Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 Oilers trade Perron to Pitts Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  09:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the Oilers have made a move, trading David Perron to Pittsburgh for the Pens first rounder this June.

Certainly not a blockbuster deal, but one that could add some scoring depth to the Pens and obviously does nothing immediately for the Oilers aside from weakening them to assist in their quest for McDavid. With the rumoured move of Draisaitl back to junior, this Oilers team is likely going all in on the young highly touted prospect.

Edited by - n/a on 01/03/2015 06:56:23

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  14:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't see this thread when I started a new one, my bad. First round plus Klinkhammer I guess is at least something. Obviously, like you said Alex, just continues the quest for mcdavid. Amazing, imagine the message this sends to the rest of the oilers. If we don't like you, we will trade you to a contending team! Haha. Classic.

I love Perron so I am sad to see him go. I guess we might as well take what we can get and considering past moves that included a first rounder, he's in pretty good company. Thank god I have Perron in my pool, now maybe he can start scoring some goals for me.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2015 :  07:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's an interesting move. First, it tells us is that the first rounders are probably not going anywhere. Perron is exactly the kind of player that if moved, nobody really cares. They did get what I think is a very good return on this trade.

To me, this signals that there will be no large, blockbuster deal coming from the Oilers. Oh well!

From Pittsburgh's angle, I always find it funny when a highly offensive team goes after a player like this: a fairly soft, undersized, skilled scorer. It's not really what they need, in my opinion.

Good deal for the Oil.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2015 :  09:58:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well not that I think the Oilers won this trade, but at least we know have the first clear indication they are ready to swap talent for future in Edmonton, which is probably the right direction for them right now. Perron on many occasions was the hardest working Oilers on the team, but not the greatest talent on the roster.

Glad for Perron, but I don't think this should be the end of the sell off for the Oilers and not the person I was expecting to go first, as hard working players are a hard to find premium on this roster.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  07:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perron is soft?? Really? Have you watched the guy play?? He is always in the tough parts of the ice and always mucking it up in the corners and in front of the net. Perhaps we have a different opinions of what a soft player is. Slozo, can you help me with why you would call him soft? And undersized?? 6' and 200lbs would not be considered big by any stretch of the word but undersized?? The average NHL forward is 5'11" and 190 lbs. How is Perron undersized??

This trade makes a lot of sense for PItt. Not only are they decimated with injuries but why not take someone who is making reasonable money and can skate with Crosby??

I would also say in many respects the Oilers are the loser in this trade. They moved a legit top 6 forward for a marginal role player and a 1st round pick that will likely be anywhere from #22 to #30. Historically, there is only a 55% change that a player picked in that range will ever play in the NHL let alone be an every day player. So yeah, that's a loss of a trade in my books. Perron could have and should have returned a roster player today.

Another note is that this trade shows more likelihood of a bigger trade coming as that 1st round pick could become part of a bigger move at the deadline or at the draft.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  08:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, I've heard exactly that, that the 1st rounder indeed could be part of a larger deadline deal. Makes sense. I also agree that this is a great move for Pittsburgh. To get a guy as young as Perron (26) and coming off a 28 goal season as a 2nd liner on a terrible team is pretty good. Obviously he's been pretty bad this season but if the rumours of his unhappiness in Edm are to be believed, perhaps a change of scenery is what he needed? I'm guessing that looking up to see Crosby and / or Malkin dishing him the puck may be a good start as far as that change of scenery???

It's hard to argue that the Oilers lost this deal however as a first rounder is still a valuable pick. Let's also not forget that the Oilers prob don't really want a good roster player at this point considering the drive for a better pick is well under way. This is perfect for them in fact. It gives them either a pick for the future, or a piece they can trade away at the deadline, all while not helping them win any games over the next couple months!

IMO, great trade for both sides when you consider where these two teams are.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  09:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I would also say in many respects the Oilers are the loser in this trade. They moved a legit top 6 forward for a marginal role player and a 1st round pick that will likely be anywhere from #22 to #30. Historically, there is only a 55% change that a player picked in that range will ever play in the NHL let alone be an every day player. So yeah, that's a loss of a trade in my books. Perron could have and should have returned a roster player today.

[b]

I find this very hard to believe. Perhaps overall history, but certainly not recent history. I just looked back at the drafts of 2000-2010 and this is what I saw for picks 22-30 as far as # of players to have played in the NHL for at least a game.
2000 - All 9
2001 - 8/9
2002 - 7/9
2003 - 9/9
2004 - 8/9
2005 - 9/9
2006 - 8/9
2007 - 7/9
2008 - 8/9
2009 - 8/9
2010 - 9/9

Now, true, some played as little as 1 NHL game, but other many more! I'm not saying by any means it's a guaranteed long term roster guy they will get there but there's enough names who've been picked in that area of a draft to make that a pretty valuable pick. Sure, it's a bit of a lottery ticket as it could just as easily be a total dud, but in fairness, David Perron himself was drafted at 26th overall in his draft year?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  12:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected! Serves me right for not looking myself and trusting the word of others. I heard that stat from a very anti-Oiler radio host so it might have been his way of spinning this to be a bad deal.

Regardless, when you are wrong you are wrong. In this case, I am wrong. Thanks for the clarification Alex.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  14:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I stand corrected! Serves me right for not looking myself and trusting the word of others. I heard that stat from a very anti-Oiler radio host so it might have been his way of spinning this to be a bad deal.

Regardless, when you are wrong you are wrong. In this case, I am wrong. Thanks for the clarification Alex.

I've heard stuff like that before about first rounders and in fairness, maybe historical its closer to that? Maybe in the 70's and 80's or even earlier, those guys were less successful? Also, i admit, many if thise guys either barely played or were far from impact players. Eitherway, iI'm always fascinated by drafts and looking back at them so I'm always eager to look into these things.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  16:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be curious to see how many made it past the 8-10 regular season game, try out before burning 1st year of entry level eligibility on a contract. Think the numbers might be closer to Bean's number by that standard. Either way a 1st round draft pick always has value. Theres always a Zetterburg waiting to be found at the draft. I find the further down the draft you usually find decent players with size or goaltender's. Cant even think of the Oilers wasting a top 10-20 pick on a goaltender, but a 22-30 pick they might.

Does anyone know if you go after a RFA and have to give up a pick or multiple picks, can you use one you picked up the rights to in a trade? Might be another good use if they can.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/06/2015 16:47:57
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2015 :  23:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I'd be curious to see how many made it past the 8-10 regular season game, try out before burning 1st year of entry level eligibility on a contract. Think the numbers might be closer to Bean's number by that standard. Either way a 1st round draft pick always has value. Theres always a Zetterburg waiting to be found at the draft. I find the further down the draft you usually find decent players with size or goaltender's. Cant even think of the Oilers wasting a top 10-20 pick on a goaltender, but a 22-30 pick they might.

Does anyone know if you go after a RFA and have to give up a pick or multiple picks, can you use one you picked up the rights to in a trade? Might be another good use if they can.

Not sure if you're just curious about that stat on the 8-10 game thing or if you're thinking we were talking about players in their draft year but that's def not the case. In case you were in fact mistaken, to clarify, we're talking about players drafted in the first round between picks 22-30 who EVER played in the NHL. Not just in their rookie or draft year.

And the RFA thing, I believe it has to be the teams pick as that's why some teams which have dealt their first rounders can't offer sheet guys without those picks!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  13:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thought on the 8-10 games played career wise was the 55% played in the NHL question Beans had posed. My thought were the number would be pretty close for drafts #22-30 to play less than 55% at less than 10 games, but closer to 80-90% for playing a single game. People forget the first 10 games of a players career he is still technically a tryout. No harm in keeping him 8-10 games on the 3-4 line if you don't plan to pay him an NHL sized contract, based on entry level contract rules. I can think of a few players my team gave a few games after the preseason, only to drop them to the minors who never played another NHL game.

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Not sure if you're just curious about that stat on the 8-10 game thing or if you're thinking we were talking about players in their draft year but that's def not the case. In case you were in fact mistaken, to clarify, we're talking about players drafted in the first round between picks 22-30 who EVER played in the NHL. Not just in their rookie or draft year.

And the RFA thing, I believe it has to be the teams pick as that's why some teams which have dealt their first rounders can't offer sheet guys without those picks!

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  13:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Alex on the other answer to my question about RFA's and draft picks. That's what I thought but wasn't certain.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page