Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Will Winnipeg make the post season? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  14:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Will the Winnipeg Jets make it into the 2013 NHL Playoffs?

Choices:

Yes
No

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  16:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted yes based on the fact I think they have a good chance to win in Washington tonight with the streak they are on. I wouldn't bet against the Jets losing to Montreal in the final game of the season, should they win tonight. The big question of the remaining teams already in the playoffs seeded 6-8 and Washington, which would be the team out of the playoffs.

Hate to say it but Ottawa, my team is the most likely candidate to lose there playoff position to Winnipeg. Ottawa has less ROW, sits in 8th, having only a 1 point lead over the Jets, a worse ROW record, a game in hand, but a tougher remaining schedule with 2 tough road games against Washington, Boston and a home game against Philly. A loss on the road to Boston is likely. Ottawa has a good record against Washington, but a horrible road record (this ones 50/50 with Washington current hot streak). Philly at home should be a win, but not a gimme. Ottawa is in tough even with 1 win and a Shootout point, as the Jets could win both remaining games, so Ottawa must win 2 games should the Jets win tonight based on ROW.

Washington can control there own destiny tonight by winning against Winnipeg, which is the only team that can knock them out of the playoffs, which also helps every other team in the East's playoff contention. A loss tonight and there 2 remaining games are all at home, but Boston and Ottawa would be the remaining teams. Tonight is a must win for Washington against the Jets. A loss to the Jets tonight and Washington would need 2 wins minimum, based on ROW to keep the Jets out of top spot in the SE and the games remaining arent gimme's.

Rangers have a game in hand, easy 3 remaining games with Florida, Carolina and New Jersey, which are all out of playoff contention, have a 1 point lead and playing strong hockey now. I dont see them fading now. NYI have a game in hand, 2 point lead and are also playing very strong hockey, also with 3 easy remaining games with Carolina, Philly and Buffalo left to play. I figure them as a lock.

I say if the Jets win tonight they make it in, but dont know if Ottawa or Washington will be the losers, should that happen.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4521
( )

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  18:51:04  Reply with Quote
Jets lose, they are done.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  19:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jets still have an outside chance of taking out 8th if they win against Montreal and Ottawa and NYR cant secure minimum 2 points in there remaining games. Ottawa has 3 games to get at least 2 points and NYR have 2 games to get 2 points as well to clinch the playoffs. Looks like NYI and the Caps have clinched.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  11:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Jets still have an outside chance of taking out 8th if they win against Montreal and Ottawa and NYR cant secure minimum 2 points in there remaining games. Ottawa has 3 games to get at least 2 points and NYR have 2 games to get 2 points as well to clinch the playoffs. Looks like NYI and the Caps have clinched.

The Jets are still in it.

They have to . . .

1) Win against Montreal at home
(this is pretty likely . . . I can only imagine the crowd atmosphere for that game, roof will have to be bolted on tight!)

2) Hope that either . . .
a) Ottawa loses their last three games - in Washington (likely), at home against Philly (possible), and at Boston (really unlikely).
b) The Rangers lose in Carolina (definitely possible), and lose in New Jersey (strong possibility, you know that would make Jersey feel a whole lot better about missing the dance this year)

I think in each scenario that Winnipeg would have the tie break with more wins . . . if they won their last game of the season against Montreal, and either the Rangers or Ottawa lose all their games, but maybe lose one of them in OT or shootout to pick up a point.

Of course in today's NHL, Montreal could lose all three, and get 3 points and win the division . . . sigh. I pine for the old days.

It could happen for the 'Peg. Not banking on it, no, but . . . a definite possibility at this point.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  14:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo
a) Ottawa loses their last three games - in Washington (likely), at home against Philly (possible), and at Boston (really unlikely).

I'm assuming you meant "likely"?

As you say, they're not done yet, but the fat lady is warming up the ol' vocal cords! Tough to see both the Rangers AND Sens not gaining a couple points, even if it is by the way of a shootout/OT loss.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  04:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I'm assuming you meant "likely"?

As you say, they're not done yet, but the fat lady is warming up the ol' vocal cords! Tough to see both the Rangers AND Sens not gaining a couple points, even if it is by the way of a shootout/OT loss.

Ha ha, yes - meant very LIKELY, yes.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2013 :  19:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wishing there was still room for the Jets in the playoffs this year, but am glad it didn't come at the expense of Ottawa. Looks like the Rangers and Ottawa clinched tonight which leaves the Jets 1 point short regardless of remaining games. Have to say the Jets put in a decent effort with a lineup which has surprised me this year. Figure them for the playoffs next year with a much friendlier schedule.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page