Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Pools & Fantasy Hockey
 1st Pick... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  11:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious who everyone would take if they had the 1st overall pick in their playoff draft? Usually going into my pool, I have a clear favorite who I would take if I drew the 1st pick. I'm torn this year though!

With the West being as tough as it is this season, I'm leaning towards the Bruins. They don't have that top offensive player though, instead they have a very balanced offense group with the likes of Krejci, Bergeron, Iginla, Marchand, Eriksson, Lucic etc. Not sure if I could take Krejci 1st overall or not. It's always hard to pass over Crosby as well, and I think they'll be CBJ which would mean at least 2 rounds, but recent history makes me nervous going with the Pens.

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  13:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
depending on how the point structure is i'd go with either Kreijci or Rask. you want a good level of certainty that your 1st pick will go deep into the playoffs. and with Boston playing the way they are playing, and the eastern conference being the easier one of the two to predict, it's a pretty good bet the B's are going to the finals this year.

the west is basically a toss up for which team will make it through. personally i'm predicting a San Jose-Chicago conference final. but even narrowing it down to those two teams it'd be so hard to try and pick ONE player. but i might go with Pavelski. i think this could be San Jose's year.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2014 :  20:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take crosby, bruins are a team that can go out in the first round, they're good in later rounds because the other teams have been worn down at that point
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  02:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

Take crosby, bruins are a team that can go out in the first round, they're good in later rounds because the other teams have been worn down at that point

is this a reference to last year?? when Boston came very close to being eliminated round 1? because other than that, I don't remember Boston even coming close to being eliminated round 1, the past few years they have been the team to go deep in the playoffs, I think 2 stanley cup final appearances (one which they won) in 3 years would agree.

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  05:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shepsky
is this a reference to last year?? when Boston came very close to being eliminated round 1? because other than that, I don't remember Boston even coming close to being eliminated round 1, the past few years they have been the team to go deep in the playoffs, I think 2 stanley cup final appearances (one which they won) in 3 years would agree.

-Mario Lemieux

don't forget the year they won the cup they almost lost to the Habs in the 1st round. beat them in OT in game 7. and if memory serves me correct the Habs hit a post in that OT game.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  16:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have SJS / CHI in the West and BOS / PIT in the East.

Safe bets in the East, I know. The West is going to be a real dog fight though. SJS is always a bit of an unknown but I like their chances this year.

So for my first pick I'd go with any of the top guns from those 4 teams, with and emphasis on the East since they seem a little easier to predict as The Gipper mentioned above. The default choice for a forward is Crosby of course.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2014 :  20:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shepsky

quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

-Mario Lemieux

The Bruins have in fact struggled the past three post seasons. In each of the past 3, they've gone 7 games as the favorite and in all three game 7's, they've gone to OT! They beat Montreal in OT in 2011, lost to Washington in OT in 2012 and we all remember last year vs TO. So, yes, they have struggled in round 1 with this core over the past few seasons.

Detroit could def pose a problem for them, but it'd be hard to bet against them regardless. IF, you like Boston to go deep, Krejci would be the guy I'd focus on myself.

I, like Leigh, think this may be SJ's year (finally) but then again, many have been saying this for a LONG time!!! Having said that, I'd prob look to the usual (Crosby) and assume that they will get by CBJ and take my chances with him moving forward?

If you don't like Pitt's chances, don't worry about what others think about who you take at #1. Pretend you have 8th pick and whoever it is you wanted was still available! Playoff pools are SO MUCH different than reg season pools!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  08:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This year . . . knowing how defensive and tight and unpredictable the match-ups are in the west . . . I'm forced to look East at the clear favourites.

Myself, I think Pittsburgh will be upset within the first two rounds, So I am going to stay off of Crosby and Malkin. So it's Boston.

Rask is my #1; and almost right behind him is Iginla at #2. No jokes please! For #3 on downward . . . ugh, I guess I have to pick the goalie from the West who I think will make the final, and that's like flipping a 6 sided coin at this point. My pick might be Niemi or Miller at this stage.

I think Eriksson is a great darkhorse-type pick for Boston. He had some random injuries, and his lowered points are deceptive here . . . he is now healthy, and rounding into form. He is a guy like Iginla who can score it any which way - pretty, ugly, dipsy-doodle, off his butt. Saving him for the mid-rounds.

All hail Canada`s team the Montreal Canadiens our hope for a Stanley Cup to come home to Canada is 2014! Keep Calm and Carey on!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  10:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn Slozo! If you're sticking with the east and going goalie, shouldn't a Hab lover like you go with Price???
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  13:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will probably stay away from Boston players. Everybody seems to agree that they are the clear cut favourites in the east. That's exactly why you should stay away from them. Everybody will want a little piece out of Rask, Chara, Krejci, Iginla, Marchand, Krug, Bergeron and all those guys, so even if you pick a Boston first overall you will probably not get the others to support.

Plus Boston might very well lose against Detroit. So you go for guys in Montreal or Lightning, those teams that are playing against each other that people are overlooking. Or you start with one of the western powerhouse. There is so many players over there that people probably wont come bother you and pick all your Chicago players, because they'll go for St-Louis instead (or vice versa)

You aim for like four teams, two contenders and two surprise like Montreal, Rangers, San Jose and Minnesota.

I stay away from teams that everybody wants a piece of, and this year it's Boston.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  22:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah geeze slozo way to betray your team the habs for Rask,,,

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  09:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

yeah geeze slozo way to betray your team the habs for Rask,,,

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?

You, my friend, are terrible!!!

And last night, lo and behold . . . I got #1 draft pick out of the hat. Stuck true to my word, picked Rask as my #1, and as it was a snake draft and there were 9 of us in total, 16 picks later, Iginla was still available and I picked him as my #2.

Now it's fingers crossed.

I loaded up on Boston (4 players) and picked 3 each from St. Louis and Philly. Went heavier on the east coast players, thinking it was going to be more scoring/looser defence on the eastern side . . . but last night's Anaheim/Dallas game is making me regret that decision already.

Oh well - I got my two finals goalies, Rask and Miller. Should win on their coattails alone, no?

All hail Canada`s team the Montreal Canadiens our hope for a Stanley Cup to come home to Canada is 2014! Keep Calm and Carey on!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page