Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 If the season started now! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  13:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I always like to look at the first half as a learning experience. By the first half we learn who has improved, who has holes in there lineup and which teams should be diving for draft picks. Of the teams listed before who will have a much better second half. By this I mean who will improve beyond there first half performances.

Choices:

Edmonton
Calgary
Ottawa
Dallas
Buffalo
New Jersey
Carolina
Columbus
Minnesota
Colorado
Arizona
LA
Philly
Toronto
Other

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/19/2015 13:47:22

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  13:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked these teams because they are all on the bottom half of the NHL at the moment. The surprise was LA being in this group. I didn't realize they were currently sitting out of a playoff spot. If I had the room I would have added Florida and Vancouver, but I only had spots for the teams posted and still have room for an other.

No surprise I picked my own team, but I just feel they have room for improvement and I like how they are battling. Having Anderson, Ryan, Karlsson and more home games than away, where there record is much better helps, but if they are to improve like I hope, they need to use the cap space they have to bring in some scoring help, before the deadline while the playoffs are still possible.

I almost picked Edmonton, because being tied for last place they have an improving record and a long losing streak behind them, I don't think they will repeat in the second half.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/19/2015 14:03:03
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  14:22:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The choices for me were between LA, Ott and Colorado (and maybe Philly). LA is prob the easiest choice as they can't be this bad statistically can they? However, I went with Colorado, as I expect Mackinnon to start playing better, along with some of the others who aren't doing so well, and see them as having a shot at moving up the standings? Also helps that they've already started to improve to some degree having a 6-2-2 record over their last 10.

I don't expect much, if any, of an improvement for teams like Edmonton, Buffalo, etc. I mean, with Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel on the horizon, what incentive do these teams have to improve??? I'd sooner expect to see a "tank" job, something many would argue began months ago in Edmonton!!!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  15:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose CBJ, just because they were so decimated by injuries to significant players on their roster in the first half of the year. Combine that with a slow start for Johansen due to his contract dispute, and its no surprise they're out of the playoffs. If they get those players back (or at least most of them back), they should be into the playoffs.

LA is a hard one - the games I've seen them play, they just look off. In past years where they've struggled offensively, they have been able to lean on Quick to bail them out in several low scoring wins. But this year, Quick has been pretty ordinary (if not sub-par), and as a result they're not winning games. They might make a late season push, but this could be an LA-less year in the post season.
Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2015 :  21:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose Dallas. I really do think they have a better team then the record shows, but the bloody West is a hard conference to play in!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  07:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose Dallas myself, but LA and I think Ottawa will also move up.

The wheat will begin to separate from the chaff.
Look it up, lol.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  08:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
Combine that with a slow start for Johansen due to his contract dispute, and its no surprise they're out of the playoffs.

WHOA THERE!!! 13 points in his first 10 games after sitting out training camp? Slow start? What did you want from this guy???

Unless you meant "a slow start for the team without Johansen for the first two games" (both losses)???
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  12:09:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Alex, the reason I picked Edmonton to improve was actually the opposite of why you don't expect them to improve. Out here in Alberta finishing last again and again is starting to get to the fan base. If this team doesn't start improving soon the fan base has already shown how the will stand by this team. Ask Bean's if he had gone to a game during the losing streak. I'd almost suggest the team needed bodyguards to separate team from fans during intermissions. The ice was littered with fan gear during the worst of it. I think Edmonton is just about done with last place 1st pick. But if they decide to free fall it wouldn't be a shock also.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  12:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Hey Alex, the reason I picked Edmonton to improve was actually the opposite of why you don't expect them to improve. Out here in Alberta finishing last again and again is starting to get to the fan base. If this team doesn't start improving soon the fan base has already shown how the will stand by this team. Ask Bean's if he had gone to a game during the losing streak. I'd almost suggest the team needed bodyguards to separate team from fans during intermissions. The ice was littered with fan gear during the worst of it. I think Edmonton is just about done with last place 1st pick. But if they decide to free fall it wouldn't be a shock also.

Fair enough Joshua, but i'll tell you this much, if I were an Oiler fan and the team was "THIS CLOSE" to having a top 2 shot at the draft lottery for McDavid / Eichel, and they suddenly went on a run that, let's face it, will be more or less impossible to be for a playoff spot, I'd be so mad I'm not sure what I'd do??? At this point in the season, what Oiler fan would want to see them climb from 29th to 19th??? FOR WHAT???
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  13:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

Fair enough Joshua, but i'll tell you this much, if I were an Oiler fan and the team was "THIS CLOSE" to having a top 2 shot at the draft lottery for McDavid / Eichel, and they suddenly went on a run that, let's face it, will be more or less impossible to be for a playoff spot, I'd be so mad I'm not sure what I'd do??? At this point in the season, what Oiler fan would want to see them climb from 29th to 19th??? FOR WHAT???

I'd suggest pride and for the fan base. But they could easily revert back to bad habits and losing ways just as fast. Edmonton's fans would rather see winning % versus another sure fired #1 come in and not be a sure thing, again. My team isn't far off of the 19th you speak of and I'd rather see some fight, rather than a dive.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  15:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd suggest pride and for the fan base. But they could easily revert back to bad habits and losing ways just as fast. Edmonton's fans would rather see winning % versus another sure fired #1 come in and not be a sure thing, again. My team isn't far off of the 19th you speak of and I'd rather see some fight, rather than a dive.

We def disagree on this then. I would prefer the Canucks be dead last right this minute, and by a wide margin preferably, than sitting in 19th and even higher. I don't see any need to get excited in Vancouver this season even if they slip in and grab the 6,7 or 8 seed. No way this team is good enough to win 28 playoff games with the current roster imo. I'd love a shot at McDavid personally. And, as for the Oilers, this kid is supposed to be closer to Crosby than a Yakupov or RNH type player. Sure, nothing is a guarantee, but realistically, he's being called things like "the next one" just like Lemieux after Gretzky, Lindros after Lemieux and Crosby after Lindros, etc.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  08:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could see Vancouver take a dive for draft positioning. They haven't had a long history of losing so the fan base wouldn't revolt. They were talking this morning about fan reactions in Edmonton and every win is being celebrated like the playoffs are on the line, which is ridiculous at this point. Last nights win versus Washington was another they could have easily dropped, if Mcdavid is truly there goal. Diving now only gives you better odds at Mcdavid, not a guarantee, as he is no certainty for the last place team and Buffalo is diving just as fast.

Like I have said in the past Edmonton needs a winning culture for this team to take the next step and I don't think that needs to start next October.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We def disagree on this then. I would prefer the Canucks be dead last right this minute, and by a wide margin preferably, than sitting in 19th and even higher. I don't see any need to get excited in Vancouver this season even if they slip in and grab the 6,7 or 8 seed. No way this team is good enough to win 28 playoff games with the current roster imo. I'd love a shot at McDavid personally. And, as for the Oilers, this kid is supposed to be closer to Crosby than a Yakupov or RNH type player. Sure, nothing is a guarantee, but realistically, he's being called things like "the next one" just like Lemieux after Gretzky, Lindros after Lemieux and Crosby after Lindros, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  12:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua - Take a dive now? Vancouver? Great....(sarcasm). They're sitting in 6th in their conference, 20ish points up on a real shot at McDavid or Eichel. Tank now for a shot at 10th-12th overall is hardly worth it. Any drop in performance would not be any sort of intentional tank job at this point. They'd need to sell off some assets for sure if they were going to try to take a big drop in the standings. While I won't be shocked to see them finish 9th-10th in the west and out of the playoff picture, I don't see them selling off a bunch of assets at this point in hopes of dropping drastically in the standings.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  13:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I meant was if Vancouver was in Edmonton's position, they would be more likely to tank due to the fan base being more understanding. Edmonton on purpose or otherwise has been tanking for a decade. The fan base is not taking it well. I am finding it harder and harder to find people in Central Alberta, where I live, who openly cheer for the Oilers without being justifiably pissed at points this season, but who are happy with the current winning record in the last few weeks.

quote:

Joshua - Take a dive now? Vancouver? Great....(sarcasm). They're sitting in 6th in their conference, 20ish points up on a real shot at McDavid or Eichel. Tank now for a shot at 10th-12th overall is hardly worth it. Any drop in performance would not be any sort of intentional tank job at this point. They'd need to sell off some assets for sure if they were going to try to take a big drop in the standings. While I won't be shocked to see them finish 9th-10th in the west and out of the playoff picture, I don't see them selling off a bunch of assets at this point in hopes of dropping drastically in the standings.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/21/2015 13:34:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page