Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Should this have been a goal?? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  06:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Controversial call in the OTT-MTL game last night. Is this a good goal, or did the NHL blow it?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/should-mika-zibanejads-goal-in-game-4-vs-montreal-canadiens-have-counted/

Personally, I think the NHL blew it. Now, the official rule does state something about a "distinct kicking motion". There may or may not have been an obvious distinct kicking motion, but i do think that Zibanejad purposely re-directed the puck towards the net with his skate. It should not have counted. My opinion at least....

Let here some other thought's on what turned out to be a game changing and perhaps a series changing moment.

Guest9239
( )

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  08:05:45  Reply with Quote
As strange as this sounds according to the rule book you are allowed to DIRECT the puck into the net with your skate as long as there no kicking motion.Where do you cross the line I sure as hell dont know but thats how its wriiten. Do have to take a soccer kick? Does your skate blade have to come off the ice? It just seems kind of an illogical rule and allways causes contraversy when it happens, espeacially in big games.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  08:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a similar goal scored by VAN earlier in the season - off the skate as the player was attempting to stop and in (I think it was Malhotra). It was disallowed at the time, and this one should have been disallowed as well. From the replay it looks like the player directing the puck into the net while stopping, he even adjusts his stopping angle to help the puck in.

I don't like the "distinct kicking motion" rule, because there are so many ways to intentionally deflect without a distinct kicking motion. This is one of them.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  08:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously as a fan of Ottawa I am going to say let the goal stand, go sens! But the rule does not state a puck deflecting of a players skate is against the rules and you are correct the player did position his skates so that the puck would go in the general direction of the net. Had his skate come off the ice or pushed the puck I say it should have been disallowed, but with regards to a kick motion, I say there was none. Tough break for Montreal, because at that point they were in command of the game, but the pesky Sens feed of plays like this and play the whole game, not just the opening period or 2.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  08:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It hits his stick before and changes direction, he doesnt have enough time to consciously kick it in
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  09:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good goal. You can stop/redirect the puck going to the net you just can't deliberately kick it in.

We all forget we see this at a fraction of the speed it actually happens I highly doubt he had time to even think. He was just going to the net hard trying to keep the puck in frot of him to get another chance.

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Guest9053
( )

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  11:36:02  Reply with Quote
It deflects off the Montreal defender a split second beforehand... he never had a chance to purposely try to kick it in. The replay also shows no distinct kicking motion.

I don't like the rule and feel stuff like this shouldn't count, but with the rules as they are currently written, that was a good goal.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  11:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9239

As strange as this sounds according to the rule book you are allowed to DIRECT the puck into the net with your skate as long as there no kicking motion.Where do you cross the line I sure as hell dont know but thats how its wriiten. Do have to take a soccer kick? Does your skate blade have to come off the ice? It just seems kind of an illogical rule and allways causes contraversy when it happens, espeacially in big games.

Very well said. This rule needs to be reworded! As Nuxfan mentioned, there was one earlier this year for the Canucks that was called back on something similar (arguably even less of a kicking motion) and i'm sure there were many more. As with everything else, we all just want consistency!!!

Personally, i think this should have been waved off instantly! NO GOAL!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  21:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching the game with my son and said to him....man i`m so glad that i`m not the reviewer on this one.....

This rule is so gray with this ...distinct kicking motion...statement.

Apparently you can turn the direction of your skate in any direction to re-direct the puck into the net .....as long as your skate ( stays on the ice ) and DOES NOT forward-ly motion the puck into the net....

This one was very tough but i thought there was some forward motion of the players skate thus pushing the puck into Montreals net.........NO GOAL in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4409
( )

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  09:22:31  Reply with Quote
The intent of the rule is to prevent players from dangerously kicking at loose pucks in the crease. The skates can be used to deflect or redirect shots in the net.

On this particular play the player was driving to the net. The puck deflected off his stick first then his skates as he tried to stop at the edge of the crease. He was in the process of stopping as the puck redirected off his skate into the net.

The right call was made.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page