Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Bernier / Olympics Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  14:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't wanna jump the gun here (although I am)...

what are the chances Bernier not only makes but starts for team Canada at the olympics?

the only thing working against him is a small sample size of games (which could end up helping him - teams don't know his weaknesses).
though he was drafted relatively high for a goaltender.

looking at our other options:

- Price
- Fleury
- Luongo
- Smith
- Holtby
- Ward
- Crawford

No one jumps out at me particularly. Price would probably be my pick.

I think the job is Luongo's to lose ... which I think he will...

66 is > than 99

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  15:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loungo, Ward and Crawford would be my picks if the picks were done today. Bernier might get a commemorative set of steak knifes of Russian quality, but an invite to this years Olympic never.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  18:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Yzerman is pretty progressive in his thinking, and Bernier is not in any kind of a "no chance" scenario.

However, he'd have to continue to be lights out basically to get the call. And nothing below his current level - basically unsustainable for most humans - will probably do.

We know Luongo is there. He might be the only guarantee. I think Crawford is there too. The third spot is up for grabs, and I'd say that for the first two weeks of the season . . . maybe Bernier has poked his nose into the race of possibles, nothing more.

But it's a chance.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2013 :  20:03:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But would he be at risk for losing his authentic Russian commemorative steak knife set, in the very unlikely event he receives an invite to play 3rd fiddle to Loungo and Crawford. I'd say it would take an incredible streak for a guy with not more than 3 -4 games as the maybe #1 in TO to be considered for the Olympics. Not saying he isn't playing well and isn't the likely #1 in TO moving forward, but considered for the most important position in a premier event? Its a long shot at best.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  16:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's awfully early to be discussing a guy like this, but never say never. He's a long shot for sure, but "never" is awfully strong! If he plays absolutely lights out till Christmas and has some success earning the #1 gig in TO, he'll have an outside shot!
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  05:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night's performance against the oilers I would have to say hurt his chances to start at the Olympics. The offense managed to pull out the win, but Bernier definitely looked less than average in that game. Don't get me wrong, I still think he should be the number 1 in Toronto, just a rough game last night.

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page