Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 The "What if" thread. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  20:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stole this Idea because I liked it so much. Here's how it works. post some What if scenarios. People can respond to them if they wish but don't have to of course. I think it will be interesting to see some of the What Ifs that come up.
For example:
What if Steve Smith doesn't put the puck in his own net? Do the Oilers go on to win the Cup that year?

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  20:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Pelle Lindberg hadn't died? Could've changed the initial Lindros trade involving Hextall. As for your hypo, we wouldn't have won the cup that year anyway. That was, however, an incredible learning experience for the rookie, Smith. Hardly ever f'ed up again,did he?

Edited by - OILINONTARIO on 08/05/2007 20:20:53
Go to Top of Page

Guest9948
( )

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  20:15:32  Reply with Quote
Yes, the Oilers would have beaten the Montreal Canadiens that year. They would have won 5 straight cups... And while we're at it, if Gretzky hadn't have been traded, they would have won in 89 as well. 90 is a given, since they won that year anyway. They would have easily won 7 straight cups if these "what ifs" has occured. I'm sure they would have continued on from there as well. But hockey would have not evolved as we know it.

How do you think hockey would be different today under the above scenarios?
Go to Top of Page

Guest5456
( )

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  20:18:15  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I stole this Idea because I liked it so much. Here's how it works. post some What if scenarios. People can respond to them if they wish but don't have to of course. I think it will be interesting to see some of the What Ifs that come up.
For example:
What if Steve Smith doesn't put the puck in his own net? Do the Oilers go on to win the Cup that year?

What if Gretzky was a defencemen?
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  20:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

What if Pelle Lindberg hadn't died? Could've changed the initial Lindros trade involving Hextall.

This ties in nicely with the guest response about Edmonton. I think Philly may have been able to take 86 and 87 Cups with Pelle. It's a definite possibility.

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  20:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He would have been switched to center in very short order. Gretzky, that is, not Lindberg.

Edited by - OILINONTARIO on 08/05/2007 20:28:30
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  20:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Gretz had signed with Winnipeg instead of Edmonton (it almost happened)?
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  21:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Lindros doesn't sustain any concussions...

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  21:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if the Nords had moved to Denver one year earlier? Isn't Lindros just Mr. Hypothetical Guy?

Edited by - OILINONTARIO on 08/05/2007 21:15:29
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  21:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Boston doesn't get that too many men on the ice penalty in the series against Montreal? Oh boy...

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  21:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further on a previous post. What if Mark Howe doesn't get injured by a goal post and Pelle Lindbergh doesn't die? Does Philly take away a few of Edmonton's cups?

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  21:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What if Boston doesn't get that too many men on the ice penalty in the series against Montreal? Oh boy...

Once again, much ado about nothing. The better team won. The Flower would have wired that shot from anywhere, anyway, anyhow. I love that clip. What a shot!
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  21:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Michel Briere hadn't died so prematurely...
What would we have seen from him?

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  21:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if the Canadiens had drafted Denis Savard like everyone expected them to...

Go to Top of Page

Guest9980
( )

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  22:05:09  Reply with Quote
What if the Oilers drafted Shane Doan (like everyone expected them to)?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9980
( )

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  22:07:46  Reply with Quote
quote:

Never heard of him. Please tell more.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  00:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Bobby Orr was a Center,,,(wow)

http://i15.tinypic.com/4hvjlmh
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  03:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

quote:

Once again, much ado about nothing. The better team won. The Flower would have wired that shot from anywhere, anyway, anyhow. I love that clip. What a shot!

I agree with you that there is good reason to believe that Guy would have scored anyway, but I'd argue that his chances of scoring went up by a significant percentage as a result of the penalty, so maybe it remains much ado about "something". Perhaps a just as if not more interesting question would be what if Donnie Marcotte's great chance in overtime, on which he started to put his arms up, would have been a centimetre or two to the right? Well, that's an easy "what if" I guess. As OILINONTARIO correctly points out, the better team would have lost, BUT, the team with maybe as big a heart (that's haaaaat in New England) as a team ever had would have won. And that would have been a better lesson for the kids, in this Bruin fan's humble and BITTER opinion!

Switching to another Bruin what if (we have A LOT of these!), one that I often wonder about is what if the Ulf-Cam thing hadn't happened. Though I do think about it in terms of Cam's overall career, I realize that the way he played the game made the chances of some injury coming along greater than many other players. So what I specifically wonder about a lot more than his career is what his production would have ended up being in that year's playoffs. Cam had, I believe, 16 goals at the time (think it was the third game of the semifinals with the Bs leading Two Games to None). Am I the only one who thinks Ulf may very well have cut down the first 20 goal playoff season in the history of hockey that night?

Edited by - andyhack on 08/06/2007 04:02:57
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  07:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9980

quote:

Never heard of him. Please tell more.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=12100

Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  07:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Switching to another Bruin what if (we have A LOT of these!), one that I often wonder about is what if the Ulf-Cam thing hadn't happened. Though I do think about it in terms of Cam's overall career, I realize that the way he played the game made the chances of some injury coming along greater than many other players. So what I specifically wonder about a lot more than his career is what his production would have ended up being in that year's playoffs. Cam had, I believe, 16 goals at the time (think it was the third game of the semifinals with the Bs leading Two Games to None). Am I the only one who thinks Ulf may very well have cut down the first 20 goal playoff season in the history of hockey that night?

It's very possible. For me Cam is one of the 3 greatest What Ifs in Hockey.

Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  10:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Harrold Ballard and Stafford Smythe never purchased the Leafs? Or what if Cliff fletcher hadn't saved the Leafs?

Fan of Leafs Nation
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  14:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if the Penguins drafted Ovechkin and the Caps drafted Crosby

http://i15.tinypic.com/4hvjlmh
Go to Top of Page

Guest8836
( )

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  14:54:21  Reply with Quote
Didn't PIttsburgh land Crosby as the #1 pick by winning a lottery involving all 30 teams in the draft year after the lockout?

If so, then all 30 teams had a chance at Crosby. What if a juggernaut team like Detroit won that lottery? Or a stacked Ottawa?
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  15:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8836

Didn't PIttsburgh land Crosby as the #1 pick by winning a lottery involving all 30 teams in the draft year after the lockout?

If so, then all 30 teams had a chance at Crosby. What if a juggernaut team like Detroit won that lottery? Or a stacked Ottawa?

The draft lottery is weighted so that the poorer teams from the previous year have a better chance of landing the #1 pick. This was instated so that no team could intentionally blow games near the end of the season to ensure themselves the top pick. Teams like Ottawa and Detroit had zero chance of landing #1 owing to their success in the regular season.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  18:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if water froze from the bottom to the top...Would we still have hockey?

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  19:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

What if water froze from the bottom to the top...Would we still have hockey?

Yeah, just on a watery rink. Or we could just go with roller hockey

What if Gary Bettman was fired? What if the Sabres won the Cup next year? What if Minnesota won the NCAA national championship? The answer: Mik =
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  22:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Betman wasn't circumsized?

Pickup hockey pool
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  15:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummmmmmmmmm, yeah. I guess he'd be Jewish. Or just circumcized. What if Leafs' fans maintained their team loyalty past the age of 16?
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  16:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if oilers fans didn't jump the flames bandwagon when calgary went to the cup. :)

Pickup hockey pool
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  16:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jump on the Bandwagon?? No real Oiler Fans did that. The phony fans did with their stupid car flags and everything else. But not a single true Oiler Fan I know jumped on the Bandwagon.

And how would you know?? Are you not in BC??

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  16:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard of that happening, to be quite honest. Living in Ontario, I've seen a lot of people who have previously hated eveything to do with the fair province of Alberta turning their coats in favour of both of Alta's teams' respective playoff runs. Just keep hating the Senators. That's way easier than supporting the Leafs. Maybe next year, right?
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  16:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Bill Torrey hadn't pulled off the deadline trade for Butch Goring in 1980, which many credit as a key move in pushing the Isles over the hump that they were stalled at in the late '70s. There can be little doubt that having a strong second centreman like Goring benefitted Trottier in a big way.

Or were the Isles too good for anyone in the post-Habs dynasty early '80s anyway?

Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  17:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the risk of opening a can of worms. (and no disrespect to the dead)

What if Bill Barilko hadn't dissappeared?
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  19:00:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spade632
What if Bill Barilko hadn't dissappeared?

Better yet...what if he had never been discovered??

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  19:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Walter Gretzky had been with him on that infamous fishing trip?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  19:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Brett Hull didn't score the stanley cup winning overtime goal against the Sabres?

No Sacrifice , No Victory!
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  11:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

What if Brett Hull didn't score the stanley cup winning overtime goal against the Sabres?

No Sacrifice , No Victory!

Shouldn't the question be "What if the officials had made the proper call and disallowed Hull's goal?" - His toe WAS in the crease after all.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4_URO6cwLbM - the goal in question

Edited by - spade632 on 09/11/2007 11:25:09
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  20:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What if Bure scored on the penalty shot? Does Vancouver win a cup and does Messier's legend become not so ...uhhhhhh.....legendary?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulUFtK2xLnY&mode=related&search=

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  20:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you would have asked me in 1984, after the Oilers won their first Cup, and ten years before Messier led the Rangers to their Cup, to name some of the best hockey players in the world, Messier would have, without a doubt, been on my list. He would have been on it with even greater emphasis after his banner (and MVP) year in 1990, again leading the Oilers to the Cup.

The Ranger thing was undeniably HUGE for his legacy, and kind of mystical with him coming through bigtime to keep his "guarantee" in Game 6 of the semis against the Devils, BUT even without it, he still SHOULD have gone done as a LEGEND (though it is possible that he WOULDN'T have, perhaps not quite as much anyway).

Edited by - andyhack on 10/14/2007 20:20:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page