Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Perron to the Oilers Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  13:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just heard on the radio that the Oilers have aquired David Perron from the Blues but no details on who's going the other way?

I'm just guessing but wouldn't be surprised if Paarjarvi is at least part of the deal?

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  13:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only info i can find is on a french site that confirms what i thought as to Paarjarvi being involved. It says:
En retour, les Blues obtiennent l'attaquant Magnus Paajarvi et un choix de deuxième tour au prochain repêchage.

My high school french of 20 years ago translates that as "In return, the Blues recieve Magnus Paajarvi and a 2nd round pick in next years draft"???
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  13:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paajarvi and EDM's 2014 second round pick to STL for Perron. Great pickup by EDM.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  14:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

Paajarvi and EDM's 2014 second round pick to STL for Perron. Great pickup by EDM.

I think this is an interesting deal, one which could be good for both clubs. Perron has a bit of a concussion history so there is that worry, though he does have some really good skill that could mesh with the young Edm roster. With Hall being the #1 RW and Hemsky #2, i have to think Hemsky is going to be moving on. I don't think the Oilers grabbed Perron for a 3rd line role.
The interesting part is from the St Louis side. Paajarvi is untapped potential. He was buried behind some other young talent in Edmonton and maybe didn't get enough time to either develop, or show what he has to offer? Prob in St Louis is, they're pretty deep too so i don't know what he's going to have to do to move up to a top 2 line role?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2013 :  14:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't really know much about Perron, so I took a look. He's 6 foot 200 pounds, with a history of concussions, but is a 50 point player with 20+ goal potential, in the final year of his contract for $3.4 million cap hit.

I know Paajarvi was down the depth chart and likely not in Edmonton's long term plans, but I think Edmonton might have given away the best player in this trade. Something tells me Paajarvi will catch on in St Louis becoming a decent contributor. He is a big bodied player listed at 205, 6-4 with a cap hit of $900,000 and a 30 point player on the 3rd line.

I predict this as advantage Blues, but I might be alone in this.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 07/10/2013 14:43:36
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  04:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pick-up by Edmonton in my opinion.

Perron is a very solid, physical player that will bring grit/toughness to their forwards . . . and Pajaarvi just wasn't going to be that player they had hoped. He had been given all the chances in the world to succeed, playing with loads of talent, but he could barely hold himself in the line-up.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  07:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Only info i can find is on a french site that confirms what i thought as to Paarjarvi being involved. It says:
En retour, les Blues obtiennent l'attaquant Magnus Paajarvi et un choix de deuxième tour au prochain repêchage.

My high school french of 20 years ago translates that as "In return, the Blues recieve Magnus Paajarvi and a 2nd round pick in next years draft"???

Ton français est très bon Alex. Immersion?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  07:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be fair, Perron has had only one concussion. I'm not sure that qualifies as a "history", even though it was a bad concussion.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5052
( )

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  07:53:26  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, I dont get this one. Ive seen paajarvi play more than a few times and everytime i do Im underwhelmed. Maybe oilers fans will tell me otherwise, but I dont see it.

Perron is also a pretty nice player. I thought he was quiet vs LA, but that was a tough series for anyone to play in.

The only conclusion I could reach was that St Louis must see something in Paajarvi that I dont (admittedly I lack the pedigree of an NHL scout) or they had real concerns about Perron's health... or some combination of the two.

I like this trade for Edmonton a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2331
( )

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  08:13:05  Reply with Quote
cap space to sign Pietrangelo, Stewart, etc
and isn't Perron LW not RW
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  08:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

[quote]Originally posted by Alex116

Merci! No french immersion, i'm too old for that (wasn't around in anything but private schools back in my day). I did take French from grade 5 right through graduation though and did quite well in it back then. Now though, i can prob read / translate it FAR better than i could speak it! lol.....

Back to the Perron thing, i think the cap space is a big thing. I also heard that this deal had been in the works for "awhile" and am guessing that the draft pick is what prob held it up? I'm also thinking that in picking up MPS, they are aquiring a guy who still has some untapped potential and are hoping he blossoms in StL. With the 2nd included, i think it's a fairly even deal though i give the immediate edge to the Oilers as i like this Perron kid.
Ton français est très bon Alex. Immersion?

Edited by - Alex116 on 07/11/2013 12:14:12
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  10:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More I read about this Perron, the more I wonder if he is the right pickup for Edmonton. He is suppose to be a high energy offensive style player, which is great if that is what you team is lacking. What has been thrown around as the missing pieces for Edmonton is gritty 2way players, defensively responsible, with size who can add to the scoring depth.

Not saying Perron isn't a good pickup, but is this what Edmonton needed? With the few defenseman being brought in thru the draft and free agency, maybe MacT has decided he didn't need that type of player and wants to work on 5/5 scoring next, which the Oilers were lacking last year. My thoughts are a coaching style change which Eakins will try to bring, was all they needed to improve 5/5 scoring.

Paajarvi wasn't able to earn top 6 minutes in Edmonton with the wealth of forwards and was being used in a checking role. His talent lies with a team which can include him and develop him as a top 6 forward. I don't think his effort was 100%, but a change in scenery with more playing time could change that. St Louis could do well with him. He certainly has the potential to match Perrons stats, be better physically to compete in front of the net with a much bigger frame.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  10:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

What has been thrown around as the missing pieces for Edmonton is gritty 2way players, defensively responsible, with size who can add to the scoring depth.

You have just described Perron.

- 25 years old
- reasonable cap hit of 3.8M for each of the next 3 years
- 6'/205 forward, not afraid to throw size around
- played top-6 in STL, producing at a pretty steady .5 PPG
- plays PP and PK, and is defensively responsible.

He might be light on the gritty (he's no Lucic), but other than that, he's pretty much what EDM needed. He's pretty much what a lot of teams need, truth be told, so good pickup for EDM.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  12:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

What has been thrown around as the missing pieces for Edmonton is gritty 2way players, defensively responsible, with size who can add to the scoring depth.

You have just described Perron.

- 25 years old
- reasonable cap hit of 3.8M for each of the next 3 years
- 6'/205 forward, not afraid to throw size around
- played top-6 in STL, producing at a pretty steady .5 PPG
- plays PP and PK, and is defensively responsible.

He might be light on the gritty (he's no Lucic), but other than that, he's pretty much what EDM needed. He's pretty much what a lot of teams need, truth be told, so good pickup for EDM.

If that is what he brings, good pickup. I guess it shows I don't know his style of game. Figured at 6foot and 200pds he might not be size wise, enough for what I was hoping the Oilers would bring in.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  14:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For anyone who has watched Pajaarvi play over the past three seasons will say the same thing. That is great speed, size, and skill with zero desire to play in the dirty areas or take the puck to the net at all. We used to play a drinking game where any time MPS button hooked on the boards in the offensive zone one would have take a drink. More than once it put me in a state of stumbling and mumbling.

Perron did have a concussion but played in every game last a season. He is known to be a gritty player who scores from tough places on the ice. That is exactly was the oilers need. He is also known to be a magician with the puck and can stick handle in a phone booth. The knock on him is that he often doesn't use his team mates well enough.

Smart short term gains for the Oilers and Pajaarvi was expendable. If Perron is a top 6 guy then MacT will need to find a home for Hemsky to make room. The preliminary story is that Perron is slated to play 2nd line with Gagner and Yakupov but the Oilers top 6 are very plug and play in any spot on the 1st or 2nd line.

Still would like to see the Oilers add a Coburn type defenseman but I really like this move to improve their even strength scoring.

Ottawa, the best coached team in the NHL, with MVP like players such as Chris Neil, will win the Cup in 2013!

Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  18:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's hope the neck holds out

Go OILERS Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  21:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guess time will tell on this one........wasn`t paaj suppose to be the next great oiler power forward ?
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2013 :  21:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Go OILERS Go!!!

When I saw it was you who posted this, I actually snorted decaf out my nose..lmao!

Nicely done Sahis! Good to see you have that kind of a sense of humour, some of us thought about the neck angle, but I never expected to see it be you who posted it!

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  00:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Go OILERS Go!!!

When I saw it was you who posted this, I actually snorted decaf out my nose..lmao!

Nicely done Sahis! Good to see you have that kind of a sense of humour, some of us thought about the neck angle, but I never expected to see it be you who posted it!

Agreed....much respect for the comment!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page