Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2013 off-season...the most interesting in history? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  14:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RNH has just signed a 7yr/42M deal with EDM. I have to wonder if it was too much too soon for him. I get that he's part of the "big 3" in EDM, but IMO he has proved less than either Eberle or Hall so far.

I don't think there was any need for EDM to rush into an extension for him, perhaps they should have waited to see what would happen this season....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  04:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

RNH has just signed a 7yr/42M deal with EDM. I have to wonder if it was too much too soon for him. I get that he's part of the "big 3" in EDM, but IMO he has proved less than either Eberle or Hall so far.

I don't think there was any need for EDM to rush into an extension for him, perhaps they should have waited to see what would happen this season....

It does seem a bit rushed, but . . . I think he also has the greatest potential. What was it that the new coach, Dallas Eakins, said as an old quote though . . . ah - "Kid, your potential is gonna cost me my job!". Classic one (he was offering it up as a joke, not commenting on any player obviously - but it's a poignant point for Eakins I think, knowing all the "potential" there is in the Edmonton lineup).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  10:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this deal is incredibly rushed. The justification people were talking about yesterday is that RNH has as good or better PPG average in his first 2 seasons (around 0.75) than Hall, Eberle, and other players like Tavares, Seguin, et al had in their first two season. Unfortunately, those players first two seasons were close to 160 games where Hopkins has played 100ish games.

If there was a player that was a candidate for a bridge contract in Edmonton, this is the guy.

That said, I still think RNH is a stud and, if he stays healthy, will likely be the best of the 5 core players in Edmonton (Eberle, Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and Schultz). I would have rather seen a 2 yr $3-$4 million deal before committing to 7 years.

The Oilers have $120 million committed to three players over 6-7 years. Sure glad the owner is a billionaire!

On a positive note, I love the consistancy of the deals the Oilers are signing with their elite players. Three of their 5 core players signed for $6 million. If they can do that with the other 2 (and sign a goalie for $4-$5 million), that's a recipe for successful cap management.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  15:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
On a positive note, I love the consistancy of the deals the Oilers are signing with their elite players. Three of their 5 core players signed for $6 million. If they can do that with the other 2 (and sign a goalie for $4-$5 million), that's a recipe for successful cap management.

Spot on! That's what Vancouver has managed to do lately and it's help build a competetive team here. IF these guys find some success, when they're due for resigning, they might be more apt to dole out hometown discounts in the next set of contracts? Funny thing is, if they come close, but don't win a cup, it might actually be better! They'd prob be hungry, know they were close and agree to sign for less to "finish the job". However, if they win a cup, they might be more inclined to move on? Either way, Oilers and their fans win really. I'm sure winning a cup would be a nice consolation to losing one or two of these guys!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  18:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think this is a mistake. He has the PPG and the talent, I will give him that, but is currently on the IR and like Bean's has stated has only played 100 games thus far. With last year being an off year, due to injury, I would have waited to see if he bounced back first before going long with a contract. If he bounces back and hopefully fills out some, it could end up being great. Theres as much risk as benefit.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  12:52:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Personally, I think this is a mistake. He has the PPG and the talent, I will give him that, but is currently on the IR and like Bean's has stated has only played 100 games thus far. With last year being an off year, due to injury, I would have waited to see if he bounced back first before going long with a contract. If he bounces back and hopefully fills out some, it could end up being great. Theres as much risk as benefit.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

I'm not even sure that he has the stats to back this deal up. Personally, I see very little difference between RHN and Kadri - both have one good year so far in the NHL (RHN rookie year, Kadri last year), both are roughly the same age and maturity. Both have played roughly the same number of NHL games, and RNH has more points and a slightly better PPG than Kadri. Yet RNH hit the jackpot, and Kadri is on a sensible bridge deal.

I agree with Beans, a bridge deal at 4M per (higher than Kadri to reflect the potential and higher success) would have been the way to go. RNH might have potential out the wazoo, but the NHL is full of players with potential. So far outside of a great rookie year, the only thing he's proven is that he can injure his shoulder, repeatedly.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2013 :  14:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of these 2 players as a comparison as well. The difference between Kadri and RNH is Hopkins had a full season of success, but then got injured which tailed off his production to lower his ppg. Kadri had 1 48 game season where his stats were at RNH average, but 2 in which he could secure an NHL regular position. I do think RNH has greater value than Kadri at this point.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  09:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Kadri vs. Hopkins?? No way.

Firstly, RNH had a far deeper pedigree prior to hitting the NHL. Consensus #1 pick vs. a guy who was drafted earlier than many anticipated. Secondly, Kadri couldn't crack the NHL (on a bottom 5 team mind you) for the first 2 years of his entry level contract. RNH was a legit top 6 forward his first season and TIED the Calder winning player in point while playing 20 fewer games. RNH also scored a 0.5 PPG with a shoulder that required surgery. In 3 seasons without injury Kadri has one stretch of 44 games where he was a legit top 6 forward. RNH has been a legit top 6 forward for his 2 seasons in the league with 2 legit injuries. RNH is also 3 years younger, not the same age.

This is not even close to a comparable.

The ONLY flaw in this deal is RNH has not proven to be durable. The bridge deal I suggested would prove that. However, if the Oilers signed a $4 million bridge for 2 yrs. and RNH continues progress and stays healthy, the next deal he would have signed may need to be $7+ million. The Oilers are taking a risk that he will stay healthy and saving a few dollars if that's a winning bet

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2013 :  16:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or they could have let this contract go into mid season to see if he was gonna bounce back post injury. Either way going large and long beforehand for RNH seems very risky. Bridge might have been the a good way to go if Hopkins would sign 1, but he might not have agreed to 1. I don't understand the pressure to sign him longterm now.

I can understand someone who would compare RNH to Kadri. Both came in with offensive potential, have 3 years in the NHL, although for 2 Kadri couldn't crack the regular roster. I believe RNH size was comparable to Kadri, but Kadri has filled out more and is not considered injury prone to this point. Kadri's last season was what RNH ppg looks like.

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Kadri vs. Hopkins?? No way.

Firstly, RNH had a far deeper pedigree prior to hitting the NHL. Consensus #1 pick vs. a guy who was drafted earlier than many anticipated. Secondly, Kadri couldn't crack the NHL (on a bottom 5 team mind you) for the first 2 years of his entry level contract. RNH was a legit top 6 forward his first season and TIED the Calder winning player in point while playing 20 fewer games. RNH also scored a 0.5 PPG with a shoulder that required surgery. In 3 seasons without injury Kadri has one stretch of 44 games where he was a legit top 6 forward. RNH has been a legit top 6 forward for his 2 seasons in the league with 2 legit injuries. RNH is also 3 years younger, not the same age.

This is not even close to a comparable.

The ONLY flaw in this deal is RNH has not proven to be durable. The bridge deal I suggested would prove that. However, if the Oilers signed a $4 million bridge for 2 yrs. and RNH continues progress and stays healthy, the next deal he would have signed may need to be $7+ million. The Oilers are taking a risk that he will stay healthy and saving a few dollars if that's a winning bet

Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2013 :  11:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL kadri vs hopkins
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic