Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Who (not) to watch Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2005 :  11:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, due to popular reply, here it is:

Let's set something straight, I'd rather watch a Jersey game. A Flames game is the ultimate cure for the insomniac. Let's back that up with stats:

Calgary has:
-23rd ranked powerplay
-17th ranked penalty kill (although this is good cause other teams get goals out of it)
-Calgary has more goals than only TWO TEAMS (St.L + CLB), and only has a better goals-for per game than ONE TEAM, COLUMBUS!

Oh my, they're so sweet to watch (rolls eyes 360 degrees). The skill level on this team is so polarized its incomparable. I'm not taking anything away from the fact they are a good team, because they are no question. But they are boring as hell to watch. Yes I have stayed up to watch Flames games sometimes into the early morning hours (games end about 2AM here) but I can take it no more (unless I like the team they're playing).

Get real guys, enough with the hometown bandwagon jumping. They are boring beyond comaparison to watch, and for heaven's sake the game they played not too long ago against New Jersey was for the eyes as the Atlanta Hawks-Toronto Raptors game was on paper, one for the record books. I slept well that night

George Zoran
Top Prospect

Canada
55 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  09:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear what you are saying but I don't think I would want to face the Flames in the playoffs. Their style is exactly what wins close games, boring or not.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  11:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not arguing the fact they aren't good or aren't playoff worthy, I'm just saying they're one of the most boring teams to watch.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  15:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When was the last time you saw a SUPERSTAR fight? Iginla gets in a more than a few a year. There are more hits in a Calgary game than in most others. The goaltending is second to none with some absolutely SPECTACULAR saves AND they have one of the most exciting rookies in the league. What's not to love? They forecheck harder and faster than any other team! You just can't beat the hockey. As for your stats, c'mon, you know that fractions of a point separate the top and the bottom.

Aren't you late for a curling bonspiel or something???
Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  17:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're the man babs.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  20:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything you (leigh) just mentioned (to the exception of Iginla fighting) happens in every single game in the NHL. To put the stat differential into perspective:

-Ottawa who is number 1 in goals-for per game, has almost TWICE AS MANY goals-for per game as Calgary, who has just over 2
-Detroit who is number 1 on the PP has 10% better PP than Calgary and almost twice as many goals on the PP
-Calgary has let in almost twice as many PP goals against than leader Minnesota

So basically we've established, by process of cancellation, that the only reason to watch a Flames game is to watch Iginla fight. Sorry man, but I'd rather watch Chara annihilate someone on Sportsnet East.

As per the curling comment, well I don't really understand. Were you trying to use an Eastern stereotype to your advantage? Well curling happens to be more of a Western-Canadian dominated sport (where you live). Nedohin-Ferbey anyone? You could have at least told me to go fishing or something. Oh wait, in Vancouver you do that too!

Come watch my house league game on Sunday, you'll be amazed at the quality of hockey. We even forecheck too!

Go fix a chairlift, Olympic skiing will soon be there!

Next!... :)
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  00:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I did have a fishing comment written first but I thought it was a little mean. :-)

Of course everyone loves Detroit and Ottawa. They're easy band wagons to jump on to and I can't blame you for doing so. But while you're at it why don't you grab a fiddle and jump onto the Carolina wagon too...if there is room...or the Rangers, it's your pick.

It's nice that you've visited NHL.com and recycled some stats but stats aren't everything. The Flames team is incredibly talented but has had a moderately slow start. A few guys aren't firing yet but it will happen. Take Tony Amonte for instance 850 career points but he's having a hard time finding the back of the net right now. Yes, it's a team coming together but to label them as "boring to watch" is an asinine overstatement. Goals aren't everything, at least not to a true hockey fan, but then again you probably like the shoot out too.

I'll tell you something that I am getting bored of though, this conversation. So on that note, I'll end it right now. Since you're all about the stats I'll give you a couple...

Calgary 2 - Ottawa 1 (Dec 10, 2005)
Calgary 3 - Detroit 2 (Dec 1, 2005)
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  08:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey I like these kinds of debates, just as long as it doesn't end with a "Oh you hurt my feelings, you have to put an end to it!" (which I'm sure will not occur) comment. For closing sake, because it seems we've milked this for what it's worth, a few more things:

I am not a Detroit or Ottawa fan (other than cheering for guys in my pool). I have BEEN a Detroit fan before, I think I was 6. My teams are Toronto (sentimental sake) and San Jose. I've liked San Jose for probably near 2-3 years now, so it most certainly isn't a Joe Thornton bandwagon-jumping affair. I simply used those teams, as you said, for stats from nhl.com :)

Let me tell ya, I am a true hockey fan. Goals mean lots in the excitement of a game, along with hits, (some) fights, great saves and it goes on. I think the shootout is great for promotional purposes, it is a gimmick and I'm sure will not be part of the NHL within the next few years. If it weren't for the shootout, Marek Malik wouldn't be known (to most people) and I go in rinks only to see kids trying this move over and over!

Those game scores, congrats for the Flames. Detroit did beat them in October but hey, if they want to win an "exciting" game 3-2 as opposed to 7-6 (Wings-Thrashers), fine with me.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  10:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now we agree on something. This debate has run it's course.

Seriously though, you're right. I was slagging you about the hockey fan thing and that was clearly offside. Any chance I get to bash the shoot out, I take it. Anyone visiting this site is likely a very big fan of the game....even if they think Calgary is boring. :-)

What do we talk about next? How about the fact the conferences never play each other...that really sucks.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  11:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We definitely agree on this one. I think there are 2 out of Conference road trips (correct me if I'm wrong) along the course of the season which account for what, about 15 games? The whole inter-division rivalry skidaddle where they have to play each other 8 times each I think is a little over the top. There are great rivalries in this league but I don't think they have to be exploited for fan pleasure. One of the biggest rules in economics is utility maximization, where you can maximize something's utility (to produce satisfaction), but if consumed anymore, the satisfaction will start to drop. I think long term this will start to happen. I'd like to see more East-West battles, but it costs a lot of money for the league and maybe it will be considered as the leagues revenues increase.
Go to Top of Page

nazzy_19
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2005 :  21:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
babs has a good point, as the whole reason there are fewer east/west battles throughout the season is to cut down on travel expenses incurred by the teams. playing each team in a one's respective division 8 times to "create rivalries" is just fluff to cover up the fact they're trying to penny-pinch and increase revenue. if anything it's backfired, because if i see minnesota one more time this year - even colorado for that matter - i'm going to crap on bettman's head. the only way that could get exciting is in the last 10 games of the season, and colorado/vancouver are in a dead heat for the northwest... same goes for every division.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2005 :  09:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone hear Bobby Clarke last night. He said that the Flyers fans don't care about Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and would rather see the Devils and Rangers more often. Ok, sorry about the US bashing in advance but American fans don't know squat. They couldn't even find Edmonton on a map and should not be dictating what is right for the game. Real fans understand the importance of showcasing ALL of the games stars in ALL markets. Clarke is a chump.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  22:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya that sure was a boring game tonight Babs! (sarcasm) :-)

Calgary 6 at Vancouver 5.
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  23:20:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about tonight? I see the Flames beat the Canucks again 2 - 1. Doesn't that tie them up for 1st in the NorthWest?
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  10:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for the Canucks to make a deal. Maybe Morrison and a prospect for a goalie??????

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page