Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Oilers' Fernando Pisani Out Indefinitely! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  16:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forward Fernando Pisani will be out of the Edmonton Oilers' lineup indefinitely after being diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. That will definitely sting a little for the City of Champs. I had a friend with colitis and he very nearly died. It was quite the battle for him, he's got it under control now but for a couple years he was pretty much incapacitated. I'm pretty ignorant about the disease and maybe there are varying levels of severity but I'm guessing that Pisani is done for the year.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=336642&page=NewsPage&service=page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  18:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I happen to know a lot about ulcerative colitis because my dad and his dad both have (had) it. It never really had any influence on my grandfather's health until recently, but that's mainly because he is in his 90's and obviously does not have the strength he used to. However it has had a major impact on my dad's health. I know this isn't pleasant dinner conversation lol, but I'm just sharing what I know about it... My dad went in for a routine colonoscopy (they are quite important to monitor the disease) and something went wrong and they ended up puncturing a hole in his bowel wall. The next day he called in sick to work with sharp abdominal pains (which, to some extent, are common). But these were getting more and more intense, so my dad got my mom to drive him to the hospital, where he was rushed into emergency surgery. Apparently the hole had gotten so big that if the surgeons hadn't operated within 20 hours, he would have died. So they had to completely remove his large intestine (his source of the colitis). He had a rather lengthy recovery but he is now colitis-free. I think this alone shows the varying levels of severity. I think it's like a lot of illnesses, some people are carriers and never experience symptoms and for others it attacks strongly.

Also a note, ulcerative colitis is a scaled-down version of colon cancer. The main difference is that with colitis, once it's gone, the odds of it returning are thinner than hair. With colon cancer, it constantly attacks your colon and is near impossible to get rid of. It's a very unfortunate situation for Pisani and I hope he can get better and come back, however I can safely say that relatively speaking, he is lucky.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 09/05/2007 18:02:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page