Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Will Kesler be the same? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4639
( )

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  07:06:14  Reply with Quote
Do you guys think that Ryan Kesler will ever return to his 41 goal season form? He's been struggling with injuries recently and is still out for at least a couple of weeks.

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  08:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great question! It's funny because i was skeptical that he'd ever perform to the standard that he did that year so lucky for me, i was hesitant to draft him in pools the following year, knowing someone would overvalue him and sure enough, many did!

I honestly think he's capable, but i think he would need to find some real chemistry with a linemate or two. He's always going to be a valuable two way centre, but can will he put up 40+ goals again??? I wouldn't bet on it, but i'd be just as happy to see him return to his numbers of the year prior to that big season where he had 25G and 50A for 75pts (compared to the 41G and 32A for 73pts). Keep in mind that the year he put up 41, he was a fixture on the first unit PP as the guy creating traffic in front of the net, getting tip ins, rebounds and many nice tap ins from Sedin set ups. He also benefitted from the Malhotra aquisition in that he didn't need to focus on being the primary shut down guy all year.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  08:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think 41 goals for Kesler would be achievable again, simply by getting regular time on the top PP unit with the Sedin's. With Edler and Garrison on the back end, it would be a fantastic PP unit.

My worry is whether or not he'll return to his form in other ways. I'd be very happy if Kesler dropped down to 30 goals, but came back with all his tenacity, physical play, and defensive capabilities that made him one of the best second line centres in the NHL. The first two games have shown how shallow their scoring is without Kesler on the second line, and even worse, how bad their PK can be without the 1-2 punch of Kesler and Burrows.

I hope he's back before the end of the year, but having heard nothing about him recently I'm not sure that he will be.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  09:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last i heard was "he's months away" and this was from his agent just prior to Christmas IIRC?

It will be interesting to see how they handle his injury this time considering they caught a lot of flack for rushing him back last time?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4639
( )

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  18:45:50  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Great question! It's funny because i was skeptical that he'd ever perform to the standard that he did that year so lucky for me, i was hesitant to draft him in pools the following year, knowing someone would overvalue him and sure enough, many did!

I honestly think he's capable, but i think he would need to find some real chemistry with a linemate or two.

Do you think he could forge a good relationship with Kassian? I could see them together as a real force in a tough playoff series
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  22:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4639

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I honestly think he's capable, but i think he would need to find some real chemistry with a linemate or two.

Do you think he could forge a good relationship with Kassian? I could see them together as a real force in a tough playoff series

Well, there's been very little "chemistry" with Kesler and ANYBODY so why not give it a shot? If Kesler, Kassian and Booth/Hansen/Raymond/?...., found some "chemistry, it'd allow you to throw Burrows back on the top line and have two effective lines?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page