Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 the goalies Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2015 :  08:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, today it's the goalies. I think they have Sawchuk too low, but just my opinion.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-5-greatest-goaltenders-in-nhl-history/

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  15:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_goaltenders_with_300_wins

The way I figure it if your gonna be considered one of the best goaltenders of all time you better have played long enough to have won at least 300 games. Only 12 have won 400, 2 to have won more than 500 and 1 has won 600, Brodeur, which tells you how exclusive the club is. The reason I think 300 is more appropriate is goalies like Hasek, Lundqvist, Miller and Fleury show up on the list and belong in the conversation if only to be controversial.

Cujo, Belfour, Loungo, Barrasso, Sawchuck, Fuhr, Richter, Hall and Vernon all show up on this list and most belonged to some pretty awesome season and post season memories, but have poor career win%. When you look at these names on the list of the top goaltenders in a particular stat most wouldn't look at this list and argue these 8 guys where the best goaltender ever, but a few have fond memories of seasons in which they played on another level. To eliminate them fron the list all you have to do is rank these top 31 winning goalies by winning %

Lundqvist (Rangers)
Brodeur (Devils)
Fleury (Pittsburgh),
Osgood (Detroit),
Roy (Montreal/Colorado),
Miller (Buffalo/St Louis/Vancouver)
Hasek (Buffalo/Ottawa/Detroit),
Plante (Habs/Rangers/Blues/Leafs/Bruins/Oilers),
Moog (Edmonton/Boston/Dallas/Montreal)
Kiprusoff (Calgary).

Some of these guys you could argue got there on the strength of how good the team was in front of them, but to me this is a pretty decent way to rate a best of all time list. Can you win a lot over the course of a long career. You will notice on almost every in-season stat category, Brodeur is almost always ahead of Roy, unless you consider post season #'s, where Brodeur is behind Roy in pretty much every category here. Brodeur is my personal favorite for #1 all time. Very surprised Lundqvist leads this list and super surprised Osgood, Fleury, Miller and Moog made this cut.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 07/22/2015 15:18:22
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2015 :  17:12:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I understand Joshua? Are you saying that list is the top 10 all time win %? And if so, that's how you're gonna judge the best goalies ever?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2015 :  10:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You had to read the whole article with comments for Umtemans link. There were 2 names on the best of all time list that were not from recent memory Sawchuk and Plante, plus a few who were not included because they are active players. I wanted to propose a list that contradicted some of the suggested players in the article.

Lundqvist for instance doesn't make there list yet if you look at his career numbers is statistically right up there and may end his career above some of the others listed.

Roy is suggested as the #1 all time and I believe Brodeur should be on top, but that's subjective and opinion based.

I don't think Sawchuk belongs on the list but believe because of his actions he changed the game for goaltenders, so I understand why they included him on the list.

I have heard in the past that Dryden belongs on the list by people who remember him play but if you analyse the list without ever seeing him play you would wonder what he did, not cup wins(if you factor in the strength of the teams he played on), that makes people think he deserves to be high on the list.

I really didn't know enough about Plante to have an opinion but after finding out more I can understand his inclusion to greatest of all time.

I was also surprised how high Hasek ranked on the list in the article for all time, but when factoring in his win % I can totally understand.

Funny but after analysing the greatest of all time I Think Lundqvist, Moog, Osgood, Miller, Kiprusoff and especially Fleury have all been underated based on there accomplishment's based on how they stack up to there peers.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page