Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Vancouver
 Nonis the great gm Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  22:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I am starting to get annoyed of all the people who say dave nonis is a elite gm who did a amazing deal for luongo. Well folks he kinda had to and if you ask me it should have been done a couple years before. Think of it obviously he had to trade bertuzzi he couldn't handle van after the moore incident and luongo wanted what Flordia couldn't offer. Lets all now look at Nonis and all the great moves he's made this summer. Hmmm nothing worth talking about. So now the question is do you think that dave Nonis is a elite gm? Yes he is or no he isn't?

Pickup hockey pool

Choices:

Yes
No

Guest4024
( )

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  22:53:30  Reply with Quote
well what the hell can he do right now? what with the cap and everything.... lets face it he really cant do anything big until nazzy and morissons contracts expire. He is an elite gm, he is doing what an elite gm is doing. which is being patient and waiting for the right and best opportunities his club needs.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  06:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Date	Players...	Signed with.....        Previous Rights Owner
Jul-18	Ryan Shannon	Vancouver Canucks	Vancouver Canucks
Jul-09	Aaron Miller	Vancouver Canucks	Los Angeles Kings
Jul-03	Curtis Sanford	Vancouver Canucks	St. Louis Blues
Jul-03	Lukas Krajicek	Vancouver Canucks	Vancouver Canucks
Jul-03	Byron Ritchie	Vancouver Canucks	Calgary Flames
Jul-03	Brad Isbister	Vancouver Canucks	New York Rangers

What did he do wrong, he was active in the Free agent signings...What do you think he should do ?

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  09:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With those signings there not really good ones that can help out on the offence, witch they need. I think Ryan Shannon is the only one who could help out a little.

No Sacrifice , No Victory!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8437
( )

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  10:53:43  Reply with Quote
Nonis is not 'elite' by any means. Average, OK, good enough..... those all describe him. To call him 'elite' is a joke.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4024
( )

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  14:44:13  Reply with Quote
what about the signing of talor pyatt?
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  15:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He didn't sign Taylor Pyatt. Buffalo traded him for a 4th round draft choice. Vancouver definateley won that trade.

No Sacrifice , No Victory!
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  16:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think he is an elite GM but he isn't that bad. His Luongo deal was gold and after that he just tweaked his team a little. The offense is and he has to address that but for now he is doing alright.

Fan of Leafs Nation
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  17:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. Nonis is no elite General Manager but he has had some bright points so far with the 'Nucks. The Luongo trade was pretty good. I don;t know the details of the trade but if he offered it then he's got worthy guts for the position. I'm a little dissapointed with the offseason he's had so far though. Brad Ibister? C'mon! Trade some guys. Get a big guy to play with the twins.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  17:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy's getting an undeserved bad rap. The Luongo deal was one for the ages. Teams not bad, either. Can't really blame the coach. Maybe too many Swedes!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4043
( )

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  17:54:42  Reply with Quote
I've never heard anyone call Nonis an elite GM?????? He's only been doing this for a couple years how could he possibly be elite already? Luongo was a brilliant move but one move and only 1 level deep in the playoffs doesn't make him elite.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  19:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who are the elite GM's then?? I would say the vast majority of GM's in the league are about the same caliber. Few can hold on to a good team for more than 3 years, and they usually lose their jobs.

I would really like to hear who people think are the great GM's in the league.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

SlowShot
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
264 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  20:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug wilson for example he had a bad team he started with now he has one of the best and youngest team in the league.

Pickup hockey pool
Go to Top of Page

Guest4024
( )

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  20:55:15  Reply with Quote
patt quin. the deals he made for van in the past.. it was amazing.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  21:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian Burke...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  22:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ken Holland, Darcy Regier, Jim Rutherford, Brian Burke, Doug Wilson, Kevin Lowe, Paul Holmgrem, and Doug Armstrong are the strong ones that come to mind.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  08:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't add Kevin Lowe, Jim Rutherford and Paul Holmgren. I only consider Burke, Regier, Wilson, Lamoriello and Feaster as elite Gm's.

Fan of Leafs Nation
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  09:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug Wilson?? Really?? He became GM in the spring of 2003. The year before the team was 2nd in the west. The vast majority of the key players (Marleau, Hannan, Toskala, Cheechoo, Nabokov) were already there before Wilson was GM. He made the Thorton Trade, which was amazing. Granted, Boston would have traded Thorton for almost anything at that point.

The interesting thing with Wilson is the players that he has let go. Wonder if the Sharks would have won the Cup by now with Kiprusoff in net and Selanne on the wing. Both were Sharks when Wilson became GM, both left the first summer.

I personally would not put Wilson on the top of the list, and he had far from a poor team when he took over. That team had a bad year when he started, but they had talent.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

BigShow
Rookie

177 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  10:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen Sather, except for a couple years where all the money he had available went to his head. But recently he has been back on top of the game.

Quinn and Burke are the only others near his level.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  10:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian Burke-I think he's alright, but he had a lot of time in Vancouver and couldn't make them a winner. Anaheim?? That team was built off of moves made by Brian Murray. All Burke had to do was fill in a couple of holes. The heavy lifting was already done. However, he is one of the better one's.

I totally agree with Ken Holland and Doug Armstrong. I would also add in Francois Giguere and Lou Lamoriello. Those guys have had solid franchises for a long time. For the past 10-12 years, Dallas, New Jersey, Detroit, and Colorado always had a team on that ice that could reasonably win the Stanley Cup. And, considering that one of those teams have won the Cup 9 straight years from 95-03 is pretty special. Giguere was Asst. GM with Dallas and Colorado through that time, and looks like he is putting a great team on the ice this year. Lamoriello has been with NJ since 87 winning two Cups. Many of you on this site were not even born yet! Holland has been in Detroit(3 Cups) forever as well. And Armstrong has been with Dallas(1 Cup) since 91!

Many of the names people are saying have never sniffed the Cup, let alone win it.

My point is this: Any GM can pull a rabbit out of his hat and have a couple of good years (a la Darcy Regher) but for a guy to have a Cup caliber team for 10+ years, that is elite.

Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2007 :  10:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doug Wilson, because look at what he's done. Look at SJ's defense. One of if not the best defense in the league. He's done a great job with drafting too. He let Hannan go because he drafted a responsible replacement in Vlasic. Matt Carle is also one of his gems. I think he is pretty good if not Elite. I woudn't be so fast to put Giguere up there though. He has some flaws. He has done an amazing job of the team for this next coming season though. If they had Roy now, they would have the cup again. Kevin Lowe is really smart. I have alot of respect for him. He's had a really hard time with the Oilers franchise lately though. It's not all his fault. He is elite in my mind. Then Dean Lombardi also comes to mind. He left the Sharks as a great strong team and now is building LA into a strong team aswell.
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  04:22:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

The guy's getting an undeserved bad rap. The Luongo deal was one for the ages. Teams not bad, either. Can't really blame the coach. Maybe too many Swedes!

I´m in complete agreement those dam handsome well articulated Swedes cannot be trusted!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page