Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Chicago
 Crawford re-signs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

umteman
PickupHockey Pro



USA
431 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  08:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good move for the Blackhawks.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks/blackhawks-sign-corey-crawford-six-year-deal

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Edited by - leigh on 09/09/2013 14:58:26

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1905 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  10:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6 years at $6 million average. No doubt this is a major signing for Chicago and a long term. Its been alluded to before in the Kessel topic that signing the best players in Chicago moving forward was gonna be tough. Does this make it easier or harder to sign Kane and Toews next year. Too many quality players to sign everybody as a team can't continue to pay sub $7 million dollar contracts to some of the better players in the game. Was Crawford worth more or less?

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro



USA
431 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  14:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His stature at this point would make it tough to sign him for less.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3592 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  14:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is a case of good timing - its hard to lowball a goalie that just came off winning the Stanley Cup, with crazy good stats in the process, who would have been UFA in a year's time. Had they let him get to UFA status the contract offers would likely have been ridiculous next summer - 6M per year might have been on the low side...

I don't know what his true value might be - how do you value a goalie that has played 150 games in the NHL behind one of the best teams in the NHL? Time will tell how this contract works out.

One thing for sure - it will be difficult for CHI to keep this team together after this season - 8M to sign 10 players next summer. Unless Toews and Kane are willing to take less-than-market deals to stay, which is certainly possible.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1905 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  08:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chicago looks good for 2013/14. Chicago has 7 forwards, Crawford and 5 defenseman signed in 2014/15. Handzus, Hjalmarsson and a backup goalie being the only minor pieces not signed, outside of a 7th dman and depth forwards with $8.684 left to sign if the cap doesn't rise. Brookbank, Morin, Hayes, Shaw and Bollig being the other pieces not signed. Certain Chicago would have to move one big contract player to make room for the rest if the cap stay close to what it is now, but the sky doesn't fall until 2015/16, when hopefully the cap will rise to give relief. This season and next the core looks intact and they could push again for a deep playoff run both years.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3592 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  11:47:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Chicago looks good for 2013/14. Chicago has 7 forwards, Crawford and 5 defenseman signed in 2014/15. Handzus, Hjalmarsson and a backup goalie being the only minor pieces not signed, outside of a 7th dman and depth forwards with $8.684 left to sign if the cap doesn't rise. Brookbank, Morin, Hayes, Shaw and Bollig being the other pieces not signed. Certain Chicago would have to move one big contract player to make room for the rest if the cap stay close to what it is now, but the sky doesn't fall until 2015/16, when hopefully the cap will rise to give relief. This season and next the core looks intact and they could push again for a deep playoff run both years.




So now "minor piece" Hjalmarsson has signed for 4.1M for the next 5 years.

This leaves them with 4.5M to sign 9 players next season - including Handzus (UFA), and Shaw (RFA coming off EL deal), and a backup goalie. Nick Leddy will be in the last year of his deal, as will both Toews and Kane.

They are fine this season, and I agree, they'll probably make the most of it. Come next summer, something significant will have to give, or the cap will have to go up a fair bit. I don't see any other way around it.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1905 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  13:42:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crawford, 7 Forwards and 6 dmen signed with $4.584 remaining in the next following season to sign 5 bottom 6 forwards 1 backup and a 2 depth defenseman. Does seem kinda tight to fit the 8 or 9 players they will need to compete, unless Chicago owners have an idea what the cap is gonna rise to or if they have intentions of moving a contract or 2 along soon. My guess is they are banking on a rise of $5-10 million in 2014/15 and plan on bringing up players already in the system. As I said before the core is locked up for 2 years now and as solid as any team in the NHL.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 09/04/2013 13:48:25
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star



3592 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  15:09:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA
My guess is they are banking on a rise of $5-10 million in 2014/15 and plan on bringing up players already in the system. As I said before the core is locked up for 2 years now and as solid as any team in the NHL.



I agree with your assessment, they're looking for 9 players (not 8, a full roster is 23 and they have 14 now), and those players would all be sub-million per year, either EL or journeymen. 4.5M divided by 9 players is less than the NHL minimum wage...

A rise of 5M would be required, and 10M would provide breathing room for everyone. I personally don't think the cap will rise that much only a single year after a lockout, but I too think CHI management must have some knowledge of revenue projections.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran



Canada
1905 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  16:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree 1 year increase would not likely be $10 million or 15%, but taking into account last years shortened season and lowering of the cap, it might happen. I heard last year after the lockout was successful compared to other seasons 2nd half + post seasons. A good recovery of what was lost during the lockout, plus if you add the fact most teams paid less because of the cap rollback, I can see how the recovery could happen sooner. Add the fact that there are additional winter classic games played and Canadian TV rights to be settled, I'd say the NHL might raise it higher than the 6-7% yearly increase they expected.

quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA
My guess is they are banking on a rise of $5-10 million in 2014/15 and plan on bringing up players already in the system. As I said before the core is locked up for 2 years now and as solid as any team in the NHL.



I agree with your assessment, they're looking for 9 players (not 8, a full roster is 23 and they have 14 now), and those players would all be sub-million per year, either EL or journeymen. 4.5M divided by 9 players is less than the NHL minimum wage...

A rise of 5M would be required, and 10M would provide breathing room for everyone. I personally don't think the cap will rise that much only a single year after a lockout, but I too think CHI management must have some knowledge of revenue projections.



"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page