Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Mrs. Pronger and Mrs. Nylander Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  14:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard that the Oilers' signing of Michael Nylander was vetoed by his wife. Could she, and Mrs. Pronger be worried about all of the attractive women that hail from Oil Country? Is there a Mrs. Vanek that gave the Sabres' brass a tonguelashing after the Oilers' offer? Maybe before KLo tries to sign another star player he should implement a screening process to ensure the guy isn't p****whipped!

Guest1603
( )

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  14:45:39  Reply with Quote
HaHaHa!
Mrs Nylander thougt moving to Edmonton would be like moving to Siberia but to me it seems as Edmonton is more southern than Sweden. It can´t be that cold can it?
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  15:01:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's no worse than Montreal or T.O
Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  17:40:21  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

Maybe before KLo tries to sign another star player he should implement a screening process to ensure the guy isn't p****whipped!

Funniest thing I've heard all day!!!! Nice one!!!!
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  04:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1603

HaHaHa!
Mrs Nylander thougt moving to Edmonton would be like moving to Siberia but to me it seems as Edmonton is more southern than Sweden. It can´t be that cold can it?

Me
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  11:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correct me if im wrong but I think it is like the sixth highest elavation for a city right beside calgary. According to my math book

Pickup hockey pool
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  16:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does the elevation in Edmonton have to do with anything??

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  17:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SlowShot

Correct me if im wrong but I think it is like the sixth highest elavation for a city right beside calgary. According to my math book

Pickup hockey pool

Yeah, what does that have to do with climate, Calgary, math, or the number six?
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  19:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edmonton elevation 2,373 ft...
Calgary elevation 3,736 ft...

The air is thinner...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  17:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's it! It's the elevation! It boggles my mind everso facetiously why anyone would play at that particular inconveniently located area of moderate altitude. C'mon.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8836
( )

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  15:29:11  Reply with Quote
I, for one, am amazed at just how many players dont want anything to do with Edmonton simply because of its location. Its no Miami true, but many players are Canadian or European and are used to winter. And on that note, Edmonton is no Miami, but certainly no North Pole either.

However, climate aside, if you play hockey in Phoenix nobody knows who you are. If your an Edmonton Oiler, your face is on billboards and your praised in the streets like a god. You would think that there would be a couple cocky players out there that would be attacted to this kind of attention in a city that loves only one thing.

So what gives? When did Edmonton get such a bad rep? Does the water taste funny? Are they scared of the big bad shopping mall?
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  19:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8836

I, for one, am amazed at just how many players dont want anything to do with Edmonton simply because of its location. Its no Miami true, but many players are Canadian or European and are used to winter. And on that note, Edmonton is no Miami, but certainly no North Pole either.

However, climate aside, if you play hockey in Phoenix nobody knows who you are. If your an Edmonton Oiler, your face is on billboards and your praised in the streets like a god. You would think that there would be a couple cocky players out there that would be attacted to this kind of attention in a city that loves only one thing.

So what gives? When did Edmonton get such a bad rep? Does the water taste funny? Are they scared of the big bad shopping mall?

The water is way better than it is in Ontario. I just hope that Pronger didn't start a trend that players will think twice about playing in Edmonton. There is no rational justificaton for that.
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  20:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1603

HaHaHa!

Did you mean that Siberia was in Sweden, or just Sweden was more southern than Siberia, and Edmonton is even more Southern

avs are gonna win the cup this year
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  01:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I meant that Mrs Nylander by being swedish should be used to have cold winters now and then.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  09:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are actually a report about this on the news in Edmonton last night. Some of the highlights were that Kevin Lowe and the Oilers put out a DVD about the team and the city as well as a manual on how to come here(ie, immigration, real estate, schools, blah blah). They said many players don't come here because they either don't know alot about Edmonton, just don't like Edmonton, or that they are turned off by the Pronger thing and other who left here (Spacek/Samsanov) for no apparant reason. Nothing against the team, it's the City and the situations of the past few years.

Here's what I think:

1) Yes, the weather in Edmonton sucks in the winter. Lots of snow and cold.

2) The real estate market in Edmonton is foolish. It is #2 behind Calgary for the fast growing places in North America. Home Values have litterally doubled in the past two years and the vacancy rate is less than 1%. So getting a house or a reasonable condo/apartment is a royal pain in the a$$..

3) And most importantly, players are getting to not like the spotlight that Edmonton casts. We are rabid hockey fans and our players are so highly regarded it impeeds their personal lives. A player in Edmonton can not drop his kids off at school or go to the store without being mobbed. And our media, in my opinion, is the 2nd worst in Canada behind Montreal for being hard on players. As much as us fans think it would be great to have tons of adoring fans, it would wear on a guy pretty quickly. Think of a Vinny Lecavalier-in Edmonton he would be a God, unable to leave his house. In Tampa, he's just another young, athletic guy in a city who lives and breathes Football.

So, in the end, players with two comparable offers from Edmonton and another team, players would more than likely choose another team.

Edmonton is a beautiful city and I love it. Most people who live in Edmonton love it too. However, I would be lying if I said if I wouldn't take an offer for the same job, the same money, in a warmer climate, with less of a spotlight.

The real question is how to fix it. That is something I can't think of an answer to.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

Guest8836
( )

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  15:06:54  Reply with Quote
I agree with you beans, but the weather thing is kind of a joke. Winter is winter and it sucks no matter where you are. People that live in LA don't go to the beach in Feburary. At least in Edmonton theres some winter atractions such as skiing and mountains in your backyard.

Also, the players travel. They spend most of the year on the road or in the gym and i can think of a couple million rea$ons why the wives should put up with it, or take thier husbands pay check and peace out to Tahiti for a month.

Now, of course there are things to consider; family is a sticky buisness. The kids could be in school, a baby could be on the way, theres many sensible reasons why a player may not want to move. Or move far.

But, what im saying, is Mr. Nylander could have taken the 2.5 mil more he would have made in Edmonton and bought himself a nice summer home in Mexico.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  15:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather thing to me is a bad reason too. Although the people is LA are not going to the beach in February, they are also not shoveling snow and putting on 27 layers of clothing to stay warm.

Travel might be part of it too. But Calgary's travel is just as bad, and Vancouver is actually the worst in the NHL. They don't seem to have a problem with getting UFA's.

At the end of the day, I am ignorant of the life of an NHL player. Really, their careers last 10-15 years on average for the elite players. Part of the sacrifice of the sport is playing where you need to. What I suggest is a similar system as Soccer. Rather than give the players the choice to go where ever they want, have a transfer system. So when a player's contract runs out, the team still owns the contract. If they don't want to re-sign them or pay them more, they can sell that contract to another team. This way, the teams have more of a decision on where players play, not all the players choice.

Just an idea, I know it will get beat to crap in this forum.

Go to Top of Page

bonfire420
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2007 :  16:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

At the end of the day, I am ignorant of the life of an NHL player. Really, their careers last 10-15 years on average for the elite players. Part of the sacrifice of the sport is playing where you need to. What I suggest is a similar system as Soccer. Rather than give the players the choice to go where ever they want, have a transfer system. So when a player's contract runs out, the team still owns the contract. If they don't want to re-sign them or pay them more, they can sell that contract to another team. This way, the teams have more of a decision on where players play, not all the players choice.

Just an idea, I know it will get beat to crap in this forum.

So let me get this straight, you basically want the players to not have a say in where they play? Say whaaaaaaa? Where do I start with this one, let see....
LOL - I'm just pulling your leg cuz you said the idea will get beaten up. It's a bold proposition but I don't think they'll go for it.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  16:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a great idea, Beans, but you know it could never happen. Transfers throughout Europe are a lot more appealing than transfers throughout North America. I just thought that some players, for whatever reason, (nationalism, family, ties to the community, or just the desire to play in a community that loves hockey) would be willing to hire someone to shovel their sidewalk while they're on the road. This may be an antiquated way of thinking, but can the Oilers survive this new trend, with the false reputation they have assumed?
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  18:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read that part of the reason may be the extra couple of hours it takes to fly to Europe. Doesn't make a lot of sense, though.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  19:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

What I suggest is a similar system as Soccer. Rather than give the players the choice to go where ever they want, have a transfer system. So when a player's contract runs out, the team still owns the contract. If they don't want to re-sign them or pay them more, they can sell that contract to another team. This way, the teams have more of a decision on where players play, not all the players choice.

With the Soccer system it looks like no players would be moving from Anaheim to Edmonton with the current GM's.

- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  19:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

I just read that part of the reason may be the extra couple of hours it takes to fly to Europe. Doesn't make a lot of sense, though.

The two hours effects about 30% of the players, what about the other 70% that are from Canada, and the USA?

- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  14:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't seem to be a problem for other teams that are even further West than Edmoonton, either.
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  10:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the flight delay is not caused so much by location as by the size of Edmonton International Airport... which really doesn't fly direct to very many places, which causes layovers, hence the longer travel times.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  11:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps global warming will solve Edmonton's weather issue...

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  15:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Perhaps global warming will solve Edmonton's weather issue...

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

It's not a city for sissies, that's for sure!
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  18:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fur coats, and long undies only...

- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  19:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by PuckNuts

Fur coats, and long undies only...

- - Marshall McLuhan

And cup rings on each finger of one hand (thumb included).

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  21:11:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pronger's wife didn't have a problem with the city being too cold, she had a problem with a reporter being too hot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page