Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Nashville
 Anyone Have $220 Million? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  11:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Balsillie is at it again. This time he wants to buy the Nashville Predators for US$220 million. The NHL still has to approve the deal. Tell me how a team as good and exciting as Nashville can not put more than 15,000 fans in the seats per game. That has got to show you how unloved hockey is in some states...

http://www.pickuphockey.com/hockeynews.aspx?article=7007440469

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  12:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, being that Balsillie is a Canadian and that Nashville has poor attendance, perhaps he'll try to move the team to Canada? Hamilton maybe. He's from southwestern Ontario.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

Edited by - willus3 on 05/25/2007 12:11:38
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  13:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That'd be a good idea Willus. Nashville's about as far away from a hockey town as you can get, they need to be moved. If Hamilton can support a team, go for it!
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  16:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that he can move to Hamilton because the Leafs need to give permission because its in a certain distance. Im hearing Kitchner, Waterloo or Kansas City.

When life gives you lemons throw them at the Ottawa Senators and their fans and hope it gets them in the eyes ;)
Go to Top of Page

powerlord13
Top Prospect

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2007 :  18:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, first off, Balsillie only bought this team, or would buy any team so that he could move it. Come June 19 he'll go for the exit clause and try to leave Nashville. Then, if they can't make more than 15 000 attendance next year, they'll be able to leave.

This is the point where Balsillie has to make a decision, to either bring the team to Hamilton, Kitchner-Waterloo (he'd have to build an arena), Winnipeg (bigger arena would be necessary) or Kansas City (where he would get free rent).

Hamilton would seem like the best option, but it falls right under the Leafs territory area, and I was reading up on this, and it would cost tens of millions of dollars to pay the Leafs in order to actually move into the area (as what happened with NJD and ANA).

If the team does move there, I'd be ecstatic, then I wouldn't have give an arm and a leg to see a Leafs game anymore.

"Death solves all problems; no man, no problem"
Go to Top of Page

hithere311
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  10:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh come on. Its always like this. As soon as a Canadian buys a hockey team, everyone thinks he wants to move it. The team is going to stay in Nashville. 15,000 seats is enough, and considering the price of tickets, I think the team will do just fine there.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  11:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The former owner himself said that they are a money losing enterprise in Nashville. Balsillie will file the paper work for the exit from Nashville. If they fans step up, they will stay, if not they will leave.

There is a lot of talk about moving them to southern Ontario. Too close to TO and they will have to pay the Leafs and the Sabres. I have heard of Kitchener/Waterloo if there was a new stadium.

Winnipeg, keep dreaming. I don't care what the government says about bringing an NHL team back. COROPORATE DOLLARS. Not enough in Winnipeg. I think the NHL knows it as well. Winnipeg wouldn't last 10 years, so why bring them in at all.

One thing about this is that I think it drives the value of most NHL teams up. If Nashville is worth $220 million, what's a team in a stable market with a proven fan base and corporate backing worth?? There was a recent offer on the Oilers for $145 million by Daryl Katz. Another Canadian Billionaire who is in Pharmacuticals. He is only $140 million behind Basillie in wealth. This offer was before the offer for Nashville and the Oilers ownership group turned it down. The Oilers have a loyal fan base, strong corporate backing, and a storied history. If Nashville is worth $220, the Oilers have to be worth more than $145.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  15:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet if he moves it it's going to kitchener or hamilton. Hamilton is a bit to close to toronto but im sure there's the normal people who cant' afford leaf tickets to goto there. Anyways Nashville doen't even get 15,000 most of the time alst game i watched of there's in the regular season there was 12,000. If that was a NFL game it would have been 60,000

GO DUCKS. YAY GIANTS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page