Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Edmonton in the 2015/16 Standings Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  14:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
There have been many major changes to the Oilers lineup most notably the #1 pick in McDavid, a few smart pickups Gryba, Talbot and a new coach. Just figured I would ask where the Oilers will end up.

Choices:

Not enough changes bottom of the west, 15th again!
Small changes, needs time to gel 14-12 in the west
Enough changes to challenge for playoffs 11-8
Should be good enough for the playoffs 8+

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  08:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they'll challenge for the playoffs but I think they'll come up just short. It should however, be a good building year and experience gaining season for the young core and inevitably they'll be better for it as they become a more serious contender over the next 4 years.

I do think it's possible they sneak into the playoffs in the 7 or 8 seed, but that will take some really good play by Talbot. I'm not sold on this guy just yet, but basically only because of his lack of experience, especially with a far less defensive team than he's used to. You have to keep in mind this "kid" is 28 and has only played parts of 2 seasons in the NHL, both with guys like Ryan McDonagh, Marc Staal, Dan Girardi, etc in front of him. While the Oilers D should be much improved, it is still a work in progress. IMO, Talbot is still unproven and coming into a situation like Edmonton, will prob put more pressure on him than most would think. We'll see how he does and I can't see Scrivens being much to push him but if Nilsson makes this team, maybe he pushes for the #1 gig?
Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  15:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed with Alex.

I feel like they will be in the 9/10 spot, but not TRULY challenging for a spot. More like Dallas was last year, some real signs of hope and talent but still that 5-10 points out that really wasn't THAT close at the end of the day.

Honestly, as long as we aren't eliminated from the playoffs in Novemeber again, I'll call that a success.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  16:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's easy to say they could squeeze in, but realistically, if the numbers are similar to last year in regards to points needed to make the playoffs, the Oilers would need a 35pt increase! That's unheard of! I don't care how good McDavid is and the other talent around him, which could be argued has underperformed up to this point in their careers, that's a crazy number to improve by, especially considering their d is still not strong and their goaltending in fairness is still a little unknown/unproven.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2015 :  21:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Until they improve their D and goaltending in a meaningful way, they will not seriously challenge in the west. But they will certainly improve over last year, there is no denying that McDavid is a very good player, and improves an already good young crop of forwards. But the west is too strong to be able to rely on a single guy to improve (as Alex points out) 35 points.

I am sure they'll finish ahead of ARI, but after that it gets tough.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  13:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That absolutely brutal against the west result last year is what did them in. 9-30-11 or 18% losing record in the west and if my memory is correct they didn't win there first game against a west opponent for the first 2 months. That was totally unheard of prior to the long losing streak. If they can start winning right away in there own division/conference at a 30-40% rate which is attainable, that could net them a 10-20 points increase, just in interconference play. Against the East Edmonton did quite well. 32 games vs the East Edmonton ended up going 15-14-3 last year. 35 point improvement is a big hill to climb to make the playoffs, but I would say that Edmonton might have picked up another 10-15 points last season if the result had have been better than no net gain at all, because they were almost post season eliminated by xmas.

The goaltending should be better, the defense should be better and the forward core is getting better and better every year. New coach, new management, no reason to fail, where as last year they made no changes and expected a different result. No reason to think that this isn't the year for a drastic improvement.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  14:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sekera did not look good in preseason and he's the only defenseman that you could argue is a top pairing guy. What the oilers have is 2 or 3 second pairing defenseman and like 6 3rd pairing D. The only way the oilers have a chance is if Klefbom or Schultz emerge as an elite top pairing D or if Petey C trades for somebody better.

Oh yeah, goaltending has to hold up too...
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  15:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I haven't caught a preseason game for the Oilers yet. Was washing my hair, but is the defense that bad? Didn't they win most of there preseason games. Schultz, Gryba, Ferrence, Sekera, Reinhart, Fayne, Klefbom don't sound great but it is an improvement on last year. BTW, where's Nurse on this depth chart. I don't see him listed as to whether he is gonna play in the NHL or back to the minors?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  15:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read that the Oilers were only likely to keep one of Reinhart or Nurse. Looks like Nurse is back in the minors until he earns a call up I guess?

Klefbom could be good, but I think he may be more offensive than an all around dman? Is he capable of top pairing? Now? Might be a stretch, but he could mature into this for sure and I think the Oilers expect him to considering the deal they signed him to. I think he'd need a solid defensive guy to play with him and perhaps in a year or two, that guy could be Reinhart? Tough to say as he's been slow to develop.

Def can see an improvement in this team's point total, but if they can improve by 30+ points, that's be pretty amazing!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  11:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody watch last nights game against Dallas? Heard Mcdavid got his first and Nilsson played a decent game in the loss to Dallas. I have been watching Nilsson's career for a while and think he was a decent pickup for the Oilers. Tough to have his first game for the Oilers against 52 shots, a decent .941 save % in a losing cause.

Because I wasn't able to watch the full game I just wanted to know if the Oilers were playing as bad as the shot clock or was Dallas that good?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2015 :  15:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't see it, but from the reports I read, as well as the highlights and commentary I saw, the Oilers D is still a LONG way from being respectable. Nilsson stopped a career high 48 shots and supposedly was hung out to dry and played well but not many teams can win while giving up that many shots against, that's for sure!!!

Nilsson will be interesting to watch. I'm not entirely sold on Cam Talbot's body of work as I've mentioned in other posts and while he didn't win AND gave up 4, it sounds like Nilsson didn't have a whole lot of help?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  14:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 games later and Edmonton has hauled themselves out of the basement. 2 strong games from Mcdavid, Hall, Yakopov and the goalies, defense looked decent. Not saying this team is perfect, but definitely treading the right direction. Mcdavid now leads the team in points and goals. I am not necessarily a Yakopov fan, but could this finally be his breakout season.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page