Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Best Scandinavian player Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  14:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who is The Best Scandinavian player ever

Choices:

Kurri
Selanne
Koivu
Kiprusoff
Naslund
Salming
Lidstrom
Others, please say who

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  14:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Kurri because he got the most goals out of any European ever, but I could have just as easily said Selanne fro his rookie season
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  14:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I idn't get to see Kurri play, I am going with Selanne with Lidstrom second

~~~Let's Go Ducks!!!~~~
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  14:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said Nik Lidstrom because he kinda like controls the game when he plays and What is like the First D-man to put up at least 80 points since Ray Bourque and Paul Coffey, and Teemu Selanne and Jarri Kurri close seconds

Edited by - 1 Crosby fan on 05/18/2007 17:08:11
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  16:55:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1CF, Coffey put up over 80 points 6 times in his career all after Orr, Ray Bourque did it 8 times, Denis Potvin did it 5 times, and im sure there were a few more.
As to answer the question, Kurri I think is the best of that group

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Get The Towels Out Guys PLAYOFFS!!!
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  17:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes srry i forgot about them i was in a hurry tho too, and I still stand by what i said

Good Playoffs Canucks Better luck next season now i cheer the WINGS AND DEVILS GO
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  17:14:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough choice between Selanne and Kurri. Kurri scored more goals than any European (though he did have Gretzky to help with some of that), but Selanne's also a natural goal-scorer and had a slamming rookie season, and has been on fire ever since. In the end I said Selanne, since we don't know how many goals Kurri would've gotten had Gretzky not been on his line.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2007 :  17:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Selanne, hes still got a couple years left in him he should be able to beat Kurri's amount of goals, without the help of Gretzky.
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  01:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Salming, suggestions for other guys to put up there would be Peter Forsberg and Tomas Holmström.

To me Forsberg will always be the god of hockey no matter what anyone says and the reason he´s been so injured is because the only way to stop him has been to take cheapshots on him. The guy had some provokative physical playing style for someone so gifted and he was a swede. By the last I´m saying that players like Crosby deserves a lot more hits than they get.

Edit: I might add that it´s a big chance I´m a bit biased as best scandinavian player pretty much is finns and swedes. (Even if the danes have some interesting young players on the go).

Edited by - I´m also Cånädiön on 05/19/2007 02:22:54
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  04:54:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said Selanne because he is such a good offence player. I really dont know about Kurri so I couldnt vote for him.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8023
( )

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  12:52:32  Reply with Quote
I never really saw Kurri play, but I've seen some of his numbers and my dad used to go to almost every oilers game so through him I know a lot of the oilers during the 80s
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  12:53:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8023

I never really saw Kurri play, but I've seen some of his numbers and my dad used to go to almost every oilers game so through him I know a lot of the oilers during the 80s

YA same here
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  13:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vote Salming. Nobody would be on this list without him. He was the first true inivator of hockey for europeans and first ever to be inducted into the hall of fame

Edited by - SlowShot on 05/19/2007 13:18:27
Go to Top of Page

Guest0011
( )

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  14:04:51  Reply with Quote
umm no one said sundin? not even an option! theres a reason he was the first EUROPEAN player let alone scandinavian...he's carried the leafs on his back so many times and is just amazing...523 goals 720 assists 1,243 points...and one heck of a leader, someone screwed up leaving him out of this...
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2007 :  15:48:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0011

umm no one said sundin? not even an option! theres a reason he was the first EUROPEAN player let alone scandinavian...he's carried the leafs on his back so many times and is just amazing...523 goals 720 assists 1,243 points...and one heck of a leader, someone screwed up leaving him out of this...

That's why I put other there.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0964
( )

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  16:46:54  Reply with Quote
if youre going to put naslund or koivu you might want to add sundin and forsberg, they may have done a thing or two throughout their careers
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  15:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said Selanne because Gretzky helped Kurri alot and Selanne doesn't have an all-star helping him.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  15:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stastnysforever

Who is The Best Scandinavian player ever

If you want a poll of Best Scandinavian player ever, you need to remove Kurri, Selanne, Koivu, and Kiprusoff since they are not Scandinavian!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finland is in Scandinavia...

Finnish isn't related to Swedish or Norwegian or Danish, but Finland is in Scandinavia.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for the best Scandinavian player, I'd say it has to be Forsberg or Lidstrom, with Nilsson a close second. Nilsson was easily the most talented Scandinavian player ever (IMO) but he didnt have the intangibles that the others had (grit, determination, heart, ...).
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2007 :  16:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

Finnish isn't related to Swedish or Norwegian or Danish, but Finland is in Scandinavia.

Sorry Mik, you are wrong about this one. Finland is a Nordic country but is *not* part of Scandinavia. I go to Finland twice a month since I work for a Finnish company and this fact is pretty clear. This is a very common mistake - 5 years ago, I thought Finland was Scandinavia!

Edited by - tctitans on 05/23/2007 16:40:20
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  09:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

quote:

Sorry Mik, you are wrong about this one. Finland is a Nordic country but is *not* part of Scandinavia. I go to Finland twice a month since I work for a Finnish company and this fact is pretty clear. This is a very common mistake - 5 years ago, I thought Finland was Scandinavia!

That´s correct Finland is not a part of Scandinavia but a nordic country. Swedes Norwegians and Danes understand eachother quite good. Finnish is not even a Germanic or Latin based language It´s more related to hungarian. Finland is a former swedish territory or colony so they speak both languages. Only finnish in some parts, only swedish in some and both in some areas. Norwegian and swedish are the two most similar languages (norway was also swedish not so long ago).
Icelandic has not changed that much (relative) under the last millenium and is the closest you can come to "Viking language".

Edit: OK offtopic but Mikhailova might find it interesting.

(Time differance Pickuphockey-Sweden approx +9 hours 1min 5sek......so I can always blame it on Jetlag.)

Edited by - I´m also Cånädiön on 05/24/2007 10:04:22
Go to Top of Page

GOWINGS19
Rookie

USA
232 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  10:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lidstrom, Selanne, and Homer my favorites

"I don’t need to score the goal. I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals." -Vladmir Konstantinov
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  13:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks I'm also Cånädiön, but I did know that about the languages (yeah I'm kind of a nerd, lol). Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian, and Mongolian are related. Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Dutch, and Icelandic are a different group.

So anyway, if we get technical, I'd say the best Scandinavian player would be Lidstrom, and I'd say the best Nordic player would be Selanne.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 05/24/2007 13:03:35
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2007 :  16:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I´m also Cånädiön

quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

quote:

That´s correct Finland is not a part of Scandinavia but a nordic country. Swedes Norwegians and Danes understand eachother quite good. Finnish is not even a Germanic or Latin based language It´s more related to hungarian. Finland is a former swedish territory or colony so they speak both languages. Only finnish in some parts, only swedish in some and both in some areas. Norwegian and swedish are the two most similar languages (norway was also swedish not so long ago).
Icelandic has not changed that much (relative) under the last millenium and is the closest you can come to "Viking language".

Edit: OK offtopic but Mikhailova might find it interesting.

(Time differance Pickuphockey-Sweden approx +9 hours 1min 5sek......so I can always blame it on Jetlag.)

O I didn't know that

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  11:44:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hakan Loob
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  11:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do the Stastny s have in common?
They cant win a cup!
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  16:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Borje Salming....ground breaking pioneer. Every kid growing up in the 70's playing defence, and not a Habs fan, was either Borje or Bobby in the outdoor shinny games....

Edited by - fat_elvis_rocked on 07/05/2008 16:39:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page