Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Dobber
 Ramblings: Andersen, Vlasic, Ekholm and more... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  12:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What we saw last year is being confirmed this season. NHL GM’s are not stupid people. They learn. They adapt. If you want to help your team for the playoffs you need to not only get your guy, but you also need to give him time to integrate his style into the team’s style. So making a trade in advance of the trade deadline ensures both of those things. On Trade Deadline Day, expect it to be very quiet until around 2pm and then perhaps 15-20 trades real quick. But only one or two will be called ‘significant’. Instead, keep checking in here for our breakdowns because I have a feeling that four days won’t go by without a trade between now and 19 days from now.

For the last 10 years I have been breaking down trades on NHL Deadline Day as they happen. I don’t break the trade, but usually within a half hour I’ll have a solid analysis up for you so you can make a snap decision in your own league (for your own league’s deadline). I’ve done this longer than anyone in fantasy hockey – you know my track record (unless you’re new to the site)

Also, for quick references on traded players, bookmark here and here. That’s the link for the player profiles (that I put together from what I want in a player profile, top to bottom) and the link for prospect profiles.

Yes, I do think the Leafs are trying to free up as much cap space as possible to get Steven Stamkos in the summer. I also think the Lightning would be smart to let Stamkos go. They have built a team that can score without him, and tying up their salary on him will do more harm than good.

For what it’s worth, I thought the Leafs would make a huge splash with Dustin Byfuglien and Stamkos. So perhaps they sign David Backes instead. Add some leadership. And a good stay-at-home defenseman with experience such as Dan Hamhuis. If they can get Hamhuis on a low term, and the Backes ask isn’t too ridiculous, then this is doable. Add William Nylander and a second prospect (Zach Hyman? Tobias Lindberg?) and the Leafs take a big step forward next year.

This is unbelievable in this day and age, but 94 shots were fired on net last night in the Los Angeles – Boston game. The Kings had 57 of them. Yes, the Sutter-coached Kings had 57 shots on goal.

I’ll take “Kings Skaters Who Didn’t Get a Point Last Night”, for $500 Alex. The correct response is – “Who are Brayden McNabb, Alex Martinez and Jordan Nolan?”

The downside of 15 players picking up a point for the winning team in a 9-2 victory – there probably aren’t any gaudy point totals. And that’s exactly true for this game. Not one player had three points and Anze Kopitar had just one. Kopitar owners, tell me your eyes didn’t light up when you saw the 9-2 score. Tell me! And now tell me of your crushing disappointment as you opened up and read the box score line by line. D’oh!

Dustin Brown had two points though. In fact, Brown has been on a roll of late. And no you’re not reading a Ramblings from 2011. He’s actually on a roll. Seven points in his last six games to go with 22 SOG and 15 Hits. He’s been playing with Kopitar and Milan Lucic and although he’s not getting any PP time, he seems to be doing just fine with those guys (for now).

Bad news for Tanner Pearson owners. The first time he gets a healthy scratch this season and his team scores nine goals. It may prove difficult for him to get back in.

The Steven Stamkos line has gone ice cold. Stamkos himself has just three points in seven games while in that same span Ondrej Palat and Vladislav Namestnikov have just three and one respectively. If the (new) Triplets pick up the slack, then there’s no problem. But the last two games, Johnson – Killorn – Kucherov haven’t been great. Something will give here, they just ran into a hot goalie.

Yes, I was referring to Ben Scrivens. No, I don’t need my head checked.

Scrivens has won three in a row and he’s stopped 94 of 98 shots. The Habs go on the road now, but they do play Buffalo and Arizona the next two games. Scrivens is a safe play for those two games and probably the three after that as well.

I really thought Jakob Silfverberg had turned the corner. I really did. But he’s gone five games without a point now so we’re back to the same old thing. Prior to that he had 11 points in eight games. I used to call this the “Cam Atkinson”, but I think I’ll start calling it the “Jakob Silfverberg”.

I get criticized (more and more as time goes by) about my steady stance that Frederik Andersen is better than John Gibson. Fantasy owners are so in love with Gibson and they always have been, never taking Andersen seriously. If Andersen walks away as a free agent, the Ducks will be fine. Gibson is a great goalie. I’m just saying that Andersen is better. His numbers on the season are better. His numbers last season were better. His numbers lately are better. He’s better.

Here are the last seven games:

Andersen: 6-0-0, 1.61 GAA, 0.942 SV%
Gibson: 4-3-0, 2.93 GAA, 0.893 SV%

And I’m positive that almost to a man (or woman), fantasy owners prefer Gibson. So the play here is to trade your Gibson for Andersen and get another asset in the deal. You’d upgrade the goalie and you get that other asset. Meanwhile, the other sucker things he or she stole the better goalie from you.

The streak continues for Shayne Gostisbehere. Points in nine straight.

When Marcus Johansson had to sit due to injury he was on a roll with 15 points in 14 games. He returned last night and picked up three more points. A word of caution: he’s playing with Jason Chimera and Tom Wilson on the third line. And the top two lines are in stone. However, Johansson is getting top PP time.

Andre Burakovsky has points in eight straight.

Since the Seth Jones trade, Mattias Ekholm has been getting regular power-play time. He has 10 points in the 14 games since that trade, with two of those points on the power play. Ekholm is a worthy own.

Quite the game for Alex Petrovic. Two points, plus-4, 29 PIM, two SOG, a hit and a blocked shot. In his last six games he has four points, plus-6, 31 PIM, 11 Hits and nine SOG. He’s starting to make his presence felt in leagues that count physical categories.

Also, he had a fight with Evander Kane.

I think Evander Kane is 3-0 in (their) fights…He also had a goal and 29 PIM. So although he’s on pace for a measly 34 points this season, he’s looking good for 100 PIM and 200 Hits.

Since Jake Allen went down with an injury Brian Elliott is 7-3-3, 1.74 GAA and 0.946 SV%

Vladimir Tarasenko’s current slump – one point in his last seven games, three in his last 11.

John Tavares has 10 points in his last seven games. He was my predicted player to lead all scorers in the second half. That’s obviously not gonna happen thanks to ‘The Kid’…but it’s looking like Tavares could be second.

Marc-Edouard Vlasic has points in five straight. He also has 18 points in his last 22 games. Say what?

Written by Dobber of www.dobberhockey.com

Have an opinion on this article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep your head up. And don't forget to visit our Dobber Hockey friends at www.dobberhockey.com/
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com
PickupHockey.com and the owners of PickupHockey.com do not necessarily endorse the opinions expressed on its website of the volunteer writers. The opinions expressed here in this and other posts are solely the opinions of the writers.

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2016 :  07:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Leafs:
I have no clue why in the world you would think Shanahan and Lou would want another 2nd line centre in the soon to be overpaid Backes. Like, if you think the Leafs have a chance at Stamkos, why would they need Backes too? You do realize that Kadri and Bozak are still on the team as centres, right? And you understand that Nylander will most assuredly be in the lineup next year, probably as a centre.

Can nearly guarantee that the Leafs don't touch Backes with a ten ft pole... he'd be wrong age, he's getting slow, and would have to be given more than 3 or 4 years to get him. No way.

You further cement your ignorance on the Leafs when you mention the newly acquired Lindberg and Hyman as their best prospects to fit in the lineup next year (After Nylander, I assume ). There are better and higher ceiling guys ahead of them (like Shoshnikov, Kapanen, Connor Brown, Timashov, etc) who would all be ahead of Hyman and Lindberg currently.

In short, this article is poorly researched, and uninformative.
2 thumbs down.

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  13:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

On the Leafs:
I have no clue why in the world you would think Shanahan and Lou would want another 2nd line centre in the soon to be overpaid Backes. Like, if you think the Leafs have a chance at Stamkos, why would they need Backes too? You do realize that Kadri and Bozak are still on the team as centres, right? And you understand that Nylander will most assuredly be in the lineup next year, probably as a centre.

Can nearly guarantee that the Leafs don't touch Backes with a ten ft pole... he'd be wrong age, he's getting slow, and would have to be given more than 3 or 4 years to get him. No way.

You further cement your ignorance on the Leafs when you mention the newly acquired Lindberg and Hyman as their best prospects to fit in the lineup next year (After Nylander, I assume ). There are better and higher ceiling guys ahead of them (like Shoshnikov, Kapanen, Connor Brown, Timashov, etc) who would all be ahead of Hyman and Lindberg currently.

In short, this article is poorly researched, and uninformative.
2 thumbs down.

Wow, I reread what admin posted here and I don't think you got very far in reading his comments about Toronto. He suggested the Leafs were trying to land Stamkos, but if they didn't they might resign Boyes. Nowhere did he state a long term overpay for him, he did however point out Stamkos is continuing to struggle this year.

Your comment about the prospects might be correct with your assessment of Toronto's prospect depth, but really to call it poorly researched and stupid? You think your list is better great, but I don't think it deserved your response.

Then you have the comment about who are the current centers for Toronto which is an obvious ignorant comment. Did you know points per 60 minutes of playing time Boyes on a 1 year value contract 1/6th of what Kadri is paid, is about the same pace as Kadri, having had nowhere near the quality of linemates as Kadri. Maybe as the admin suggested, Toronto would be better suited to keep him and lose the other centers, who your are correct are overpaid (Bozak, Kadri), which your opinion states are better than his suggestion. Poorly researched response and a stupid rebuttal (using your words) to an otherwise informative post by the admin. You owe the Admin an apology.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 02/14/2016 13:07:35
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  08:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Wow, I reread what admin posted here and I don't think you got very far in reading his comments about Toronto. He suggested the Leafs were trying to land Stamkos, but if they didn't they might resign Boyes. Nowhere did he state a long term overpay for him, he did however point out Stamkos is continuing to struggle this year.

Your comment about the prospects might be correct with your assessment of Toronto's prospect depth, but really to call it poorly researched and stupid? You think your list is better great, but I don't think it deserved your response.

Then you have the comment about who are the current centers for Toronto which is an obvious ignorant comment. Did you know points per 60 minutes of playing time Boyes on a 1 year value contract 1/6th of what Kadri is paid, is about the same pace as Kadri, having had nowhere near the quality of linemates as Kadri. Maybe as the admin suggested, Toronto would be better suited to keep him and lose the other centers, who your are correct are overpaid (Bozak, Kadri), which your opinion states are better than his suggestion. Poorly researched response and a stupid rebuttal (using your words) to an otherwise informative post by the admin. You owe the Admin an apology.

First off - it's a post from DOBBER, and it's re-posted by the ADMIN. Unless our ADMIN is claiming to be Dobber, than it's not a piece written by him.

I'll go through your points one by one:
quote:
He suggested the Leafs were trying to land Stamkos, but if they didn't they might resign Boyes. Nowhere did he state a long term overpay for him, he did however point out Stamkos is continuing to struggle this year.

Um, no where did he mention Boyes. He mentioned Backes.

I talk about how if the Leafs are going after Stamkos (referring to Dobber's article which states that they may be clearing up cap space for him) then, it's totally irrelevant and unnecessary to sign an aging and slow Backes when you have the potential for a logjam at centre, IF you get Stamkos and even if you trade Bozak.

Then you state that he never mentioned a long term overpay "for him" - unclear whether you mean Stamkos, or Backes (not Boyes, who you incorrectly refer to). And . . . I am not sure why you mention that, as I never accuse Dobber of saying anything like that - I merely postulate that to sign Backes as a free agent, a contract of some length would be required, and it would be an overpayment for sure. That's all.

quote:

Ok. I think it did. That's why it's called an opinion.
When a paid writer like Dobber puts out an article, and it involves the Leafs - the league's most talked about, most blogged team, and with the most fans of any team - I expect a MODICUM of knowledge. The reference to what prospects are on board for next year only displayed utter ignorance, in my opinion, hence my reaction.

If you don't think it deserved that response, on what basis do you take that from? Do a quick 5 minute google on Leafs prospects, how they are rated, and who might play next year. Now re-read the article. Now form an opinion on what my take was. THEN, my friend, you will see what I am talking about.

quote:

I don't know even where to start with this Joshua. Honestly . . . ok. I'll try.
- no, my comments on the centres for Toronto is not ignorant - go and fact check yourself, on any Leafs blog
- Boyes is not a centre for the Leafs, he's been playing RW exclusively
- Boyes has never been mentioned by myself or Dobber
- the Leafs would never keep Boyes to replace Kadri or Bozak . . . that would be ludicrous. Boyes is basically washed up, and will be certainly dealt at the deadline, despite what you may think by quickly looking up stats per 60min. Boyes has had very soft opposition, unlike Kadri getting top pairings, and this is by design because Babcock knows how to expertly elevate value for guys on one year contracts.
- I cannot understand from your wording what you really say after all that
- ironic that you call my response "poorly researched and a stupid rebuttal", trying to throw back my own phrase, when you yourself have repeatedly used a player's name that was never mentioned
- no, I don't owe the Admin an apology . . . he posted an article by Dobber, and I commented on it. It's not an attack on the Admin, it's a commentary on Dobber. Dobber has had okay articles in the past, this one is riddled with errors - so I commented on that, that's my right as a poster I believe. I expect a much higher standard!

sigh.

Edited by - n/a on 02/18/2016 08:48:47
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  13:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't often admit this, but when I wrong I am wrong. Clearly Boyes and Backes are different players. I obviously misunderstood and thought you were being disrespectful to the admin, not really getting the admin had copied and pasted a dobber post.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page