Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Don't count Dion out Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  09:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With Crosby and Ovechkin getting all of the press, Dion Phaneuf is quietly having an amazing rookie season. He is on pace for 40 points and is getting well over 20 minutes of ice time each game. He could challenge for the calder and just might be one of Canada's top 8 D-men.

dallasj
Top Prospect

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  10:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phaneuf has done a great job adapting to the NHL and the "new" NHL. He is able to be physically intimidating in his own zone with out taking many penalties. Plus, he is not only scoring a little, but he is scoring at key times, coming up with a few game winners. Definatly should get some consideration of the Olympic team.
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  09:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great choice he would be for Canada's seventh defenseman in Turin. I just hate the fact that one of Canada's up and coming stars plays for the stinkin Flames.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2005 :  23:49:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Harper

What a great choice he would be for Canada's seventh defenseman in Turin. I just hate the fact that one of Canada's up and coming stars plays for the stinkin Flames.

Ok, I know you're tryin' to get me going now!! Don't knock Calgary. The Flames have several Olympic stars: IGINLA, Kipper, Amonte, Hamrlik, Huselius and Regehr are just a few of them. But Phaneuf isn't one yet. He'll be ready in 2010. There are just too many solid vets to choose from. Mind you he'd probably be a better choice than Jovonovski!
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  08:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it would make sense to bring along a vet to the Olympics as the 7th Defenseman. What if the other 6 stay healthy - he may not get in a game. Phaneuf would be a perfect choice as he could deal with sitting in the press box and taking in the experience.

I totally agree with Jovanovski. He is probably the most overrated defenseman in the league. Most Canuck fans don't even consider him our best D-man.

PS - Flames suck
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  10:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Continuing the off-topic topic (he he)

The Flames have 5 players: Iginla, Amonte, Regehr, Phaneuf and Kiprusoff. Aside from that they're extremely boring to watch. Well you guys don't know me so this might sound like a bandwagon move, but I've been a Sharks fan for a few years now and wow they're doing swell now, this team makes for a sweet game of hockey to watch.

Phaneuf is great, can't wait to see him play in Vancouver 2010.
Go to Top of Page

dallasj
Top Prospect

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  12:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Continuing the off-topic topic (he he)

The Flames have 5 players: Iginla, Amonte, Regehr, Phaneuf and Kiprusoff. Aside from that they're extremely boring to watch. Well you guys don't know me so this might sound like a bandwagon move, but I've been a Sharks fan for a few years now and wow they're doing swell now, this team makes for a sweet game of hockey to watch.

Phaneuf is great, can't wait to see him play in Vancouver 2010.

Maybe you should stay up a little later on the east coast and try to watch some of the Flames games. Nobody in the league hits more and plays the game at the pace they do. Their forecheck creates so many turnovers that lead to scoring chances that they are hardly boring.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2005 :  22:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Stefan,

I gotta agree with DallasJ. The Flames are a pretty exciting team to watch. Their forechecking is the toughest in the league and that tied with Iginla's scoring and kipper's goaltending fbrought them to the finals last NHL playoffs (and some timely goals by Gelinas). They have the same intesity they did then. Sutter would have nothing less.
Go to Top of Page

Donald Beckett
Top Prospect

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  09:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No bablaboushka is right, the Flames are boring to watch.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  10:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(See new thread).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To: