes good defensively too

actually Sourray did a lot of mistakes (since ive watch 95% of the habs game) he does have a good shoot but defensively i thinks thers a little lack there

joe is a god, if u dont agree....i dont care

Edited by - freddyboy on 05/17/2007 17:32:14
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  20:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Souray also had 135 penalty minutes. Yeah hes good on the PP but not when he's in the box. Good shot yes, but he is a slow skater.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  13:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

Souray also had 135 penalty minutes. Yeah hes good on the PP but not when he's in the box. Good shot yes, but he is a slow skater.

But when you and komiserak are the only tough guys on the team you end to draw a few more penalties..... personally i love souray;s charactor,, hes a leader and the kind oif guy i want backing me up because hes always there for his team as a player however i couldn't despise the way he plays the game more,,,, slow footed constantly getting walked around are blown by along the boards, in my opinion (and keep in my i am a goalie) the defenceman's first priority is defense if he can put up huige points and still handle his own end then thats ok but i'll take a guy like mike komisarek any day before souray.... plus souray doens;t move the puck well he often gives it away at the line..... thats why the canadiens didn;t make the playoffs they suck defensivly the only reason they were in 4th and 3rd for so long was we had an allstar goalie,, take away our all star and everything went to hell

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  17:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also at that time there special teams were the top 3 in the league. That helps.
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  20:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I had a chance to sign for that I would. Simply because he can be the best PP QB in the NHL at times, and that can be a real asset to your team. He isn't bad defensively, but is among the best offensive d-men in the game.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  09:31:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he will never have an offensive producti0on like this years ever again!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  18:48:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Souray is just terrible in the defensive end. Offence yes he is one of the best but last time I checked the defenceman have to do one thing for sure and that is get the puck out of your own end, and that is something he does not do on a regular basic, -28 will show you. Like Pasty said sign him and play him for 10 minutes and have him on the PP. But if you get over 20 goals as a defenceman you're going to get paid quite a bit. If I was a GM he doesn't deserve 3.5 million or over if he doesn't play a complete game.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6743
( )

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  10:33:52  Reply with Quote
I said yes because he can score, he has some leadership ability, and he has a real mean streak. A team like Pittsburgh or Buffalo could use a guy with a mean streak who can score like him, and someone will pay to get it.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  10:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see some team getting suckered into a deal like McCabe got. This looks almost identical to last year. He will never again put up numbers like this year and will not live up to the hype or prestige that his new contract will bring.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  12:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he deserves it
Go to Top of Page

Habsfan92
Top Prospect

15 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  12:36:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched practically every Canadiens game last season, and with the exception of janne niiniimaa, Souray made the most mistakes on the blue line. Sure he had superb offensive numbers, but unless you only need him as a quarterback on the powerplay, your team is better off without him. Regardlessly, he provides great leadership and character.
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2007 :  13:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Souray does have great offensive numbers, but he's not so great defensively, I would give it to him, but it would be a tough decision

PS. this is my 100th post
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page